Mat Latos DFA - Danish called up

Princess Dye

QUOTE (ronkark @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Continuing our long tradition of promoting undeserving people, I give you Tyler Danish.

Pitching in a pitchers park. he was 3-7 with an era of 4.42.

If that doesn't sell it all, he's given up 5 or more earned runs in 3 of his last 6 starts.

Also 47 K's in 75 innings.

Nothing about that translates to major league success. This is a rush job and only reasoning I can think of is they are showcasing him as trade bait. Otherwise, you're better off with Fulmer and yes I know about the control. He's not ready either. But he's a higher prospect and they are both struggling so may as well promote the higher prospect.

This comment is ridiculous. He's here for one day, perhaps no more than that. He's here specifically because he's a starter, stretched out, and available to pitch multiple innings if needed. No one in their right mind assumes he's there a week from now. I reiterate, that was a ridiculous comment.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Hahn is a gigantic fool if he took a job in this organization but wasn't on board for how the franchise operated. He had at least half a dozen different organizations chase after him. He could have wrote his own ticket to a myriad of different teams. He wants to be here, and be a part of this.

In fact he dropped out consideration for the St. Louis job because the farm director had ownerships ear and he thought he could be undermined.

All this made up speculation about him being a puppet is a joke. Besides if he is weak enough to be a puppet, why would you want him running things anyway?

Latos has been toast the last month so I'm not sad to see him leave. But this does put the Sox in a little bit of a weird position regarding the 6th starter again. Beck seems to have been moved to the pen, so does that leave Renaldo as the emergency starter? I'm not overly confident Gonzalez is going to be able to last the rest of the season in the 5 spot.

This move took me by surprise. Thought he might have a longer rope than Rollins since he was so good at the beginning of the season. The possibility of him getting back close to that level certainly existed though not likely. Gonzales is still basically in his 1st month starting for the Sox and Latos was way better during his 1st month. Great to see how well Gonzales pitched tonight. Hopefully he'll be more consistent than Latos which might be what they were looking for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 15m15 minutes ago

#WhiteSox have requested waivers on RHP Mat Latos for the purpose of granting his unconditional release. Did same w/ Jimmy Rollins on Weds.

Do teams usually do this? Or are the Sox just doing these guys a real solid here?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Do teams usually do this? Or are the Sox just doing these guys a real solid here?

Typically, no unless they have to. I know I said it before, but typically when dealing with veterans on these type of contracts, there will be a handshake agreement that instead of demotion, they will offer the player a chance to go out and explore other opportunities if they ever don't win, or lose their job.

It would be my guess that since we didn't even try to send Latos to the pen, that something external is going on here. Could it be the guy is the asshole that everyone talked about before they brought him in, so they don't want him around? Could they be honoring a handshake agreement from before the season? Could Latos have refused to go to the pen or minors when the Sox tried talking to him about it as a maybe? I have no idea what the answer is, but my guess is that it is one of those three things.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)

Due to their veteran status if the Sox outrighted them they could just refuse the assignment and the Sox would be forced to release them so they would become free agents anyways, so either that made clear earlier or they just don't think there is anything to gain by having them in Charlotte.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
Danks is retiring?

Haven't heard anything about him at all for about a month. Guess he's hanging out in Nashville.

He is a very wealthy man. Probably will never work another day in his life. Good for him - loved me some Johnny Danks.