2016 Draft picks thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
I don't think I necessarily agree. If we are taking less than our share of the top 200 or 500 that means somebody is getting more than their share. If they can do it, why can't we?

It's about pool $$. The Sox had like $9.5 million to spend on the draft. Their 1st pick is taking the full $3.3 million allotted, Burdi is probably close to the $2.2 million slot amount there and I would imagine that Hansen is slot as well. You can't just take the BPA on the board each time because guys wouldn't necessarily sign. For example, they took Michael Hickman in round 13. If he's over $100,000 he counts against their overall draft pool. They took 3-4 guys that will be under slot to save some $$ to sign Hickman and probably Ian Hamilton. It has t be done this way. If they took Hickman in round 7 and he doesn't sign, they don't get the player and they lose the ability to spend the money for that allocated slot.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
It's about pool $$. The Sox had like $9.5 million to spend on the draft. Their 1st pick is taking the full $3.3 million allotted, Burdi is probably close to the $2.2 million slot amount there and I would imagine that Hansen is slot as well. You can't just take the BPA on the board each time because guys wouldn't necessarily sign. For example, they took Michael Hickman in round 13. If he's over $100,000 he counts against their overall draft pool. They took 3-4 guys that will be under slot to save some $$ to sign Hickman and probably Ian Hamilton. It has t be done this way. If they took Hickman in round 7 and he doesn't sign, they don't get the player and they lose the ability to spend the money for that allocated slot.

And we have a high school kid in round 6 that will take an overslot deal to get done. That money needs to be saved somewhere.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)

I understand all this. The Sox approach meant they ended up with less of a share than others, who had the same constraints, and used a different path to more talent in terms of volume of top rated players. So are we less efficient with our dollars, or top heavy, and how do we differ from the teams that have had the best success in the draft since the new system was put in play? I understand how we got to where we got to, but are we laggards in understanding how best to work this system like we are in the international market? Ithe seems like our approach is to put all of our money on the top players and gamble that they'll succeed while hoping one of the cheap buys is a steal.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
I understand all this. The Sox approach meant they ended up with less of a share than others, who had the same constraints, and used a different path to more talent in terms of volume of top rated players. So are we less efficient with our dollars, or top heavy, and how do we differ from the teams that have had the best success in the draft since the new system was put in play? I understand how we got to where we got to, but are we laggards in understanding how best to work this system like we are in the international market? Ithe seems like our approach is to put all of our money on the top players and gamble that they'll succeed while hoping one of the cheap buys is a steal.

The problem is that the bonus pools at the top of the draft are way too high. That allowed Atlanta and Philadelphia to do what they did. Teams picking where the White Sox are picking don't have that luxury. They could have taken Lux at 10 and signed him for $2 million and someone else at #26 and signed them for $1 million and theoretically landed more players from the top 200. More isn't always better though.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)

The question is quality versus quantity.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
See my note in round 1 thread. Hostetler said most of their scouts think he can start. They'll decide next offseason whether to stretch him out

Let's hope they do.

For #26, it shouldn't be a question. You draft a starter, not relief pitcher that Hahn can rush up.

Scott MerkinVerified account

‏@scottmerkin

CWS sign 7th rounder Bernardo Flores for $200K (pick value=$214,900). LHP w/arm strength from USC

‏@scottmerkin

8th-rder Nathan Nolan signs w/@whitesox for $170K (pick value=$181,100).

‏@scottmerkin

Per the illustrious @JonathanMayo, CWS 11th rounder Ian Hamilton gets a slight bump from $100K limit ($101,800)

Jonathan MayoVerified account

‏@JonathanMayo

11th rder Ian Hamilton gets a slight bump from $100K limit ($101,800) w/@Whitesox. @Cougbaseball RHP better in pen than starting. @MLBDraft

Jonathan MayoVerified account

‏@JonathanMayo

4 senior signs: Matt Festa (7th rd; 10k; SEA); Alex Webb (9th; 5K; CIN); Max Dutto (9th, 10k; CWS); Sam Machonis (10th, 25K, DET) @MLBDraft

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
Let's hope they do.

For #26, it shouldn't be a question. You draft a starter, not relief pitcher that Hahn can rush up.

Tyler Jay was drafted 6th overall out of Illinois in 2015. He was a reliever all 3 years there. He finished up his draft season as a reliever, but was converted to a starter this season where he has been tearing it up through 10 starts. Has allowed only 2 HR on the year, has a K/9 over 9, and an ERA just over 2.

Dave Bush was drafted 55th overall out of Wake Forest. He was a reliever all 4 years at Wake. He was immediately converted to a starter and ended up starting nearly 200 major league games, accruing a career WAR just short of 11. Despite his horrid ERA, he actually had a few pretty solid seasons early on in his career.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
raBBit - Assuming Collins signing goes as planned; what is a REALISTIC timetable for him?

1-3 years, best case, never, worst case - the latter goes without saying, but is unlikely. However, guys that show patience but mediocre plate presence need to take a step forward. So, to answer the question for raBBit...nobody knows.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
Let's hope they do.

Yes, you draft a starter that you don't rush up as a reliever, and then let him spend a year as a reliever in the majors before he turns into one of the best starters in the majors.

Oh, you mean Burdi, and not Chris Sale. My apologies.

EDIT: I f'ed that last part up. Chris Sale did spend 2 years as a reliever. If they think Burdi can be a starter, and he works out, then awesome. If he can add something this year (without giving up a walk-off grandslam....again), then who cares? That's immediate value out of the draft. If he can't, no big loss.

Draft update post on Future Sox, including a bunch of reports we got ourselves (in addition to those being reported elsewhere). We've got about a dozen signees and another 6 or so that are on the verge, confirmed. Talked with some of the players.

By the way, SoxPride18, I noted a "second hand report" about Cashman, and it's really you. Just wasn't sure how to credit you, haha.

1. (10) Zack Collins C University of Miami - $3,380,600 ($0)

1. (26) Zach Burdi RHP University of Louisville ($2,128,500)

2. (49) Alec Hansen RHP Oklahoma University $1,200,000 ($84,500)

3. (86) Alex Call OF Ball State University $719,100 ($0)

4. (116) Jameson Fisher OF Southeastern Louisiana $485K ($26,300)

5. (146) Jimmy Lambert RHP Fresno State $325K ($57,800)

6. (176) Luis Curbelo SS Cocoa H.S. (Fla.) $700,000 ($286,700) ($413,300)

7. (206) Bernardo Flores LHP USC $200K ($14,900)

8. (236) Nate Nolan C St. Mary's $170K ($11,100)

9. (266) Max Dutto SS Menlo College (Calif.) $10K ($159,200)

10.(296) Zach Remillard 3B Coastal Carolina University ($157,900)

11 (326): Ian Hamilton RHP Washington State $101,800 ($1,800)

12 (356): Mitch Roman SS Wright State

13 (386): Michael Hickman C Chipola College (Fla.)

14 (416): Bryan Saucedo RHP Davenport U.

15 (446): Jake Elliott RHP Oklahoma

16 (476): Ben Wright RHP UNLV

17 (506): Brad Haymes RHP Gardner-Webb U.

18 (536): Lane Hobbs RHP Concordia U

19 (566): Anthony Villa 1B St. Mary's

20 (596): Matt Foster RHP Alabama

21 (626): Michael Horejsei LHP Ohio State

22 (656): Joel Booker, OF Iowa

23 (686): Sam Dexter, SS, Southern Maine $$ Unknown

24 (716): Brady Conlan, 3B Cal St. Dominguez Hills

25 (746): Charlie Madden, C Mercer

26 (776): Zach Farrar, OF Caroll HS (Texas)

27 (806): Mike Morrison, RHP Coastal Carolina University

28 (836): Aaron Schnurbusch, OF University of Pittsburgh

29 (866): Earl Henderson, 1B Central Arizona College

30 (896): Pat Cashman, RHP, Southeastern Louisiana University $$ Unknown

31 (926): Brandon Bossard, SS, Nazareth Academy (Illinois)

32 (956): Sean Renzi, RHP Central Michigan University

33 (986): Ryan Boetler, LHP Gardner-Webb University

34 (1016): Jaxon Shirley, 3B/2B Frankton-Lapel HS (Indiana)

35 (1046): Garrett Acton, RHP Lemont HS (Illinois)

36 (1076): Reese Cooley, OF Chipola College

37 (1106): Leo Kaplan, OF Harvard-Westlake HS (California)

38 (1136): Tyler Gordon, C Simeon Career Academy (Illinois)

39 (1166): Justin Lavey, SS Tremper HS (Wisconsin)

40 (1196): Drew Puglielli, 3B Gulf Coast HS (Florida)

(Pool money remaining)

$61,300 over slot if the number for Curbelo is correct.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
Jim CallisVerified account

‏@jimcallisMLB

2nd-rder Alec Hansen signs w/@WhiteSox, $1,284,500 (pick 49 value). Okla RHP, up to 99, wipeout brk stuff, inconsistent. @MLBDraft

A chance at that arm is well worth one and a quarter million dollars. Again, this could be the best pick of our entire draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
A chance at that arm is well worth one and a quarter million dollars. Again, this could be the best pick of our entire draft.

I couldn't agree more. I was at a music festival with bad phone service during the draft, but as soon as I saw we got Hansen, I was pretty stoked.