Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Right an extra inning or 2 a start.

Up until Seattle, he had been going 6 or 7 every start.

Supposed to be trickle down effect on the pen. We will see. EJ and Latos clearly couldnt pull that off.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
If Hahn traded Anderson for a few months of Reddick, he should be fired. I doubt that Anderson will be traded.

If Shields was getting paid Latos money, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But $30M for a 34-year-old with a ton of innings on his arm, declining velocity, and a below-average record in a pitcher's park in the NL sounds like a serious reach. Yeah, he won't be as bad as he was a couple of nights ago. But I don't see him being a significantly better option than EJ or one of our minor league pitchers at this point. Maybe Shields isn't as bad as Danks was this year, but he's probably not far away and he might be there in 2017.

Like Rock pointed out, he is being paid to give you a longer outing than those guys. It obviously didn't work out last outing, but he has been going 6 or 7 with some consistency in his career, including this season. That is what they are paying for. An extra 35-50 innings saves a bullpen. In the grand scheme, what they are paying him isn't that much for what he theoretically will provide. We will see how it works out. I didn't love it, but I don't hate it. It might not be a big upgrade, but I really doubt it will turn into a downgrade, and JR has plenty of money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Right an extra inning or 2 a start.

Up until Seattle, he had been going 6 or 7 every start.

Yeah, and the Padres lost all but 2 of those 10 starts while he gave up 7 HRs and 23 BBs.

Not good.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
It should go without saying that any trade for a player like Reddick who is in the last year of his Contract would be preceded by talks with his agent about the parameters of a Contract, 1.e., 3 years x dollars...

I would be happy to get decent trade value for Anderson who appears to lack plate discipline and may not have the defensive skills to remain at SS.

If the Sox could do a sign-and-trade move with Reddick, that would be worth considering. But I don't think that's going to happen, as this winter is going to be a player's market and Reddick most likely wants to test that market. I also don't think that the Sox want to move Anderson, as they don't have an answer at SS going forward and Anderson is the best position player prospect in the organization.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
If Anderson is worse than Rollins and Shields worse than Latos and/or Anderson, someone is building their own grave. So I would think they are confident these are upgrades. Shields was awful, but he's not that bad. I think there is better than 50/50 shot he is better than Latos. Whether that's worth picking up the money they pay him, I don't know.

If Anderson falls on his face, he'll just go back to Charlotte and Sanchez or someone else will take his place. It shouldn't be all that hard to get at least Rollins level production, but as we have seen before, sometimes that isn't as easy as it seems.

So tired of the negativity. This team is at .500 with only 3.5 GB AT THE START OF JUNE! There is still months left. You would think the way you have been posting this team is 10 GB.

There's still plenty of the season left. Must be brutal and depressing watching this team hoping shields is as bad or worse than shields.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Guess this is a move people like. If he struggles will people blame KW for bringing him up too soon as a typical KW move.

I guess that's what happens when the organization has shown no more ability to make effective personnel decisions than we humble fans.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Yeah, and the Padres lost all but 2 of those 10 starts while he gave up 7 HRs and 23 BBs.

Not good.

6 IP 3 ER

7 IP 4 ER

7 IP 2 ER

6 IP 3 ER

7 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

6 IP 4 ER

7 IP 0 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

Actually, for a 4th starter, pretty good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Shields is supposed to eat more innings than Latos basically. Thats his job.

Speaking of eating innings ... I didn't see the last game vs. WAS, why did Robin pull MiGo after 6 innings having thrown only 78 pitches w/ 3H, 1R, 0BB, 5K? Seems odd for a team that has been so concerned with innings consumption from their starters. What gives?

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
So tired of the negativity. This team is at .500 with only 3.5 GB AT THE START OF JUNE! There is still months left. You would think the way you have been posting this team is 10 GB.

There's still plenty of the season left. Must be brutal and depressing watching this team hoping shields is as bad or worse than shields.

Me? I have been one of the most optimistic people on here.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Speaking of eating innings ... I didn't see the last game vs. WAS, why did Robin pull MiGo after 6 innings having thrown only 78 pitches w/ 3H, 1R, 0BB, 5K? Seems odd for a team that has been so concerned with innings consumption from their starters. What gives?

Proactive. Had Harper and Murphy coming up. Went to Duke.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)

Have you watched any of the last 30 or so games? They squandered a 5+ game lead in the division so quickly it was almost impressive. They have been an unwatchable absolute garbage team since that loss in Texas.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)

He was toast with big bats coming up.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)

Not good.

He had 8 quality starts in 10 games started before Seattle. He also was getting worse run support then Quintana this year.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
6 IP 3 ER

7 IP 4 ER

7 IP 2 ER

6 IP 3 ER

7 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

6 IP 4 ER

7 IP 0 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

Actually, for a 4th starter, pretty good.

He wasn't being paid as a #4 in San Diego, though. He was their Ace @ 66 IP, 32 ER giving up all the walks and jacks I already listed.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)

Thank you. While this team has been very tough to watch the last month, there is still 102 games left!

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
He wasn't being paid as a #4 in San Diego, though. He was their Ace @ 66 IP, 32 ER.

I knew this would happen. He isn't the White Sox ace. They need him to be a #4. He has shown this season he could be a really decent #4. He has also shown the last 2 times out he can be worse than JB Shuck. I will take my chances he pitches more like a #4 than an OF the rest of the year.

Don't misunderstand. I don't expect him to pitch like an ace.

I just don't think he's going to be this "innings eater" some of you guys seem to think he will be.

I see it far more likely we'll come to the end of the season dreading the fact we'll be on the hook with him for $20M AND as a #4/5.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
He wasn't being paid as a #4 in San Diego, though. He was their Ace @ 66 IP, 32 ER giving up all the walks and jacks I already listed.

Getting paid does not make someone an ace. s***, getting paid doesn't even necessarily mean you're any good at something, it just means you made an agreement to get paid.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Getting paid does not make someone an ace. s***, getting paid doesn't even necessarily mean you're any good at something, it just means you made an agreement to get paid.

That wasn't the point being made at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
I knew this would happen. He isn't the White Sox ace. They need him to be a #4. He has shown this season he could be a really decent #4. He has also shown the last 2 times out he can be worse than JB Shuck. I will take my chances he pitches more like a #4 than an OF the rest of the year.

At this point, it looks like Gonzalez is our #4. He's been quite good after those first couple of starts.

So if Shields is successful at being an innings-eater who keeps us in the game most of the time (i.e., 2012-2015 Danks), then he'll be an effective (if overpaid) #5.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
At this point, it looks like Gonzalez is our #4. He's been quite good after those first couple of starts.

So if Shields is successful at being an innings-eater who keeps us in the game most of the time (i.e., 2012-2015 Danks), then he'll be an effective (if overpaid) #5.

Right! Which means that with Latos at #5 for $3M and only this year committed...was this move really necessary?

No.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
That wasn't the point being made at all.

You referenced that he was "paid to be their ace" when trying to distinguish the expected return on investment on Shields, but so often those two values don't equate. So.. I feel like that's the point that I'm making, regardless of the point you were looking to make.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Nothing I've read about Anderson this year suggested that he was excelling at Charlotte and was ready to take the next step. And you have to remember that Anderson is not your typical prospect. He was primarily a basketball player in high school who didn't play baseball until later. So, development-wise, he's a little behind. For the sake of his development, it would've been preferable to leave Anderson in AAA for the remainder of the year and allow him to continue developing.

So while Anderson may be the best option for the Sox (and that's debatable), I don't agree that it's the best thing for Anderson in the long-term. And the Sox's farm system isn't exactly loaded with can't-miss position player prospects, so I wish that they would've handled him a little more cautiously. Especially since he's probably a .700 OPS in a best-case scenario this season, and thus a very modest upgrade over Saladino/Sanchez. He's also defensive downgrade from Saladino, which further lowers his current value to the team.

You've read nothing about how he was excelling at Charlotte? Because he was excelling at Charlotte.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Right! Which means that with Latos at #5 for $3M and only this year committed...was this move really necessary?

No.

Tim Anderson doesn't pitch and is making league minimum.