The Second Wildcard

flavum

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
Nope. You have Q, Shields, and Rodon going against the Twins and then Gonzalez, Sale, and Q against the Stros. Very doable to go 5-1 in that stretch. They will have 3 wins from the first series alone.

Well, Sale has to face his demons and get past the Twins for once this year.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just taking a step back, these are my thoughts:

Most talented teams:

Central: Indians - they've been doing this with a banged up and almost non-existent OF. If Brantley could ever get healthy and they make a decent acquisition? This team then gets that much more scary. Plus anything from Yan Gomes would be another huge plus. This team is the most complete in the division.

Royals - they have weathered a ton of injuries. I don't see them being over aggressive like last year because they know they probably have a year or two where the fan base will come if they are just in the thick of it. They need a few too many pieces and I just don't see them trading their prospects for the pithcing they need.

Sox - we need a C, OF, and DH help. Bullpen too. We know our problems.

Tigers - This team has offensive talent. Some iffy pitching talent and a bad bullpen. See them hovering around and probably hitting a 10-15 real rough patch that puts them out of it. Maybe that rough patch instead goes well and they are in it til the end too but doubtful.

East:

Orioles - They have the bats. Their pitching has actually been decent. Still could add an arm. This team isn't going anywhere though.

Jays - Offense is there. Pitching is decent. Sanchez wont be starting all year though. They'll have a Chavez step in or Floyd. They'll be around all year.

BoSox - offense is amazing. Pitching isn't. We know how aggressive they can and will be. They have the prospects. This team will be in it.

YAnks - A shame they'll waste that three headed monster for the 7-8-9 innings. Team is just too old and frail and thin. They are caught where we are. They know if they do make the playoffs they probably could make noise, but they should probably tear it down and trade to gain prospects.

Rays - my most surprising team. They were .500 before a ton of injuries. This was a team that I predicted could win the WS. Them and the Rangers. Pithcing depth is amazing. They'll probably trade off a few of those SP and get a few prospects in return for the field. They'll be strong next year. Erasmo Ramirez is a guy I'd look at for the Sox. I like him.

West

Rangers- best team in the AL IMO and they have had only 3 starts from Darvish. Offesnse is deep and have had nothing from Fielder. Think about the 1-2 punch of DArvish and Hamels in the playoffs with that offense. Think they'll be in the WS against the Cubs.

Astros - I am biased as I lived in Houston last year, but this team really doesn't have many holes. Not the strongest pitching or bullpen, but can get it done.

Angels - Out of it. just don't have the makeup to win this year or next year. Sucks for Trout, that team isn't very good.

A's - not a very good team

Seattle - team has a very injured pithcing staff. Before that they were right in the thick of it. Maybe they get healthy and go on a run, but I put their chances with the likes of the Sox and Yanks.

So all of that:

2 WC running...

I'd say the teams better than us are definitely: BoSox, Jays, Stros

In the ballpark with us: Yanks, Royals, Seattle, ChiSox

Hanging on by a thread: Tigers, Rays

Out - Angels, A's, Twins

We'll need a bit of luck and hope that the East beats each other up enough. Also #1 is we'll have to beat our

AL central opponents to have any chance. I think you can give the BoSox 1 WC as they will make the big trade to get a SP.

Jays, Stros, and Royals will be our main competition for the second spot.

Jays might have trouble with their rotation staying healthy and strong. Sanchez is on an innings limit. Stroman is one year removed from TJ Surgery. etc. You move a Chavez or a Floyd from the bullpen and all of a sudden the BP is weaker.

Royals keep doing this despite their rotation and lack of household names and injuries in the field. I don't know what to say.

What the Sox need to do is: acquire a BP guy, hope that Morneau is the answer we want and hopefully add some kind of super utility speed guy to the bench that can steal bases and play multiple positions.

I'd like to Erasmo Ramirez on this team. Insurance for the rotation and can fill a nice gap in the bullpen at a relatively lower price.

The Rangers are 19th in wRC+ and they have a crazy-good record in 1-run games despite a bullpen ERA of 4.69. I read an article about how they're currently on pace to be the luckiest team of all-time in terms of sequencing. Way too early to just put them into the World Series out of the AL. They're much closer to a .500 team than their current record in terms of true talent. They've had quite a run recently but I'm not at all convinced they're the best team in the AL.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
The Rangers are 19th in wRC+ and they have a crazy-good record in 1-run games despite a bullpen ERA of 4.69. I read an article about how they're currently on pace to be the luckiest team of all-time in terms of sequencing. Way too early to just put them into the World Series out of the AL. They're much closer to a .500 team than their current record in terms of true talent. They've had quite a run recently but I'm not at all convinced they're the best team in the AL.

That may very well be. I just look at that team with Darvish and without the injuries to the starting rotation and also maybe add in a Gallo plus maybe trading a prospect or two to solidify that bullpen... I don't there are many better teams in the AL.

It's just my opinion that they have the Minor Leauge talent, the aggressive FO, people on the DL, and talented team where by September that's going to be even more of a well greased machine.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Just taking a step back, these are my thoughts:

Most talented teams:

Central: Indians - they've been doing this with a banged up and almost non-existent OF. If Brantley could ever get healthy and they make a decent acquisition? This team then gets that much more scary. Plus anything from Yan Gomes would be another huge plus. This team is the most complete in the division.

Royals - they have weathered a ton of injuries. I don't see them being over aggressive like last year because they know they probably have a year or two where the fan base will come if they are just in the thick of it. They need a few too many pieces and I just don't see them trading their prospects for the pithcing they need.

Sox - we need a C, OF, and DH help. Bullpen too. We know our problems.

Tigers - This team has offensive talent. Some iffy pitching talent and a bad bullpen. See them hovering around and probably hitting a 10-15 real rough patch that puts them out of it. Maybe that rough patch instead goes well and they are in it til the end too but doubtful.

East:

Orioles - They have the bats. Their pitching has actually been decent. Still could add an arm. This team isn't going anywhere though.

Jays - Offense is there. Pitching is decent. Sanchez wont be starting all year though. They'll have a Chavez step in or Floyd. They'll be around all year.

BoSox - offense is amazing. Pitching isn't. We know how aggressive they can and will be. They have the prospects. This team will be in it.

YAnks - A shame they'll waste that three headed monster for the 7-8-9 innings. Team is just too old and frail and thin. They are caught where we are. They know if they do make the playoffs they probably could make noise, but they should probably tear it down and trade to gain prospects.

Rays - my most surprising team. They were .500 before a ton of injuries. This was a team that I predicted could win the WS. Them and the Rangers. Pithcing depth is amazing. They'll probably trade off a few of those SP and get a few prospects in return for the field. They'll be strong next year. Erasmo Ramirez is a guy I'd look at for the Sox. I like him.

West

Rangers- best team in the AL IMO and they have had only 3 starts from Darvish. Offesnse is deep and have had nothing from Fielder. Think about the 1-2 punch of DArvish and Hamels in the playoffs with that offense. Think they'll be in the WS against the Cubs.

Astros - I am biased as I lived in Houston last year, but this team really doesn't have many holes. Not the strongest pitching or bullpen, but can get it done.

Angels - Out of it. just don't have the makeup to win this year or next year. Sucks for Trout, that team isn't very good.

Seattle - team has a very injured pithcing staff. Before that they were right in the thick of it. Maybe they get healthy and go on a run, but I put their chances with the likes of the Sox and Yanks.

So all of that:

2 WC running...

I'd say the teams better than us are definitely: BoSox, Jays, Stros

In the ballpark with us: Yanks, Royals, Seattle, ChiSox

Hanging on by a thread: Tigers, Rays

Out - Angels, A's, Twins

We'll need a bit of luck and hope that the East beats each other up enough. Also #1 is we'll have to beat our

AL central opponents to have any chance. I think you can give the BoSox 1 WC as they will make the big trade to get a SP.

Jays, Stros, and Royals will be our main competition for the second spot.

Jays might have trouble with their rotation staying healthy and strong. Sanchez is on an innings limit. Stroman is one year removed from TJ Surgery. etc. You move a Chavez or a Floyd from the bullpen and all of a sudden the BP is weaker.

Royals keep doing this despite their rotation and lack of household names and injuries in the field. I don't know what to say.

What the Sox need to do is: acquire a BP guy, hope that Morneau is the answer we want and hopefully add some kind of super utility speed guy to the bench that can steal bases and play multiple positions.

I'd like to Erasmo Ramirez on this team. Insurance for the rotation and can fill a nice gap in the bullpen at a relatively lower price.

Sox record against:

Red Sox 4-3

Astros 1-2

Jays 5-1

JenniferLawrenceOk.gif

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Once again, the second wildcard can give teams legitimate hope and a false sense of hope.

It's possible you haven't looked at this yet this or even know who's leading the 2nd Wildcard.

The Blue Jays lead, and are on pace for 87 wins. The Mariners, Tigers, and Royals are ahead of the White Sox.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/view/wi...rd/group/league

This scenario may actually be saving Ventura's job right now. On the other hand, the Sox were once in a position where 64-64 after 23-11 would have won 87 games. That's a shame.

It's hard for me to consider the White Sox when they are significantly below .500 when Sale is not pitching.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Sox record against:

Red Sox 4-3

Astros 1-2

Jays 5-1

JenniferLawrenceOk.gif

I'm glad we've beaten those teams, but they definitely are better than us.

Hey this team was never as good as they were in the first month or as bad as they were during that awful stretch. Probably is about right to be .500 right now. But when I look at the 4-5 of Gonzalez and Shields it is a lot better than Latos and Danks. So hopefully we can be the 85-87 win team we hoped for.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)

Hey this team was never as good as they were in the first month or as bad as they were during that awful stretch. Probably is about right to be .500 right now. But when I look at the 4-5 of Gonzalez and Shields it is a lot better than Latos and Danks. So hopefully we can be the 85-87 win team we hoped for.

Hard to say they are "definitely" better than the Sox when the Sox are collectively 10-6 against those teams.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)

Think this is exactly where we are going to end up, unless a big trade happens (buyer or seller). My prediction before the season began was 86 wins and missing the second WC by a game, maybe two.

Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen.....

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Hard to say they are "definitely" better than the Sox when the Sox are collectively 10-6 against those teams.

On days that Chris Sale is pitching (and Quintana should be near that category), the White Sox are about as good as any team in the majors. 3/5 of the time, though, the team isn't very good. Saying that, I'm confident that, most days, the Blue Jays and Red Sox (and probably the Astros) are better than the White Sox.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
On days that Chris Sale is pitching (and Quintana should be near that category), the White Sox are about as good as any team in the majors. 3/5 of the time, though, the team isn't very good. Saying that, I'm confident that, most days, the Blue Jays and Red Sox (and probably the Astros) are better than the White Sox.

The Blue Jays and Red Sox have better offenses. Sox have better pitching.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
The Blue Jays and Red Sox have better offenses. Sox have better pitching.

Interestingly, Torotno's pitching staff actually has the 3rd best ERA in the AL. The White Sox's staff has slightly more fWAR, but it's closer than I'd have guessed had I not looked (Sox are 7th, Blue Jays 9th in MLB in fWAR). Blue Jays and Red Sox have also both had comparably difficult schedules to the White Sox.

Central: Indians - they've been doing this with a banged up and almost non-existent OF. If Brantley could ever get healthy and they make a decent acquisition? This team then gets that much more scary. Plus anything from Yan Gomes would be another huge plus. This team is the most complete in the division. Chisenhall's finally hitting and Rajai Davis is Rajaing...not to mention Jose Ramirez has been a pleasant surprise. They're not bad, not to mention Tyler Naquin. Bullpen is their weakness, even Shaw has been hittable. Allen's sold, though.

Royals - they have weathered a ton of injuries. I don't see them being over aggressive like last year because they know they probably have a year or two where the fan base will come if they are just in the thick of it. They need a few too many pieces and I just don't see them trading their prospects for the pithcing they need. They also know that they wouldn't be in it if not for their rookies overperforming. Morales is on a tear now and Gordon's back. Will definitely add to the back end of their bullpen. Targeting someone like Bruce/Beltran, 5th starter and potentially dump Escobar's sub 600 OPS but that's less likely.

Sox - we need a C, OF, and DH help. Bullpen too. We know our problems.Catcher is no longer a priority with Avila playing better and the dearth of available upgrades and cost of those upgrades prohibitive, like Lucroy. Might need to add one more starter/swing man.

Tigers - This team has offensive talent. Some iffy pitching talent and a bad bullpen. See them hovering around and probably hitting a 10-15 real rough patch that puts them out of it. Maybe that rough patch instead goes well and they are in it til the end too but doubtful.Waiting for JD Martinez's return. Need to get overperformance from Daniel Norris and Anibal Sanchez to survive. Fulmer has been great, Zimmermann struggling a bit recently and Verlander a net positive. Kinsler has been their MVP. That offense is scary if it can get going, but they have a lot of defensive holes as well.

East:

Orioles - They have the bats. Their pitching has actually been decent. Still could add an arm. This team isn't going anywhere though.Underselling them considerably. Adam Jones has been terrible for most of the first half and is just getting on track. Strong bullpen. Enough pitching to muddle through.

Jays - Offense is there. Pitching is decent. Sanchez wont be starting all year though. They'll have a Chavez step in or Floyd. They'll be around all year.Floyd can't start anymore. Saunders has been one of the biggest surprises in baseball. His non-trade had a huge impact on two teams.

Rays - my most surprising team. They were .500 before a ton of injuries. This was a team that I predicted could win the WS. Them and the Rangers. Pithcing depth is amazing. They'll probably trade off a few of those SP and get a few prospects in return for the field. They'll be strong next year. Erasmo Ramirez is a guy I'd look at for the Sox. I like him.And what are you willing to trade for him? Odorizzi's also on the market. Moore would be potentially if he was pitching the same as he did pre-injury.

West

Rangers- best team in the AL IMO and they have had only 3 starts from Darvish. Offesnse is deep and have had nothing from Fielder. Think about the 1-2 punch of DArvish and Hamels in the playoffs with that offense. Think they'll be in the WS against the Cubs.Not to mention Choo has been out as well.

Astros - I am biased as I lived in Houston last year, but this team really doesn't have many holes. Not the strongest pitching or bullpen, but can get it done.Reed (and T.White) aren't/weren't sure things. Springer, Correa and Altuve are great, but the offense thins out after those two. Rasmus has been hot. A bat and a starting pitcher short, currently. Still might be favorite for 2nd WC

Seattle - team has a very injured pithcing staff. Before that they were right in the thick of it. Maybe they get healthy and go on a run, but I put their chances with the likes of the Sox and Yanks. They have a shot just because of the A's and Angels, and never count out a team with Cruz/Cano/Seager. K. Marte has held his own. Injuries have taken their toll. Young pitching like Paxton/Walker will always be inconsistent (see Rodon)

Then there’s Sanchez and Mike Pelfrey, whom the team expected to stabilize the rotation as a bona-fide No. 3 and innings-eating No. 4, respectively. Instead, they have combined for a 6.35 ERA in 26 starts. No offense, not even one as talented as the Tigers, can make up for that kind of performance by the most important asset in baseball.

When talent evaluators sized up the Tigers in the spring, they pointed to Sanchez as the X-factor, saying much of the team’s fortunes rested on the fact he regain some of his old form. Instead, he has regressed even more sharply, appearing like a shell of the pitcher he once was until he can fully grasp a more finesse approach on the mound, one that doesn’t require a mid-90s fastball anymore. The Pelfrey signing, a two-year, $16-million deal that didn’t look good then and looks worse now, is amplified by Sanchez’s struggles. Their primary fall-back option, left-hander Matt Boyd, isn’t ready for the big leagues. Norris should stay; he showed good enough stuff in his first start to inspire more confidence than Sanchez and Pelfrey.

freep.com/sports

You can probably stick a fork in the Tigers, unless Daniel Norris outperforms. Sanchez was just pulled from the rotation for the second and probably final time this year. Their owner doesn't want to spend more than $200 million, and the cost for starting pitching in this upcoming trade market is going to be sky high/prohibitive, even compared to 2015.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Interestingly, Torotno's pitching staff actually has the 3rd best ERA in the AL. The White Sox's staff has slightly more fWAR, but it's closer than I'd have guessed had I not looked (Sox are 7th, Blue Jays 9th in MLB in fWAR). Blue Jays and Red Sox have also both had comparably difficult schedules to the White Sox.

Oh yeah I know. I'd rather have the Sox staff than either of those pitching staffs though.

Boston +6

Houston/KC +4 1 GB

Toronto 1/2 ahead OR 1/2 GB (at Colorado, trailing 4-1 in the 4th)

Detroit +1 1 1/2 GB

Seattle +1 1 1/2 GB

CHW -1 2 1/2 GB

NYY -2 3 GB

7th in the WC standings at the moment.

Ahead of the Yankees by 1/2 game and OAK/TB/LAA/Minnesota.

Edited by caulfield12

Somehow, the Tigers pulled off a miracle rally down 7-2 going in the late innings in Tampa.

Scored 8 runs in one inning, so stay a game ahead of the Sox.

Boston/KC +6 (KC gets the Phillies next, in PA)

3. Toronto/Houston +5 1/2 GB

5.Detroit +3 1 1/2 GB

6.CHW/SEA +1 2 1/2 GB

8.NYY E 3 GB

Eight teams bunched up within 3 games right now. Indians up 8 1/2 in the division, 6 over KC, 7 1/2 over DET.