Sign in to follow this  
LittleHurt05

Euro 2016 Thread

Euro 2016 starts tonight, who is everybody picking and rooting for? I'm mentally prepping for another Polish meltdown on the big stage, but hopefully they can pull an upset or two.

Everyone seems to expect France to pull it off at home, I'm thinking Belgium finally breaks out and wins a big tourney, breaking English hearts in the final.

Dimitri Payet to score 3 free kicks at least.

France to win the whole shindig.

France not looking real good so far. Of course, Giroud already missed a good scoring chance...typical.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
The Euros get their own thread but Copa stays in the general soccer thread?

The Euros are way more important.

Payet looking very impressive so far. Lots of good runs and a few really good crosses/passes into the box.

Not a fan of third place teams advancing. I understand why the real

Copa America does it but not with the Euros.

This tournament's gonna be Payet's real coming out party. He's already famous for his free kicks, but he's shown far more than that in this game.

Oh my what a goal by Payet.

I didn't realize how much young talent France has, didn't known Martial and Coman were French.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
Oh my what a goal by Payet.

I didn't realize how much young talent France has, didn't known Martial and Coman were French.

They have so much young talent. The sad thing is that their young defenders (Varane, Zouma, and Laporte) are all injured, so their defense isn't as good as it should be. Rami is basically their 5th CB and he's not real good. They also left Lacazette and Ben Arfa off the roster even though they're two of the best scorers in Ligue 1.

Not sure why Tremoulinas and Kurzawa were left off the roster, because Evra sucks now. He almost cost them 3 points today with that awful challenge in the box.

Edited by chw42

Sigh, Real Madrid's gonna bid $60M for Payet now probably.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
The Euros get their own thread but Copa stays in the general soccer thread?

Feel free to start it's own thread if you want. I'm way more interested in the Euro tourney so I didn't think about one for the Copa.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Sigh, Real Madrid's gonna bid $60M for Payet now probably.

Yeah I'd be a bit scared if I were a West Ham fan right now. Payet might earn himself a nice payday and a bigger club.

That goalkeeper really got deked...was going totally in the wrong direction, couldn't regain his balance in time.

Hard to see behind the wall, guess he anticipated it going to the near post.

What is with FOX and ESPN feeling the need to given a token analyst spot to former US women players? Both the girl on FOX and Wambach have been terrible and useless. Wait, Wambach when describing Bale's first have goal said she was happy and proud of him. Dynamite drop in Abby, that broadcasting school is really starting to pay off....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Meanwhile, drunk Russian and English fans are beating the s*** out of each other in Marseille

nickeardleybbc: Have never seen anything like this in football stadium. Utter panic in England as some Russians charged. Women and children trampled.

(Also I doubt its as one sided as the BBC would like us to believe, but still, sounds like chaos in the stadium and now out of it).

http://www.espnfc.com/european-championshi...aw-at-euro-2016

Russian fans getting more of the blame.

From personal experience, I have seen some insane behavior out of Russian hockey fans in Moscow, Yaroslavl and St. Petersburg. Wouldn't wish a wave of those hooligans on my worst enemy. Granted, drinking is always involved...some blame has to go around to BOTH sides, but it's like comparing LeBron and Draymond, one is tyipcally the instigator.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
Is Robin Ventura managing England too? Certainly some questionable tactics.

Has a ton of good attacking talent...sit back and wait for Russia to score a goal in stoppage time.

Not sure what Hodgson was thinking.