Sox sign Justin Morneau

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Just a guess but it's probably $1 million prorated over the rest of the season too, so it's probably only like 650K total.

Yeah with 2/3 of a season left, he gets 2/3 of that million dollars. Though the Sox did him a favor by signing him to the major league roster right away and putting him on the DL, which starts his salary today.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
This isn't trying to win. Find me all of these contenders with their middle of the order threat being a mid season free agent signing of a 35 year old injured 1st baseman.

He's a far superior option to DH against RHP that Avi Garcia or anyone else on the Sox 40 man roster.

Given that he won't be available for another month or so, it simply may not matter by then realistically.

You give them points for trying but as someone else posted the real question is how did they get into this position in the first place?

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Given that he won't be available for another month or so, it simply may not matter by then realistically.

You give them points for trying but as someone else posted the real question is how did they get into this position in the first place?

Mark

Agreed. This is a non-signing. We'll be well out by then in all likelihood.

Similarity Score for Justin Morneau. Looking forward to Drake Morneau in the locker room to provide leadership.

Adam LaRoche (928)

Cliff Floyd (922)

Mike Sweeney (917)

Aubrey Huff (916)

Dolph Camilli (913)

Hal Trosky (912)

Bill Skowron (911)

Prince Fielder (909)

Ryan Klesko (897)

George Bell (895)

Edited by Deadpool

Man, this whole thing has me really doubting Hahn for the first time. Middle of the order bat? What? You're immediately claiming that he's going to be a middle of the order bat when he comes off the DL? That's your plan? Holy f***. And while $1 million is the right price, he isn't going to be ready until mid-late July? I was really hoping this team had much more urgency than that. That is super disappointing.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Man, this whole thing has me really doubting Hahn for the first time. Middle of the order bat? What? You're immediately claiming that he's going to be a middle of the order bat when he comes off the DL? That's your plan? Holy f***. And while $1 million is the right price, he isn't going to be ready until mid-late July? I was really hoping this team had much more urgency than that. That is super disappointing.

I think the problem is that they have too much urgency. They are pretty delusional about the team and are grasping at straws right now.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Holy s***, we are going to pay him like $700K. Why is anyone upset over this? The dude hit .310 last year. In 2014, he hit .309 away from Coors.

I don't get "mad" about the signing, but we all realize that Morneau cannot play for a month or so and by then we seem to think it won't matter.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)

This move does nothing to preclude them from making additional deals. I honestly think this is a back up plan in case they are unable to land a bigger bat by the deadline. If they do they cut Morneau loose and are out very little.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
I think the problem is that they have too much urgency. They are pretty delusional about the team and are grasping at straws right now.

Completely agree.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
This move does nothing to preclude them from making additional deals. I honestly think this is a back up plan in case they are unable to land a bigger bat by the deadline. If they do they cut Morneau loose and are out very little.

It really is a little bit bizarre to race out and grab a guy 6 weeks before he'll be ready to play if your team is in trouble right now, gotta admit that. Doesn't mean it's the wrong move, just odd. We can't solve this problem right now so we'll just hope it solves itself and then we'll solve it in 6 weeks?