The Second Wildcard

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnis...tions/86974920/

Tigers in almost the exact same position as the White Sox. Their most desired trade assets are key parts of their "two year plan" which goes through 2017...they also are stuck with $38 million in bad contracts for Sanchez and Lowe, not to mention the Verlander/Cabrera contracts keeping them permanently suspended in "win now" mode.

So you've got the White Sox, Tigers, Royals and Yankees that are "stuck" in a position where adding anything of significance might not make any sense financially or prospects surrended-wise.

You've got Baltimore, Boston, Toronto (depleted minor leagues but drawing huge crowds so the revenue's there to make at least one move), Cleveland, Texas and Houston really looking to make a move. And Angels are also basically "stuck" for a number of reasons.

That leaves the Seattle Mariners as the one big mystery team in this wild card race, because they already have Cano/Cruz and a gold mine with their new ROOT tv deal providing them $118 million per season.

OAK, TB and MIN are your three rosters to pick from on the AL side.

Kind of. Toronto players get paid in US dollars. But their box office revenue is in Canadian dollars. So apples to apples, the Jays drawing 38, 000 would be equivalent to the White Sox drawing 29,000

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much is made about "making the playoffs." I would much rather not make the playoffs than get in as a wold card and lose the elimination game, or make the playoffs and get swept and humiliated in four games by the Mets.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Too much is made about "making the playoffs." I would much rather not make the playoffs than get in as a wold card and lose the elimination game, or make the playoffs and get swept and humiliated in four games by the Mets.

That means we would of made the World Series which I would gladly take.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't know if there is an actual win total that matters whether they should blow things up. Out of the playoffs is out of the playoffs. To me, 76-86 or 86-76 is the same thing if you're going home.

That said, I think the Sox will be 77-78 or 78-77 with a week left, and they'll play the Rays and Twins 7 games at home that won't mean anything to anyone. They'll probably be shutting Sale down after 32 starts.

If they win 86-88 and still miss the playoffs that sucks but to me that's better than 79 wins. That means blowing the Texas and KC series cost us the playoffs. Only winning 79 means we're still far off.

Not me. Get Sale or Q the elimination game and see what happens.

Lol, wAt!?!!

lol, wut. You'd rather stay home than go the World Series and lose?

Gurriel signing with the Astros and likely adding to that lineup in August and September isnt exactly going to help...

The only question is where he plays. Bregman, Correa, Altuve....then you've got Valbuena, Reed and Gattis for 1B/DH.

Wonder if they try him in LF? That would knock out Rasmus from playing time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Next two weeks:

Bos 44-37 -- 3 vs Tex, 3 vs TB, 3 at NY

Det 44-38 -- 3 at Cle, 4 at Tor, 3 vs KC

Tor 45-39 -- 3 vs KC, 4 vs Det, 3 at Oak

KC 43-38 -- 3 at Tor, 4 vs Sea, 3 at Det

Hou 43-39 -- 3 vs Sea, 4 vs Oak, 3 at Sea

Sea 43-39 -- 3 at Hou, 4 at KC, 3 vs Hou

Sox 42-40 -- 3 vs NY, 3 vs Atl, 3 at LAA

A lot of head-to-head where teams can go 5-5, while the Sox can go 7-2. Could look good in a couple weeks if the Sox handle their business.

Astros and Blue Jays won again today.

A review of the last two weeks:

Red Sox 7-2

Astros 7-3

Blue Jays 7-3

Tigers 4-6

White Sox 3-6

Royals 3-7

Mariners 3-7

Good teams win. Bad teams lose. Profound, I know.

Edited by flavum

Blue Jays hold the second wildcard, on pace for 89 wins.

Remaining records for 88 wins:

Cle 34-37

Tex 33-36

Bal 35-37

----------

Bos 37-35

Tor 36-32

Hou 38-32

Det 40-30

----------

Maybe you give the Tigers an outside shot, but then you have the pretenders:

KC 42-29

Sea 42-28

Sox 43-28

NY 43-28

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
The White Sox playoffs odds are less then 5%. The playoff drought will continue.

I'm grouchy today, so here's a rant:

One playoff appearance in the past 10 years in only a 5 team division.

This franchise is PATHETIC. I'm becoming more indifferent to this team with every consecutive year of failure. Only went to one game at the Cell this season so far and I'm not sure I'll go to a second.

I'd rather watch my 10 year old kid's travel team.

And don't ask "When do the Bears start?" They're a bunch of losers, too. They've made the playoffs just as infrequently lately.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
11th place team in the AL.

Behind tenth place Yanks by one game, a team currently contemplating their first concerted selloff in decades...

No point to update anymore when they're sub .500 and buried in an even worse position strategically than 2015.

Yeah. The White Sox are not very good. In fact they have often been compared to the SD Padres for all of their failed re-tooling attempts over the last decade. It looks like even they are tired that strategy and are finally going to rebuild. Something we should have kept doing in 2015. It's time for whole sale changes from top-to-bottom. No more delusional wildcard aspirations and being buyers talk. This organization is a mess, it has multiple assets, but needs new leadership at the top to decide what to do with them. We cannot let Hahn/KW continue to run this organization into perpetual mediocrity any longer. As the late Owen Hart used to say, "enough is enough and it's time for a change".

If you hate the Tigers, yesterday was a disaster for them, so that's good.

It's really coming down to 6 teams, for 5 spots...and the Indians are getting one of them. Which brings me back to- there's no point of having five team divisions...and if they ever go to an NFL style 8 divisions of 4 teams, I'm done with baseball.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/view/wi...rd/group/league

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
The White Sox playoffs odds are less then 5%. The playoff drought will continue.

We're not very good that is for sure. But I think we've waited too long and I'd prefer the trades this winter now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:42 AM)
We're not very good that is for sure. But I think we've waited too long and I'd prefer the trades this winter now.

Still 3+ days before the deadline, and there hasn't been many trades yet. I expect a flurry of action over the weekend. I hope the Sox are involved but only if they get what they are asking for. If no one will offer what they want to the likes of Sale or Quintana, they should definitely wait until the off season. I think the same is true for some of the second tier guys: Robertson, Melky, Shields... I would expect a team like the Dodgers may offer a huge package for Sale, but I still wonder if it'll be enough. They've said already they'd include Urias, but the Sox should ask for much more.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
If the Red Sox lose in Anaheim, they will be tied with the Tigers for the second wildcard. Only ahead by a percentage point.

They really really need to f***ing pony up and get a package from us for a SP, OF, and RP

Dumb ass mofos