Sox sign Justin Morneau

Jose Abreu

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
It really is a little bit bizarre to race out and grab a guy 6 weeks before he'll be ready to play if your team is in trouble right now, gotta admit that. Doesn't mean it's the wrong move, just odd. We can't solve this problem right now so we'll just hope it solves itself and then we'll solve it in 6 weeks?

My guess is Rick is still trying to find a LH bat.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
My guess is Rick is still trying to find a LH bat.

I don't see why he wouldn't be, just a weird setup. Was someone else going to jump all over Justin Morneau and sign him totally right now where we had to get him signed to this $650k immediately?

I guess it gives him a chance to work in the minor leagues, maybe that's something he can't do on his own, actual game action. Maybe that's it, just so he can try to re-gather his skills in live action. But if Morneau knew the Sox would still try to sign another LH bat, why would he sign this contract so early and be stuck with a team that could leave him in the minors?

I don't see why he wouldn't be, just a weird setup. Was someone else going to jump all over Justin Morneau and sign him totally right now where we had to get him signed to this $650k immediately?

I guess it gives him a chance to work in the minor leagues, maybe that's something he can't do on his own, actual game action. Maybe that's it, just so he can try to re-gather his skills in live action. But if Morneau knew the Sox would still try to sign another LH bat, why would he sign this contract so early and be stuck with a team that could leave him in the minors?

Did the Sox sign him to a major league or minor league deal? If its the former the Sox have to either DFA him or play him on the 25 once he's done with rehab. He wont be riding the bus any longer than he wants to.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)

My guess is that his risk of that was about the same for any team he'd potentially sign with, and the Sox are about as weak as it gets from the left side. Every team could trade for a guy that blocks him between now and mid-July.

My guess is Morneau is an insurance policy for the Sox. If it doesn't work out, $650k is nothing for an MLB team. If the Sox don't get the LH bat they want or get some key injuries, they have a guy that can be productive ready to come up.

I like the move.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Did the Sox sign him to a major league or minor league deal? If its the former the Sox have to either DFA him or play him on the 25 once he's done with rehab. He wont be riding the bus any longer than he wants to.

The official announcement does not say. Guessing it must be a major league deal and that's the kicker, that he has an immediate out if they don't call him up when the rehab stint is over?

CkiN7q-VEAA3CDb.jpg

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
This guy is a bum. Reminds me when the Bulls traded for John Starks....

Well, this bum won the batting title two years ago. So he isnt that far from having success, whereas Starks was basically a cap move and they wanted almost nothing to do with him

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
This move does nothing to preclude them from making additional deals. I honestly think this is a back up plan in case they are unable to land a bigger bat by the deadline. If they do they cut Morneau loose and are out very little.

Bingo. There is zero chance that this stopping them from doing anything else. None.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
It really is a little bit bizarre to race out and grab a guy 6 weeks before he'll be ready to play if your team is in trouble right now, gotta admit that. Doesn't mean it's the wrong move, just odd. We can't solve this problem right now so we'll just hope it solves itself and then we'll solve it in 6 weeks?

It is costing them something like an extra $150k to sign him now as opposed to in a month. It really isn't a big deal.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
The White Sox organization is such a joke.

I agree to a certain extent, but this move has nothing to do with any of that. Signing a guy for $1,000,000 isn't too bad. It's the trading young guys for bad vets that gets to me.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Well, this bum won the batting title two years ago. So he isnt that far from having success, whereas Starks was basically a cap move and they wanted almost nothing to do with him

You said it yourself my friend 2 years ago. And the starks thing was saying how stupid to get a player who hates you

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
It is costing them something like an extra $150k to sign him now as opposed to in a month. It really isn't a big deal.

i wasn't thinking as much about the money as I was Morneau signing it when he can't guarantee the White Sox won't land some other LH hitting DH type in the next month and why he'd take that deal without that guarantee. If it's a major league deal and he'd have to be called up or DFAd once a rehab stint ends, then I guess that can make some sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
i wasn't thinking as much about the money as I was Morneau signing it when he can't guarantee the White Sox won't land some other LH hitting DH type in the next month and why he'd take that deal without that guarantee. If it's a major league deal and he'd have to be called up or DFAd once a rehab stint ends, then I guess that can make some sense.

At worst, they other roster chaff they can dump too. This does not preclude them from making another move.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
If you just posted the Sox signed a guy who hit .310 .363 .458 last year instead of his name I bet the reactions would be different

The Sox just signed 35 year old who hasnt played in a year which they kindly sent to the DL because he is still recovering from an injury he had from last year as well has a severe history of concussions?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The Sox just signed 35 year old who hasnt played in a year which they kindly sent to the DL because he is still recovering from an injury he had from last year as well has a severe history of concussions?

But thats because you know his name.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
If you just posted the Sox signed a guy who hit .310 .363 .458 last year instead of his name I bet the reactions would be different

I'd not like the move even if you said his name was Homer McBatface

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
This is starting to remind of 1982. In September the Sox kept bringing in former big names, guys like Jim Kern and Sparky Lyle.

It didn't work, but it was kind of fun.

You made me laugh don't forget George Foster and Steve Carlton in 86 also lol.

Edited by Soxfest