2016-17 NHL Thread

Columbus is having the best season in their franchise hisotry, but are gonna get royally screwed by the new playoff format. They are the 2nd in the league in points, but will have to face the 3rd highest team in round 1, then likely the best team in round 2.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Michael Russo‏Verified account @Russostrib 5h5 hours ago #Blackhawks were the other team that came very close to Lettieri, but #nyrangers got him. Attended camps w em, Stepan, Skjei helped recruit

2. Michael Russo‏Verified account @Russostrib 5h5 hours ago Vinni Lettieri closing in on a 2-yr deal w/ the #NYRangers. Will be in Hartford Tues. to play final 8 games after breakout year w/ #gophers

Quenneville has made some questionable decisions in the past, but pairing Oduya with Seabrook might be one of his worst. Those two didn't work together 2-3 years ago and that was when both guys were younger (and in Oduya's case, faster). Why does he think it's going to work now?

And I can't believe Panik and Schmaltz didn't sniff the ice in OT, and both guys were our best forwards in the game.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
I feel like this happens every year during a Cup season. They build a lead in the Western Conference, play out of their mind, then take some time off and coast until things get real in the playoffs.

Yeah, not really concerned. In fact, it's good this is happening now instead of 3 weeks from now. You know they weren't gonna just keep cruising until June.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
Hawks have won the Central and the West. They have won the Central three times since Kane and Toews and the first two times (2009-2010, 2012-2013) we know what happened.

Pretty impressive given how many questions we all had in October. They are the best team in the West but playoff hockey is a b****. Should be fun.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 06:30 PM)
Pretty impressive given how many questions we all had in October. They are the best team in the West but playoff hockey is a b****. Should be fun.

Think about how far back they were in January. Jeez

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
The NHL will NOT be sending players to the 2018 Olympics. That's a bummer, Hawks injuries be damned. Olympic hockey is awesome and it won't be the same without the top players.

I wonder how many NHL players will go anyway. It's only two weeks or so worth of games they'll have to miss.

I know ovechkin has said he'd go either way but I wonder if it will even be allowed.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
I wonder how many NHL players will go anyway. It's only two weeks or so worth of games they'll have to miss.

I know ovechkin has said he'd go either way but I wonder if it will even be allowed.

I'm sure Ovechkin will go, but I don't know how many will join him. You have to be in good standing with your club, because I'd assume it could void your contract. Or if you got hurt, your team's insurance may not cover it at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm sure Ovechkin will go, but I don't know how many will join him. You have to be in good standing with your club, because I'd assume it could void your contract. Or if you got hurt, your team's insurance may not cover it at all.

It will be interesting to see how many players flee for a place like the KHL where they will probably be allowed to play for their home country (Russia or the old satellites in most cases)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
It will be interesting to see how many players flee for a place like the KHL where they will probably be allowed to play for their home country (Russia or the old satellites in most cases)

Like you were saying...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1908271...ck-khl-olympics

I think it's limiting because you have to be a free agent after this season, unless you pull a Kovalchuk.

MOSCOW -- The Russian Hockey Federation wants as many players as possible back in the Kontinental Hockey League next season in preparation for the Olympics without the NHL.

Board chairman Arkady Rotenberg said in a statement Wednesday that the federation will try to keep KHL players from leaving for North America and bring NHL free agents back this summer. He said some Russian players want to go to the Olympics even with an NHL contract. He says that decision is worthy of respect.

Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin reiterated Tuesday he plans to represent Russia in the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea despite the NHL announcing it would not participate.

Rotenberg said the federation will help players with legal issues so they can play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
The NHL will NOT be sending players to the 2018 Olympics. That's a bummer, Hawks injuries be damned. Olympic hockey is awesome and it won't be the same without the top players.

The Championship window for the Hawks is finite. Can't risk losing any guys. And even if they don't get hurt, if last season taught us anything the deep runs in the playoffs every year take a toll on this team. Kane, Toews, and Keith have no business playing any extra competitive hockey.

There is ONLY the Stanley Cup. It's the only thing our guys are paid $10.5 million each for.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
The Championship window for the Hawks is finite. Can't risk losing any guys. And even if they don't get hurt, if last season taught us anything the deep runs in the playoffs every year take a toll on this team. Kane, Toews, and Keith have no business playing any extra competitive hockey.

There is ONLY the Stanley Cup. It's the only thing our guys are paid $10.5 million each for.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I can't disagree with anything you say, but I don't care. Olympic hockey is awesome at the top level and it's worth the risk for me. Maybe I'd feel differently as a Caps who never win anything.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Yeah, yeah, I know, I can't disagree with anything you say, but I don't care. Olympic hockey is awesome at the top level and it's worth the risk for me. Maybe I'd feel differently as a Caps who never win anything.

I freaking love Olympic hockey. The bigger rink and the lack of physicality just makes for a beautiful display of the skill players.