Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
I don't understand the front office's thinking here.

They certainly have gone to extremes here. First they want the veteran leadership, so they bring in a guy who is clearly "washed up".

Then they reverse course and bring up a kid who they admit is a little raw, and still learning. I wan't crazy about the Rollins acquisition and even less

in agreement with this one. It's too soon to be calling up Anderson. He is not a "savior" for what ails this team, and they are risking damaging his confidence.

If he becomes a really great player, it will very likely be in a couple of years. In the meantime, he should be getting much more experience in AAA.

His skill set is not what this team needs. He has no plate patience, which means that his OBP is not likely to be anywhere near .300 in the Big Leagues.

He is not an elite defensive SS, as I have stressed in prior posts. He isn't even a left handed bat, and certainly not a power hitter. So what exactly does he bring to the table, that suggests that he needs to be rushed to the Majors, in order to help right this "sinking ship"?

Even though the reasoning for this call-up seems to a driven by Rollins's ineptitude, coupled with a need to shake things up, the front office must think (hope?) that he will continue to show an impressive ability to adjust. He might have already

convinced them that he has the mindset to overcome failure. Quickly.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
Well you could DH Saladino. People don't want Avi in the line up anymore

Wouldn't surprise me to see Saladino play 2B and 3B from time to time and Frazier and Lawrie DHing. And Anderson will get a day or two off a week at SS I would imagine. Can't throw him totally to the wolves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Wouldn't surprise me to see Saladino play 2B and 3B from time to time and Frazier and Lawrie DHing. And Anderson will get a day or two off a week at SS I would imagine. Can't throw him totally to the wolves.

Yeah I guess this could work. I didn't know Lawrie's glove got better, he was a bobbling buffoon not to long ago.

You give the front office points again for trying to correct their mistakes for sure but I'm confused as to what "the plan" now is. Seems kind of 'hit and miss' but that maybe because the options are still really limited.

On the flip side though you all so start to wonder about what drove the decision makers to sign these players in the first place since they've been cut already.

It's been an interesting year.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
You give the front office points again for trying to correct their mistakes for sure but I'm confused as to what "the plan" now is. Seems kind of 'hit and miss' but that maybe because the options are still really limited.

On the flip side though you all so start to wonder about what drove the decision makers to sign these players in the first place since they've been cut already.

It's been an interesting year.

Mark

The plan is "on the fly." IMO

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah I guess this could work. I didn't know Lawrie's glove got better, he was a bobbling buffoon not to long ago.

One thing I do agree with Caulfield on is Avi Garcia is on the clock. I think he's next. If he isn't hitting, he's totally worthless. So a rotating DH makes sense before Morneau or another bat arrives.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
One thing I do agree with Caulfield on is Avi Garcia is on the clock. I think he's next. If he isn't hitting, he's totally worthless. So a rotating DH makes sense before Morneau or another bat arrives.

Avi has been on the clock for six months now. They had replaced him, but then LaRoche quit. There is no doubt in my mind the Sox are shopping hard for his replacement and have been for a while now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)

Would AAA do Avi any good or is he just cooked?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Eaton

Melky

Frazier

CaGo/Bruce

Abreu

Lawrie

Navarro

Jackson

Anderson

Who loves that lineup? *raises hand*

I think you leave Jackson at 2 where he's been hitting well.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Would AAA do Avi any good or is he just cooked?

I wouldn't see the harm if you can't get anything for him. You have to pay him anyway. But I would make sure he made some radical adjustments. I think he needs to keep his hands lower. To me it's just for show now, when the pitcher starts his wind up, the hands wind up as high as ever, and he has a hard time catching up to fastballs he can't lay off of. If he can't lay off, keep the hands lower and maybe that will give him a better chance to hit them.