***Official MLB Draft 2016 Day 2 Thread***

southsider2k5

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
MLB lists him as a 1B.

Scouting report says he use to catch before he had labrum surgery. I think thats a similar injury to Max Pentecost who is working on returning behind the plate. So maybe another level of value there.

Im seeing OF for the Sox

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
If they are going to pay over-slot somewhere else, fine, but otherwise, don't see the point of a clear reach. no need to use round 3 for org. minor leaguers.

That's exactly why they did it. Save money for the others, maybe Fisher as some experts had him as high as the 3rd round.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
there has been a clear change in direction in the approach drafting position players. I think KW has much less of a say. And that's a good thing

Unbelievable.......

KW replaces Laumann with Hostetler and tells Hostetler not to pay any attention to this KW fellow. Weren't there reports about KW personally scouting guys? You really think he won't have a huge say?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.

You should probably wait to see how these guys pan out. If they are great, we know KW was gagged and tied up and thrown into the closet during the draft. If they bust, we know he locked everyone out of the draft room and commandeered the phone to the league office.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Is there some inside joke with the unbelievable comments when KW gets mentioned?

Sorry, it's just me. I'm tired of every time something happens that people like it's Hahn doing it and KW not having any input. Conversely, everytiime something happens they don't like it's KW doing it and Hahn is just a guy siting in a corner playing solitaire collecting a check.

People just don't think that they can work together and make decisions together. It HAS to be only ONE of them making the decision at separate times.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Doesnt seem like a KW draft to me.

Hostetler is presenting different types of choice than Laumann. I think it's as simple as that. You can't scout everybody. The top of his board probably looks a whole lot different that what it would have looked like if Laumann was still the director.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Each hitter selected has had a fantastic BB/K ratio. Very different than years past.

Is it though?

2015 saw Schroeder (71 K to 67 BB), Glines (93 K to 100 BB) as our 1st two college hitters draft. Zavala and Sullivan were next, and they both struck out a lot more than BB, but I think most top college hitters will end up with close to even BB/K rates or better.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Sorry, it's just me. I'm tired of every time something happens that people like it's Hahn doing it and KW not having any input. Conversely, everytiime something happens they don't like it's KW doing it and Hahn is just a guy siting in a corner playing solitaire collecting a check.

People just don't think that they can work together and make decisions together. It HAS to be only ONE of them making the decision at separate times.

Well this approach has been a complete 180 degree turn around from the way KW used to operate. So I guess i should have said that either KW has completely changed his approach, or he has much less of a say. Sorry won't make the mistake again

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Doesnt seem like a KW draft to me.

I'm going to suggest that KW, Hahn and Hostetler have had a mutual change in philosophy. Kind of like a few years ago when they changed from High floor-low ceiling guys like Broadway and McCullough to athletic guys like Anderson and Mitchell.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Well this approach has been a complete 180 degree turn around from the way KW used to operate. So I guess i should have said that either KW has completely changed his approach, or he has much less of a say. Sorry won't make the mistake again

Which was 180 degrees from the drafting approach he had before that one.

Now you're talking!

They really shouldn't let me off for the summer. I spend WAY too much time on the computer. I need to go read.

Edit: where did that post go that I was responding to?

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Which was 180 degrees from the drafting approach he had before that one.

They have never, ever had this approach in drafting position players. Yes, with pitching I'll grant you that they had a philosophy change about 5 years ago. But they hadn't offensively.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
FutureSox ‏@FutureSox 1m1 minute ago

Jameson Fisher had 105 walks and 83 strikeouts in 823 plate appearances in his college career.

That's one of the best stats I've read all month!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm going to suggest that KW, Hahn and Hostetler have had a mutual change in philosophy. Kind of like a few years ago when they changed from High floor-low ceiling guys like Broadway and McCullough to athletic guys like Anderson and Mitchell.

IIRC the pick after that change of philosophy was Poreda. He wasn't the high floor low ceiling. Turns out he was just as bad though.

Lately though, everyone has to like Sale, seems a lot like Anderson, a lot like Rodon, a lot like Fulmer. Many are missing guys like Semien, and Thompson.

So what is a KW draft and what is not, when all the players are different kind of confuses me.