2016-17 NHL Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
That is exactly what they did. Hockey has allowances for an emergency goaltender to be added for odd situations like this. It is pretty crazy honestly.

They would have went with Jimmy Waite, the 47 year old goaltending coach instead, but because he had played in the NHL previously it would have cost them against the cap. Semborski was an unpaid amateur, so zero cap hit, so funny. Had the Flyers scored with the empty net, Q says the kid would have been put in for the last minute.

Pretty surreal moment for the kid. Didn't get paid, but got signed pucks, hats and a jersey. I believe he will also be at the Hawks holiday party since the boys made him pony up $200. It was also his dad's birthday today. Very cool.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
Pretty surreal moment for the kid. Didn't get paid, but got signed pucks, hats and a jersey. I believe he will also be at the Hawks holiday party since the boys made him pony up $200. It was also his dad's birthday today. Very cool.

Didn't get paid? That's kind of odd. I get the players union doesn't give a s*** about random emergency players, but thought he would receive a sweet 1-day salary of like $3K or whatever it would have been.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
Didn't get paid? That's kind of odd. I get the players union doesn't give a s*** about random emergency players, but thought he would receive a sweet 1-day salary of like $3K or whatever it would have been.

They pass the hat in the locker room off the record.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 4, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Hawks recall goaltender Lars Johansson from Rockford and assigned forward Nick Schmaltz to the IceHogs.

It's the right call, Schmaltz has been nowhere to be found.

Yeah, he has been very unnoticeable. I keep waiting for him to breakout, but not much. The rest of the rookie class has been way ahead of him so far.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 4, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Not to sound too much like Deadpool (that's a scary thought) but Toews overall has been a disappointment the last 12 months.

True, maybe it's a lingering injury. So much talk about the lack of a 3rd player on that 1st line, but that shouldn't be an excuse for a $10+ million player.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:31 AM)
True, maybe it's a lingering injury. So much talk about the lack of a 3rd player on that 1st line, but that shouldn't be an excuse for a $10+ million player.

It was mentioned it was a pre-existing injury that was tweaked. So the extra time off is being given to full recover.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
That is correct. When you become one of the highest paid players in the league, expectations are set. Toews agreed to the deal.

And he has not earned his salary since he signed it. Still love the guy, and would still probably want the Hawks to do it again if they could, but the fact remains the numbers haven't been there.

Eh, this time last year everyone was saying that Hossa was done. Playing over an injury and having instability on his line make a lot of sense for Toews. I am certainly not panicking and writing him off yet.