Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Anderson may be a better hitter than Saladino at this point. But he's not better defensively.

That said, I also hope that Saladino gets semi-regular play. I also hope he's used frequently as a late-inning defensive replacement.

it going to take time to learn the ropes of fileding in the majors but i think he can do it

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
The main concern to me would be how would he handle it if he did come up and fail. So far he's had some failure on just about every level and overcame it.

I think the big worry in rushing a prospect is if he does real poorly, you can lose him forever. I don't think Anderson is in that boat. I do question if he is currently capable of upgrading the position.

This is totally my concern. Spot on.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
It's difficult to tell at this point if rushing Anderson will have a permanent, negative impact on him. Given the current mediocre state of the Sox farm system, I'd error on the side of caution.

I do agree with your last sentence, and that alone makes this a dumb move, IMO. Saladino is better defensively than Anderson and I don't see any evidence that Anderson would put up the .700 or so OPS that would merit his presence in the lineup.

I'm with you. I don't expect he'll be an improvement to the SS position. Downgrade defensively, similar offense- maybe worse, maybe a little better. I hope I'm proven wrong. Perhaps they're hoping they catch lightning in a bottle and he has a hot streak figuring they can just send him back down if he fails. Kinda seems like just throwing s*** at the wall hoping something sticks.

QUOTE (gosoxtim8 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
it going to take time to learn the ropes of fileding in the majors but i think he can do it

No, the challenge for young players is hitting ML pitching. Just about all of them can field their positions well by the time they get called up.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
No, the challenge for young players is hitting ML pitching. Just about all of them can field their positions well by the time they get called up.

Marcus Semien says hello.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Well we can thank Jimmy Rollins for helping us get rid of LaRoche. That was worth the price of admission.

Funny how all the veteran voices speculated to have said something of Drake are going 1 by 1. Avila should be next, only then Drake will have his full revenge.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
You can't really be surprised that you need a SS when you let your guy walk away and went dumpster diving for a replacement.

Tyler Saladino .1 WAR

Jimmy Rollins .1 WAR

Alexei Ramirez -.4 WAR

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
FIFY

Because if there are two things that Sox fans are good at, its setting unrealistic expectations and blasting the players when they don't meet those expectations.

With Anderson hopefully expectations are tempered. He has a history of faceplanting during his first time at a new level. Most likely we will see a lot of K's, no BB's and probably some nerves in the field. Don't be surprised to see it in the majors.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
Jon HeymanVerified account

‏@JonHeyman

word is, to no one's surprise jimmy rollins took the DFA news "like a pro." #chisox

As I said earlier, I would bet that he and Hahn had a handshake agreement to let Jimmy explore his options if it didn't happen here.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Funny how all the veteran voices speculated to have said something of Drake are going 1 by 1. Avila should be next, only then Drake will have his full revenge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
Unfortunately left handed bat middle of the line up, gold glove SS with OBP of .450 aren't available at the present time.

You do have a way of twisting one's words. I don't think that is what I said. Is that what you inferred?

The point is that this team is not failing because of anything that a young, budding SS could fix. Therefore, why risk damaging his confidence, by bringing him aboard this sinking ship? Let Saladino play, and provide good defense at a crucially important defensive position, and try to fix the problems elsewhere.

Edited by Lillian