***Official MLB Draft 2016 Day 2 Thread***

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Is it though?

2015 saw Schroeder (71 K to 67 BB), Glines (93 K to 100 BB) as our 1st two college hitters draft. Zavala and Sullivan were next, and they both struck out a lot more than BB, but I think most top college hitters will end up with close to even BB/K rates or better.

Glines was an 11th round pick with no power, not really the same as these guys drafted higher.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
They have never, ever had this approach in drafting position players. Yes, with pitching I'll grant you that they had a philosophy change about 5 years ago. But they hadn't offensively.

No not necessarily hitting but with safe high floor college players as opposed to low floor athletic types. Hopefully, they took who they thought was the BPA not just that type of hitter because they wanted one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
IIRC the pick after that change of philosophy was Poreda. He wasn't the high floor low ceiling. Turns out he was just as bad though.

Lately though, everyone has to like Sale, seems a lot like Anderson, a lot like Rodon, a lot like Fulmer. Many are missing guys like Semien, and Thompson.

So what is a KW draft and what is not, when all the players are different kind of confuses me.

They've really stayed with college guys though. Isn't Thompson the only high school kid on your list? Although last year they took some high school guys as I recall. Zangari and crew I believe.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
No not necessarily hitting but with safe high floor college players as opposed to low floor athletic types. Hopefully, they took who they thought was the BPA not just that type of hitter because they wanted one.

I think it was under Schueler, although it may have been KW, where one year they were going for mostly pitchers figuring if several panned out, they could flip them for offense. Schueler didn't draft well at all, but he was good at trades and signing vets to make good contracts.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
They've really stayed with college guys though. Isn't Thompson the only high school kid on your list? Although last year they took some high school guys as I recall. Zangari and crew I believe.

Hostetler supposedly is more likely to draft a HS kid than the previous regime. I just think this is the way his board went down.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Is there some inside joke with the unbelievable comments when KW gets mentioned?

Not really an inside joke... Earlier ptatc made a "Unbelievable" reply when a poster (don't remember who) started railing on KW. It just kinda became a meme from there...

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I'm starting to wonder if Alec Hansen is more expensive than we thought.

I definitely think that is the case. The guy was being touted as a 1.1 pick for much of the winter, so he probably wants first roundish money to sign. OR the Sox are saving money to make a run at someone else later.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I definitely think that is the case. The guy was being touted as a 1.1 pick for much of the winter, so he probably wants first roundish money to sign. OR the Sox are saving money to make a run at someone else later.

I hope so. I like Fisher, but reminding me a bit of the post Rodon draft post spencer adams where we where aside from Jake Peter later on it was a lot of these picks. OTOH Brian Clark is near the big leagues now from that draft.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I hope so. I like Fisher, but reminding me a bit of the post Rodon draft post spencer adams where we where aside from Jake Peter later on it was a lot of these picks. OTOH Brian Clark is near the big leagues now from that draft.

Fry was one that was signed for slot value that has never been healthy enough to know what the Sox have in him. Austin has been a disappointment for a guy that was a sandwich round pick at one time. They did get some more value, it just hasn't panned out.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Fry was one that was signed for slot value that has never been healthy enough to know what the Sox have in him. Austin has been a disappointment for a guy that was a sandwich round pick at one time. They did get some more value, it just hasn't panned out.

Wasn't he they guy who already had 2 TJ surgeries when they drafted him?

Yeah, he was looking promising too.

That was a great draft to get Rodon, Clark and Adams, and peter looks like he may be something. Just commenting about how there were many rounds in that draft that had to save money after going in on rodon/adams.