White Sox Frustration Thread

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
Not inconsistent. If I am not mistaken, Einhorn, when his group purchased the Sox, said the Sox were going to be run more professionally. This franchise now is more of a joke that at the time it was purchased from Bill Veeck.

I appreciate that sentiment, but that was a lifetime ago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
2001 White Sox with David Wells' memorable comments as well as bad bad, Thomas getting injured in pre-season (Achilles), Jose Canseco later on the team...did later fight back to get over .500 in June/July but coudn't get much past it.

14-29 start.

That's right. They and the 91 Brewers are the only two teams to be 15 down at one point yet still have a winning season. Considering half the pitching staff was out with serious injuries or just coming off surgery winning 83 games was amazing.

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
It is funny that Bill Veeck is revered like he is, while JR is criticized for how little the team has made the playoffs. How many times did the Sox make the playoffs while Veeck owned the team?

To be fair that was a much different time. In his first ownership only one team in each league made the playoffs.

Veeck had his faults and the idea that he a savior is overblown, many think his deals after 59 put the Sox in such a hole that he had to return in 75 to keep the team from moving to Seattle. And he had some of the richest people in America as his partners yet he refuses to go to them for money and in fact promised them he'd turn a profit for them every year.

Met him twice, very nice man but let's just say he could have done a lot better with the franchise had he wanted to.

Mark

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Not inconsistent. If I am not mistaken, Einhorn, when his group purchased the Sox, said the Sox were going to be run more professionally. This franchise now is more of a joke that at the time it was purchased from Bill Veeck.

That's complete true. I asked Mike Veeck about some of the things I heard:

ML: That group made the first in a long line of faux paux when Eddie Einhorn made a statement the day they bought the club along the lines of ‘we’re going to start running a first class operation.’ Many Sox fans and reportedly your dad were shocked and insulted by that comment. Making it worse was that your dad was right there when it was said. How did your dad and the Veeck family feel about that comment?

MV: “We have never equated money with class. Just because we didn’t wear two hundred dollar shirts and three thousand dollar suits didn’t mean we didn’t have manners or didn’t respect other people. The one thing that my family has always done first and foremost was respect the fans of baseball and the game of baseball.”

ML: I have heard that supposedly, Eddie Einhorn over the years privately apologized to your dad and tried to mend fences with him to no avail. Is that true?

MV: “No Eddie Einhorn never apologized for that remark, Jerry Reinsdorf did, and there is a difference between those two men.”

Mark

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
I appreciate that sentiment, but that was a lifetime ago.

True but I recently saw a stat comparing the last four years plus 57 games of the fifth season of Veeck's second ownership to the same time frame for this ownership group.

The numbers are incredibly similar including post season appearances.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
That's right. They and the 91 Brewers are the only two teams to be 15 down at one point yet still have a winning season. Considering half the pitching staff was out with serious injuries or just coming off surgery winning 83 games was amazing.

Mark

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HO...le-scores.shtml (Astros were 15-30 in their WS year, 2005)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HO...le-scores.shtml

Not quite the same thing, but the Twins were 11-18 in 2005 and trailing the Sox/Tigers by 9 games in early May.

They went on to finish 85-48.

St. Louis Cardinals in 2006 were 34-20/42-26 and ended the year at only 83-78 (41-52 finish) but won the division by 1 1/2 games and ended up winning their first World Series since 1982.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. Not taking the bait. If you don't know why you are one of the few.

If you're going to make inflammatory statements but provide no examples or facts to back them up, you should expect to be challenged.

There is no "bait" here. You're ducking out without backing up anything you said.