4th Place

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 05:17 AM)
oh good god

Brewers, Phillies, Braves, Reds, Padres, Twins, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays. Do you understand talent distribution and how little left handed pitching there is in the majors Duke would get sucked up in a heart beat at his current contract.

Back. My back hurts, but that's mostly due to work. Not sure what you're saying here otherwise, because if I don't/can't have sex, I choke my chicken. Are you trying to make a Hawkism relevant in a non-relevant situation? Because that's what it looks like. I also call it spanking the monkey.

Of course Jennings isn't special. He still throws 93 from the left side with a semblance of command. He'd get eaten up immediately.

(also, no there are not. There are similar, but this one is throws hard, and has command. While there are many that throw harder and have better command, this one is the White Sox, and no one else shall have him)

Well, #1, it takes one hit. How about Heathcliff Slocumb from the Red Sox to the Mariners? You remember that one, right? Or Doyle Alexander from the Braves to the Tigers for some prospect named John Smoltz. I'm sure there are more recent examples, but you still don't make sense because

#2 OH HEY GUYS, DON'T DO WHAT THE BEST TEAM IN THE MAJORS HAS DONE, THEY'RE THE CUBS, THEY SUCK, WHAT A BUNCH OF WUSSIES

#3 this has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I expect him to actually make more pitchers than he has "good." Quintana doesn't have many quotes in the press - understandable. Sale does. Sale said he was trying to cut down on his pitches and would work more towards contact so he can work deeper into games. Is that something he came up with on his own or did he have a heart to heart sit down with Don Cooper on that? So what has Don Cooper done that's so good? I like the guy. When he's the pitching coach for my favorite team, and I haven't seen a thing but a turnstile of pitchers, I'm going to light fires.

There are 29 teams in the major leagues. If I had the power to put him on waivers, I would do so to prove a point, but I imagine that, given his contract, there'd be like 4-5 teams who would NOT claim Duke on waivers given his current contract.

Thanks for qualifying it as "rookie," so that way you can eliminate Peavy, Sale, Liriano, Jones, Floyd, Thornton, Crain, Myers, and, oh, Will Ohman. The miracle workers for that team were Alex Rios and AJ Pierzynski, because had they posted their normal career numbers, that would have been a 78 win team.

---

I'd feel bad not ending this with an ALL HAIL DONALD COOPER

Thornton was done the moment Jim Thome touched him up in the 2nd half of 2010...even though he lived on until this day in the big leagues.

Forgot Jones, 3 rookies. Considering where he was drafted and his lack of success starting, that has to qualify as another success overall.

Crain is an example that supports the Don Cooper Theory of Excellence. (Brett Myers and Liriano do not).

And the fact that Jake Peavy could be rehabilitated through a once in a lifetime surgery and come out the other side AND get back Avi/Montas or Iglesias and not have to subsidize any of his salary was a minor Don miracle. (Except for when he faced the Tigers that year).

Myers and Ohman? More indictments of KW/Hahn.

HAIL HAHN!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
Thornton was done the moment Jim Thome touched him up in the 2nd half of 2010...even though he lived on until this day in the big leagues.

Forgot Jones, 3 rookies. Considering where he was drafted and his lack of success starting, that has to qualify as another success overall.

Crain is an example that supports the Don Cooper Theory of Excellence. (Brett Myers and Liriano do not).

And the fact that Jake Peavy could be rehabilitated through a once in a lifetime surgery and come out the other side AND get back Avi/Montas or Iglesias and not have to subsidize any of his salary was a minor Don miracle. (Except for when he faced the Tigers that year).

HAIL HAHN!

So if the front office gets a pitcher, say Felipe Paulino, and he fails, it's the fault of the front office, but if he succeeds, it's Don Cooper's success.

Right on.

stormtrooper_hump.gif

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 07:04 AM)
If Sox could have just played .500 ball they'd be in great shape.

If the Sox just played 12-13, and in the process gave the Indians and Tigers one loss each, and the Royals two losses in that road series, the standings would be:

Sox 35-23 --

Cle 31-26 3.5

Det 29-29 6.0

KC 28-30 7.0

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 04:15 AM)
"An 8 game lead over the Tigers on May 6th turns into a 1 game lead for DET over the White Sox 24 games later."

Ventura was not content on just having the worst collapse in Sox history (2012). Now he's got something to rival it.

I prefer to look at the fact we are just 3 1/2 games out

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 04:15 AM)
"An 8 game lead over the Tigers on May 6th turns into a 1 game lead for DET over the White Sox 24 games later."

Ventura was not content on just having the worst collapse in Sox history (2012). Now he's got something to rival it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:28 AM)
Actually, it's nowhere near impossible to go 6-19. Both the Astros ('05) and Twins ('06) were 15+ games UNDER .500 and still managed to either proceed to the World Series or win the division in what was then a stacked division. If this team is who we think it is, and adding James Shields helps a bunch (and by a bunch, I mean by one win, as long as it is Latos who goes, because he should be serving batting practice with that flat-ass fastball, not Matt Albergers), then they'll be OK. If the bullpen continues to truly implode, then fire Don Cooper. He's in charge of the pitching staff, isn't he? At what point do you hold those people who fail at their jobs accountable? Tommy LaSorda is one of the greatest managers of all time, but I don't want that guy running this team. Maybe it's time for a change in pitching coaches.

Seriously, what has Don Cooper done for me lately?

#HOTTAKE

Fire Cooper before Robin? lol.

Ok.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)

"Uh, this is your captain speaking ... some of you may have noticed that we're no longer at our cruising altitude and are now at 5,000 feet. I'd like to point out that both wings are missing and there's a hole in the fuselage, but at least we have not plunged into the ground yet, so sit back and relax. The drink cart should be through shortly ..."

If Robin goes he's just the fall-guy. Frankly, the sooner-the better, so that if the losing continues the blame can be focused squarely where it belongs ... the FO and ownership. The entire organization is failing, from scouting and player development all the way to personnel decisions in the FO. It all leads back to only one man and his refusal to shake things up. I keep hoping that his refusal to rebuild is an indicator of his time-frame for selling the team. I'm honestly torn. They need a rebuild but I have zero faith in the current lot to do the rebuilding.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)

HAIL HAHN!

Now Peavy is a Cooper success story? A month ago you wrote how overrated he was and mentioned erroneously he never beat Detroit. Get your stories straight.

Besides if it's Robin's fault all these guys suck, it must be to his credit Peavy was good after the surgery since he managed him then. Forget the surgeon. He had nothing to do with it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)
Of course, Chris Carter had 5 RBI's tonight and now has 16 and 39.

Trayce Thompson has been hitting 3rd and now 5th for the Dodgers the last two nights.

Marcus Semien has a 743 OPS for the A's, which would be 770-780ish in a favorable hitting environment.

But we do have that draft pick instead of Semien AND Desmond.

This post made me LOL.