Start with the chairman calling his ballclub 'miserable failures&#

whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
I got that. What I don't get is what he thinks it will accomplish if JR does it. Do the players not know they have sucked? Do the fans not know they have sucked? Does management not know this team has sucked? What exactly does this achieve?

Nothing, which is why JR would never do it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
Maybe but it won't help the team. The whole point of anything should be to help the team not just to satisfy the bloodlust of some fans.

For the season they are 1 game under .500. They need to try to fix it and then decide in the off season what the best way to help the team is.

Bingo.

I got that. What I don't get is what he thinks it will accomplish if JR does it. Do the players not know they have sucked? Do the fans not know they have sucked? Does management not know this team has sucked? What exactly does this achieve?

Ideally it makes the relationship between Chris Sale and the White Sox untenable and he demands a trade. You just hope they'd keep it under wraps for the benefit of all parties involved and deal him with little fanfare.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Not many employers keep you around after failing miserably for years and years non stop.

And the reason for the failure is the lack of public humiliation. Why Robin doesn't scream at players for everyone to see when they screw up is the biggest reason they fail. Why he doesn't throw them under a bus during his press conferences is managerial failure. JR not publicly calling out Hahn after Shields' start last night...mindboggling. Meathead fans are correct, trying to make fools out of people works.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
It got John Danks released, Jerry Sands released, and the Shields trade.

3 OD roster spots down, 22 to go, ha.

In all honesty, I think silence is better than the public humiliation, but at this point, I'm down to try anything. When I thought JR had actually said that, my thinking was "Why not, it can't get any worse".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)

In all honesty, I think silence is better than the public humiliation, but at this point, I'm down to try anything. When I thought JR had actually said that, my thinking was "Why not, it can't get any worse".

All public humiliation shows is that you can't handle your business in house. Public humiliation should never come from inside of an organization.

Southsider2k5 will enjoy this one from a yahoo board...

"I give the White Sox management staff credit for trying to put a winner on the field every day. Truth is, they are not a big market team despite playing in Chicago. They do not get the revenue from ticket sales of a big market team nor do they get the advertising dollars from radio and TV ratings. It will also be 2020 before they can get the kind of TV deal other teams are now getting.

What the White Sox really need to do is rebuild instead of retool. It is tough to buy a championship team and there is no consistency from year-to-year trying to win with other team's players. You do not always know what you are getting (Adam LaRoche for example).

You can go to Cuba for talent (Jose Abreu) but don't always know what you are getting (Dayan Viciedo).

In the last 10+ years, the best position players the White Sox have developed have been Tyler Flowers and Gordon Beckham. That is not good.

But Sox fans will never let management rebuild, so they continue to retool and have to do so with limited funds. The White Sox were off to the best start in the AL this year, but their attendance figures were 12th out of 15 teams in the league. Again, the White Sox are not a big market team. They need to rebuild the minor league system. They cannot afford to do it any other way."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Southsider2k5 will enjoy this one from a yahoo board...

"I give the White Sox management staff credit for trying to put a winner on the field every day. Truth is, they are not a big market team despite playing in Chicago. They do not get the revenue from ticket sales of a big market team nor do they get the advertising dollars from radio and TV ratings. It will also be 2020 before they can get the kind of TV deal other teams are now getting.

What the White Sox really need to do is rebuild instead of retool. It is tough to buy a championship team and there is no consistency from year-to-year trying to win with other team's players. You do not always know what you are getting (Adam LaRoche for example).

You can go to Cuba for talent (Jose Abreu) but don't always know what you are getting (Dayan Viciedo).

In the last 10+ years, the best position players the White Sox have developed have been Tyler Flowers and Gordon Beckham. That is not good.

But Sox fans will never let management rebuild, so they continue to retool and have to do so with limited funds. The White Sox were off to the best start in the AL this year, but their attendance figures were 12th out of 15 teams in the league. Again, the White Sox are not a big market team. They need to rebuild the minor league system. They cannot afford to do it any other way."

That positional player comment is not entirely true. Semien is fine, Trayce seems solid. Also De Aza. But I get the point.

Edited by Special K

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
That positional player comment is not entirely true. Semien is fine, Trayce seems solid. Also De Aza. But I get the point.

They didn't develop De Aza. He was a waiver claim from the Marlins.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
What i got from the article is that the players suck and the front office and RV are fine. Correct me if i am wrong.

I know Steve and I can tell you he's wondering about the Shields deal because Hahn is considered an analytics guy and all the numbers are pointing towards Shields declining.

He can't figure that one out unless the deal wasn't really Hahn's.

Just passing it along.

And I saw nothing wrong with the column, the Sox because of their play on the field deserve to be called out. Again just my opinion.

The only way the massive desperately needed changes might be made, again I said MIGHT is perhaps through embarrassing them publicly as much as they are doing it themselves.

No guarantees of course but as others have pointed out, everyone is frustrated as hell.

If nothing else it's nice to me that someone in the media even cares enough about the Sox to write something...anything at this point.

Mark

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)

Actions speak louder than words. Right now, there are neither words nor any actions happening to give the fans any meaningful indication that the Sox are trying to pull themselves out of this rut they've been in for several years now. This is Year Five of the Reinsdorf/Williams/Hahn/Ventura/Cooper management configuration, and the results rendered to date have been horrendous. This is reflected in the big "F" the fans have given the club on its report card, manifested through the continued atrocious attendance and low TV ratings. What, if anything, is being done to turn the tide on all of this?

We the fans seem to be having the same discussions today about the plight of this ballclub that we had a year ago today, two years ago today, three years ago today, so on and so forth. So while words alone coming from Reinsdorf won't make a difference, at least it would be some evidence that there's a pulse in the front office over at 35th and Shields.

How does this myth keep going that Sox fans won't tolerate a rebuild?

That seems to be the rationale for whatever-the-f*** this approach has been for years now--oh, no! We can't clean house and rebuild or Sox fans will stop coming forever!

Huh? I would go. I would rather see some promising youngsters lose with some effort rather than the corpseball we've been fed for damn near a decade.

Didn't the Cubs basically rebuild? Not just on the field but in the front office? How's that working out for them now?

I'm tired of hearing that supposed reason as a rationale not to do it.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)

That seems to be the rationale for whatever-the-f*** this approach has been for years now--oh, no! We can't clean house and rebuild or Sox fans will stop coming forever!

Huh? I would go. I would rather see some promising youngsters lose with some effort rather than the corpseball we've been fed for damn near a decade.

Didn't the Cubs basically rebuild? Not just on the field but in the front office? How's that working out for them now?

If we had the Cubs fan base, we would have done this years ago.

Agreed. I don't know what this perception is based on. Even if attendance dips by a few thousand per game over the next 2-3 years, if they can successfully rebuild and put together a consistent winner for a 4-5 year stretch, it will more than offset the near term losses. I think the fear from ownership is that rebuilding doesn't necessarily guarantee success and they are right in some sense but it is also an indictment on the front office and scouting if they think this way. Still, there are may teams throughout MLB with below average fanbases/attendance that have been willing to undertake major roster overhauls in recent years (Braves, Reds, Brewers, etc.) - not sure what makes the White Sox any different.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-025146341.html

Speaking of public humiliation....not a good look for White Sox fans (being called out for booing a pitcher in his very first performance for the team, although some of it must be related to the carryover of knowing what happened against the Mariners in his previous start), for Robin Ventura OR for Rick Hahn.

National media starting to really turn on Robin.

Probably not. They now acknowledge his existence.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Ideally it makes the relationship between Chris Sale and the White Sox untenable and he demands a trade. You just hope they'd keep it under wraps for the benefit of all parties involved and deal him with little fanfare.

That's how a fan thinks. It's really not like that with athletes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)

Silence in this case is drop in attendance.

I've been watching the White Sox since I was in 7th grade and the Sox were in the '59 World Series. This is the most disappointed, by far, that I have been with a White Sox team. I'd prefer a house cleaning from owner on down, but I'm realistic and know that will not happen. A sad state of affairs.

I too would love a full rebuild. The plan in place is going so poorly that the White Sox (with the front office "going for it") are about to draft a player in the top 10 for the 3rd consecutive year.

the last half of 2013 and all of 2014, the Sox were rebuilding and there was a ton of complaining around here. Everyone still holds the record during that time against the manager.

I don't think many who are calling for a rebuild truly understand what a rebuild entails.