Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

Well, the Twins were in a similar situation as the White Sox last year...in terms of their play and winning percentage, actually more like 4-6 games over .500 into the middle of the season.

Buxton was the #1 or #2 prospect across the board and really struggled, surprisingly so. Not so much the strikeouts and low walk rate, but the lack of power that was projected because of that frame he's just growing into.

With Anderson, we're not expecting power...but he does need to have an OPS at least in the 600's, not HURT us defensively, take a few walks, steal some bags and hopefully pile up some triples and doubles and let's say 4-6 homers. It would be NICE if he hit RHP with over a 700 OPS, but that's not a requirement for this season. He just has to "look" like he belongs out there and is not overwhelmed to the point where negative thoughts are creeping into his approach and then bleeding over onto the defensive side.

So it's not a 30/30 "future superstar" expectation here at least.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
I heard this guy named Ian Desmond was willing to sign for $8 million (and he would have picked the Sox over the Rangers to stay at SS), and also has the ability to play LF/RF.

Gee...sounds like someone we could have used. And it would have preserved Anderson's timeframe for September, 2016 arrival.

We shall see how it all works, and if Burdi makes it all worth it.

Did you or did you not call for the White Sox to sign Ian Desmond if he was available after the draft?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
There's an undeniable stench of desperation coming from Hahn's office

It does seem like they are shuffling the deck. Maybe something is coming. I wonder who the 6th starter is now. I know some are excited about Renaudo but he has done exactly what he is doing in AAA now before the Rangers called him up, and he made Noesi look good. Turner hasn't been impressive. Maybe Latos goes to Charlotte.

It will be fun to see Anderson, but he is being put in a situation in which he has to produce right away. Maybe he takes it and runs with it, but I would expect growing pains.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't understand the front office's thinking here.

They certainly have gone to extremes here. First they want the veteran leadership, so they bring in a guy who is clearly "washed up".

Then they reverse course and bring up a kid who they admit is a little raw, and still learning. I wan't crazy about the Rollins acquisition and even less

in agreement with this one. It's too soon to be calling up Anderson. He is not a "savior" for what ails this team, and they are risking damaging his confidence.

If he becomes a really great player, it will very likely be in a couple of years. In the meantime, he should be getting much more experience in AAA.

His skill set is not what this team needs. He has no plate patience, which means that his OBP is not likely to be anywhere near .300 in the Big Leagues.

He is not an elite defensive SS, as I have stressed in prior posts. He isn't even a left handed bat, and certainly not a power hitter. So what exactly does he bring to the table, that suggests that he needs to be rushed to the Majors, in order to help right this "sinking ship"?

Great post as usual, Lillian.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't think Anderson will be any improvement over Saladino this season. But then again, I'm one who likes Saladino.

Maybe Anderson is being brought up to play CF now that Jackson is hurt. It's not a wise thing to throw him in a new position upon his arrival in the big leagues, but with the Sox you never know.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

I'm excited about the idea of Anderson and to get a look but this has struggle written all over it.

1 - Defense. Can we afford bad defense? No. He had, what 9 errors already at Charlotte.

2 - Discipline. His BB/K slightly upticked lately but a ways to go. Be curious when he draws his first MLB walk. I'm gonna go with July.

That said I know he has more range than Rollins and hopefully he can hit it hard and steal some bases. We need that. Eaton is just not a base stealer. And now with Abreu behind him he never will be.

QUOTE (ronkark @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
I'm excited about the idea of Anderson and to get a look but this has struggle written all over it.

1 - Defense. Can we afford bad defense? No. He had, what 9 errors already at Charlotte.

2 - Discipline. His BB/K slightly upticked lately but a ways to go. Be curious when he draws his first MLB walk. I'm gonna go with July.

That said I know he has more range than Rollins and hopefully he can hit it hard and steal some bases. We need that. Eaton is just not a base stealer. And now with Abreu behind him he never will be.

The last thing this team needs right now is a bad defensive SS and another hitter that strikes out a lot and hardly ever walks.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
You can't argue with what we've seen so far.

First at bat laid off a nice breaking ball.

Showed good range at short to his left once.

I dig.

I'm glad you mentioned that. He was 0-2 and laid of a FILTHY hook. That was maybe his most impressive moment of the night.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:12 AM)
At first when you watch him hit, that exaggerated bat wrap really scares you that he can't get around on a fastball (ala Viciedo/Beckham/Flowers/Garcia).

But he's got ultra quick hands and the hand-eye coordination/physical tools are pretty obvious.

Yes I agree with you. My first reax was exaggerated bat wrap and he's using too big a bat. Glad to see him pull that ball past third and rope it up middle.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
I expect this will happen next year, so Im going to wait to buy the jersey

I don't get why they couldn't give him that number right away. And I highly doubt it has anything to do with Rollins still being in DFA limbo as players are able to change numbers at will.

Just respect for Rollins...waiting until he's at least out of town, he's a potential HoF and did some good things for the Sox, you don't just give his number away within 24 hours.

Heck, for all we know, Tim might have said he could wait...Rollins was his mentor in spring training, after all.