Pulse Nightclub Shooting in Orlando

pettie4sox

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ex-wife of the 29-year-old man suspected of killing 50 people in a Orlando nightclub early Sunday said that he was violent and mentally unstable and beat her repeatedly while they were married.

The ex-wife said she met Omar Mateen online about eight years ago and decided to move to Florida and marry him.

At first, the marriage was normal, she said, but then he became abusive.

“He was not a stable person,” said the ex-wife, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because she feared for her safety in the wake of the mass shooting. “He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”

Full article

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Apparently this guy called 911 before doing this and pledged allegiance to ISIS

Source?

Wouldn't he be more likely to pledge allegiance to the Taliban?

ISIS doesn't specifically target gay "westerners" that I know of as a concerted strategy...at least not in Paris.

Somewhat related - LAPD stopped there from being a second one today.

Police in the Santa Monica area of Los Angeles say they've stopped a man with assault rifles, ammunition, and possible explosives in his vehicle, reportedly headed for the L.A. Pride festival in West Hollywood. The driver, who has yet to be identified by authorities, reportedly had Indiana plates. No connection has been made to the Orlando shooting at a gay nightclub that left more than 50 people dead.

According to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, a tip from the suspect's neighbor led to the unidentified individual's arrest.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
And Caufield, I don't understand why you're trying to make this a Radical Islam vs Anti-Gay thing. It's very clearly both and are not mutually exclusive. Believe it or not those things do not mix well.

They are violently and horrifically anti gay.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
This world sucks sometimes.

Amen, Rowand. That is my reaction, not a bunch of political bulls***. Sadness for victims and their families. Glad the bastard who did the shooting is dead.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
Why is every post in here about Trump? Even as someone who only posts about Trump, that's embarassing.

Very embarrassing. Very. It shows even more how many Americans are so used to these shootings they just chalk it up as another incident. I think of the horror in that building and the poor people who died and all the people helping the wounded.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
These are our neighbors, our co workers, the guy or gal that makes our internet work, teaches our children, cooks our food, takes care of us when we are sick, we say hello on the sidewalk. Now fifty have been killed and we focus on the rippling affect throughout our society. Hopefully those ripples take out the hate, the blind f***ing hate in this world.

Amen, Tex.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Online records show he was a registered Democrat.

Law enforcement officials told ABC News that Mateen had been “on the radar” of U.S. authorities for a while, but that he was not the target of an investigation.

Political correctness has to leave this country. What would happen if a neighbor had targeted the shooter and called the cops on him suspecting him of future troublemaking. The cops would be so scared to do anything. You can't target and harass someone you know. What if you were in the club and saw this motherf***er looking suspicious. You couldn't do anything lest you be described as intolerant of minorities. or a basher of minorities.

What if you were in a church and some guy wearing a turban walked in with a machine gun and you tackled him after he waved it in the air? What if it turned out the gun was empty and he was playing a joke? You'd be arrested for targeting a minority. Political correctness must go.

God bless Obama for his words today. Sadness for the victims. Sadness for Americans who are so numb to these things they immediately look to political ramifications and can't even emphasize with the victims.

Edited by greg775

More on the man arrested in LA

POLICE: MAN ARRESTED IN CALIFORNIA HAD GUNS, EXPLOSIVES

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) -- A heavily armed Indiana man arrested Sunday on his way to a Southern California gay pride parade told police he wanted to do harm to the event, authorities said.

James Wesley Howell, 20, of Indiana was arrested about 5 a.m. after neighbors reported suspicious behavior on the street where he was parked the wrong way in a white sedan, Santa Monica police said in a statement.

In the car, officers found three assault rifles, high capacity magazines and ammunition and a five-gallon bucket with chemicals that could be used to make an explosive device, police said.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
Apparently one of the features of our country is the sound of an empty building after a mass shooting with a number of cell phones going off as family members keep calling in the hope someone will pick up.

"Our" country. Because people in Paris and Tel Aviv and Sydney and Istanbul and Mexico and Damascus and Baghdad don't have cell phones. At least wait a day until you gloat over gun violence.

Why the USA? We're the only place in the world with these murders going on at least one a month.

Why the political correctness? The FBI knew this guys was a f***ing America-hater. Why can't we make his life hell? Track him daily? Grill him? Rough him up? Our leader knew this guy was a danger!!! But PC means we can't touch him til he kills 50 people in a nightclub.

All those young people dead. Probably most all of 'em had to be under 30. So this disaster most affects those who have had to grow up in a Post 9/11 world where the USA is a cesspool of violence. Chicago is a battle zone. Mass murders in schools, clubs, malls, next one is a sports arena. It will be so bad. You can't tell me these homegrown madmen aren't going to pull one of those off.

Only thing good about this situation last night is the killer is dead. I still haven't read how the cops shot him or what the killer did with his hostages. Last thing I read was he had hostages.

What a country. Some person reports she was saved only because she hid under a pile of dead bodies. Sorry you had to die, victims. Very sorry. Hope there is a heaven and you are in it.

Hope all the future killers are caught by the FBI BEFORE they murder!

p.s. could we please make it more difficult or impossible to buy assault rifles? I read the bastard that did this recently went and bought his weapons legally.

Edited by greg775

As the horror story of this continues I do need to ask the question ...

Why do we need regular people buying assault rifles? Now if the ONLY reason is we are afraid the police are going to attack us someday, that is a pretty weak reason. I mean doesn't common sense suggest we ban such weapons from being purchased?

I respect all people including gun advocates even though I've never actually picked up a real gun and I'm sure never will pick one up in my lifetime. Please explain. I am listening.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
As the horror story of this continues I do need to ask the question ...

Why do we need regular people buying assault rifles? Now if the ONLY reason is we are afraid the police are going to attack us someday, that is a pretty weak reason. I mean doesn't common sense suggest we ban such weapons from being purchased?

I respect all people including gun advocates even though I've never actually picked up a real gun and I'm sure never will pick one up in my lifetime. Please explain. I am listening.

A better question is why a guy who was interviewed by the FBI twice in the last 2 years, with known ties to an American suicide bomber....was allowed to buy a firearm(s) without a red flag being raised.

And for the one millionth time - an AR-15 is no more an assault rifle than a ranch rifle. That is a POLITICAL TERM.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Why the USA? We're the only place in the world with these murders going on at least one a month.

Why the political correctness? The FBI knew this guys was a f***ing America-hater. Why can't we make his life hell? Track him daily? Grill him? Rough him up? Our leader knew this guy was a danger!!! But PC means we can't touch him til he kills 50 people in a nightclub.

All those young people dead. Probably most all of 'em had to be under 30. So this disaster most affects those who have had to grow up in a Post 9/11 world where the USA is a cesspool of violence. Chicago is a battle zone. Mass murders in schools, clubs, malls, next one is a sports arena. It will be so bad. You can't tell me these homegrown madmen aren't going to pull one of those off.

Only thing good about this situation last night is the killer is dead. I still haven't read how the cops shot him or what the killer did with his hostages. Last thing I read was he had hostages.

What a country. Some person reports she was saved only because she hid under a pile of dead bodies. Sorry you had to die, victims. Very sorry. Hope there is a heaven and you are in it.

Hope all the future killers are caught by the FBI BEFORE they murder!

p.s. could we please make it more difficult or impossible to buy assault rifles? I read the bastard that did this recently went and bought his weapons legally.

Even if you don't like Michael Moore, I'd recommend watching "Bowling For Columbine". It's an unbiased movie that asks questions.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
A better question is why a guy who was interviewed by the FBI twice in the last 2 years, with known ties to an American suicide bomber....was allowed to buy a firearm(s) without a red flag being raised.

The FBI seems to be pretty terrible at this unless it's one of their elaborate entrapment schemes.

edit: but I guess the flip side of this is, realistically, what could they have done before? Political and religious extremism isn't illegal. He hadn't actually committed a crime, and his crime ultimately didn't seem to need a complex planning and preparation phase where he could be charged with trying to build bombs or something. The No-Fly list is already a pretty crappy violation of peoples' rights with all sorts of problems and virtually no due process, and a No-Guns list would be more of that.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Even if you don't like Michael Moore, I'd recommend watching "Bowling For Columbine". It's an unbiased movie that asks questions.

Not to go on a tangent, but nothing that gasbag does is unbiased.