2016-17 NHL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
Saad - Ladd - Sharp

Teuvo - Frolik - Brouwer

Bolland

Byfuglien - Leddy

Oduya - Campbell

That's the start of a playoff team right there, thanks salary cap!

Happens in sports. It sucks but price ya pay for winning. I'd take it all day everyday. I have seen the Pens win two cups and wouldn't trade it (unless I could trade them for a Chiefs Super Bowl :lol:). In the NFL, the Ravens had their team ripped apart twice IIRC, the Broncos this season lost some key players (as Bears fans, y'all know) as well. Take the championships and roll on boys. You saw three of them recently.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 11:47 PM)
Happens in sports. It sucks but price ya pay for winning. I'd take it all day everyday. I have seen the Pens win two cups and wouldn't trade it (unless I could trade them for a Chiefs Super Bowl :lol:). In the NFL, the Ravens had their team ripped apart twice IIRC, the Broncos this season lost some key players (as Bears fans, y'all know) as well. Take the championships and roll on boys. You saw three of them recently.

Also, Dave Bolland wouldn't even make the team. He's turned out to be horrible.

But I do agree on the championships. I'd gladly take 3 World Series' or 3 Super Bowls in 7 years if it meant they had to get rid of young, up and coming players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Blech.

670 The Score Verified account ‏@670TheScore 7m7 minutes ago

#Blackhawks sign forward Jordin Tootoo to a 1-year deal http://cbsloc.al/29uGcmA

That's cheap enough though that they can send him to Rockford and not have it count against the cap if they need to.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Stan Bowman was out watching Vesey yesterday.

Swoop him in Stan!

Vesey-Toews-Hossa

Panarin-Anisomov-Kane

Panik-Kruger Schmaltz

Desjardins-Rasmussen-Hartman

Tootoo, Mashinter

Garbage first line.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Stan Bowman was out watching Vesey yesterday.

Swoop him in Stan!

Vesey-Toews-Hossa

Panarin-Anisomov-Kane

Panik-Kruger Schmaltz

Desjardins-Rasmussen-Hartman

Tootoo, Mashinter

Vesey seems like a real tool. He wanted out of Nashville and he refused to talk with Buffalo. He has a load of talent but he seems like a real piece of work.

Panik Toews Schmaltz

Panarin Anisimov Kane

Hinostroza Motte Hossa

Desjardins Kruger Hartmann

Mashinter/Tootoo/Rasmussen

I still could see them trying to deal Kruger in which case sub Ras for him.

Edited by soxfan49

• 2 weeks later...

I never really read the details of expansion. I'm sure you guys already chatted about this, but

1. Teams will have the option to protect either seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goalie, or eight skaters at any position and one goalie. That’ll mean some interesting tradeoffs to be made: if a team doesn’t want to risk losing a second-pairing defenseman, it’s going to be forced to expose two second-line forwards.

It’s also a change from the last expansion draft, when teams could choose to protect two goalies. Think of all the decent backups around the league now, and the out-and-out goalie controversies—some legitimate potential starters are going to be headed to Vegas. (Luckily for Tampa, Ben Bishop is a UFA next summer. Pittsburgh’s situation might be a little trickier, especially if they’d be forced to protect Marc-Andre Fleury due to his limited no-movement clause. But, this is why the NHL is giving teams a year’s heads-up to plan for this.)

2. Teams will be forced to expose at least two forwards and one defenseman who played at least 40 games in the previous season, or a combined 70 in the previous two. That means legit NHL-caliber guys are going to be drafted.

Because Las Vegas must draft one player from all 30 teams, your team is going to lose someone it regularly ices.

Some more rules:

• Teams must protect players that have no-movement clauses active in the 2017-18 season, though they can ask those players to waive their no-movement clauses.
  • First- and second-year pros (that includes NHL and AHL time) are exempt.
  • Teams cannot reacquire players they trade after Jan. 1, 2017 prior to Jan. 1, 2018.
  • Las Vegas must draft a team that earns between 60 percent and 100 percent of the 2016-17 salary cap.
  • Las Vegas will get draft lottery odds equivalent to the team that finishes third-last in the league this upcoming season.

The Blackhawks will be quite exposed next year.

source: http://deadspin.com/the-las-vegas-nhl-team..._source=taboola

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
I never really read the details of expansion. I'm sure you guys already chatted about this, but

With all of the big contracts they have, they should be able to expose some dollars to get rid of.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)

I can't guarantee the accuracy of this, but according to Second City, the worst the Hawks would lose would be Kruger, if not then just a TVR/Hartman/Pokke/Svedberg type player. You can only lose one player. It could be worse.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/6/16/...ction-las-vegas

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
I can't guarantee the accuracy of this, but according to Second City, the worst the Hawks would lose would be Kruger, if not then just a TVR/Hartman/Pokke/Svedberg type player. You can only lose one player. It could be worse.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/6/16/...ction-las-vegas

Oh, the only one player thing is good news. Yes, it could be worse.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
That actually would be terrible, as if he retires with the Vegas team before his contract is up, the Hawks have to foot the bill and it still impacts the cap.

LTIR is the only way they get out of the Hoss money, which is exactly what I think is going to happen after this season, especially if he continues to play like the 3rd liner. (I understand his age, I'm not saying it's all on Hossa).

Ideally he "retires" before the expansion draft so we don't have to worry about it, and we can protect another roster spot.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
That actually would be terrible, as if he retires with the Vegas team before his contract is up, the Hawks have to foot the bill and it still impacts the cap.

LTIR is the only way they get out of the Hoss money, which is exactly what I think is going to happen after this season, especially if he continues to play like the 3rd liner. (I understand his age, I'm not saying it's all on Hossa).

I have no problem with him playing like a 3rd liner. As long as Q actually plays him on the 3rd line. That will leave a hole next to #19, but I think Hossa can still be a solid contributor with his solid D.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Ideally he "retires" before the expansion draft so we don't have to worry about it, and we can protect another roster spot.

Ideally he remains productive for the remainder of his contract. If he retires next offseason, the Hawks still pay a penalty.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 23m23 minutes ago

Looks like Kris Versteeg's playing career is taking a different path. He's expected to sign with Bern in Swiss League this wknd.

How in the hell did Versteeg not land an NHL job? There are much worse players in the league than him, despite his flaws as a player.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
How in the hell did Versteeg not land an NHL job? There are much worse players in the league than him, despite his flaws as a player.

I'm inclined to feel the same way. Confused for sure. Maybe it's just his price? I can't believe it's much.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
I like your new avatar.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Edited by Deadpool