Jose Reyes

Steve9347

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shack you have a problem with people on this board judging what people spend money on but you are now judging posters for not wanting wifebeaters and cheaters on the team...come on man, you're better than that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Braun has a bad back, bad ethics, and a very large contract.

But he's still a valuable middle of the lineup run producer.

He's always been a bit injury-prone, but nothing too significant.

Get Milwaukee to pay half his salary and get it done.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Well, there's no place for a lot of horrifying s*** women do to men too, but I don't want to send this one to the filibuster, so I'll leave it there.

I simply can NOT argue with you about this point!!!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Shack you have a problem with people on this board judging what people spend money on but you are now judging posters for not wanting wifebeaters and cheaters on the team...come on man, you're better than that.

Oh come on Russ, could you possibly pull together two more bizarre examples into one comparison?

I'm not meaning to judge anyone. I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is to judge these guys' personal lives. Who knows what these guys do off the field. All we know is what they do on the field.

I suppose if you are saying I am judgmental for encouraging others to not be judgmental, then...well I guess you got me there.

Edited by iamshack

Rockies would love to move him. I saw him play a bit last year after the Tulo trade, and he looked like he lost a step. Huge contract, which is yet another tribute to GM's of the world (this case the Mets former GM.

Reyes is still at AAA for rehab, with decent enough stats. Rox have to decide pretty soon what to do with him. Nobody wants him.

Nobody here knows what happened with the assault incident. I doubt it was as severe as the Ray Rice case. Still, Rockies are stuck holding that bag. Even Hahn has the sense to stay away from that quagmire.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Rockies would love to move him. I saw him play a bit last year after the Tulo trade, and he looked like he lost a step. Huge contract, which is yet another tribute to GM's of the world (this case the Mets former GM.

Reyes is still at AAA for rehab, with decent enough stats. Rox have to decide pretty soon what to do with him. Nobody wants him.

Nobody here knows what happened with the assault incident. I doubt it was as severe as the Ray Rice case. Still, Rockies are stuck holding that bag. Even Hahn has the sense to stay away from that quagmire.

He was DFAd today. They were judgmental and decided not to employ someone who beat his wife so bad she had to go to the hospital.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
He was DFAd today. They were judgmental and decided not to employ someone who beat his wife so bad she had to go to the hospital.

I always find it humorous how the bleeding heart folks so often are the first to get snarky with everyone else, completely blind to the hypocrisy.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Oh come on Russ, could you possibly pull together two more bizarre examples into one comparison?

I'm not meaning to judge anyone. I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is to judge these guys' personal lives. Who knows what these guys do off the field. All we know is what they do on the field.

I suppose if you are saying I am judgmental for encouraging others to not be judgmental, then...well I guess you got me there.

No I was saying that your judgment of posters was unfair, and I'll stand by that. I use sports for entertainment, if I so deem that my entertainment shouldn't include athletes who beat women then you shouldn't judge that. To me, it's no longer entertaining when it reaches that level, or it sucks a lot of the joy of the game out of it.

I'm not saying that I haven't cheered for players who have at some point cheated or done something illegal, but if I find out that they did then it absolutely jades me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)

If these guys play for a team you cheer for and want to do well, I don't think judging their personal lives is ridiculous. I'm sure I have been a big fan of some real jerks, but guys like Reyes, and Brett Myers when he was here, they are documented. We do know what they did off the field. Reyes sent his wife to the hospital in an ambulance. Braun cheated, got caught and blamed the collector calling him an anti semite, and a Cubs fan. The guy got death threats. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine. But to give any crap for not ignoring it is silly.

If he still had the ability to play a caliber of baseball, which would enhance this team's chances to improve, this moral debate might be a worthwhile exercise.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Therefore, this entire discussion is a waste of time.

We can hope that Hahn will be able to find a couple of players, who would actually improve the roster. Names like Braun, Jay and Lucroy qualify.

I'm hoping and wishing, but not really expecting anything significant.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I always find it humorous how the bleeding heart folks so often are the first to get snarky with everyone else, completely blind to the hypocrisy.

Shack, I wish I could be as nonjudgmental as you. You are just so above the fray. Please teach us your ways.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Oh who gives a s***? These guys aren't your friends. We are men, who cheer for other men in silly outfits to play a game against other men in silly outfits.

You aren't endorsing their character or their behavior off the field by cheering for them to win a game.

THIS. 100%

I watch for entertainment. Are you giving up Johnny Depp movies? How about countless other stars. Do you really take a stand against this stuff or do you just try to morally justify it by saying the right thing.

If Reyes his .300 and stole bases and hit doubles you'd be clapping along with all the other fans.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
If his ability to play a caliber of baseball, which would enhance this team's chances to improve, this moral debate might be a worthwhile exercise.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Therefore, this entire discussion is a waste of time.

We can hope that Hahn will be able to find a couple of players, who would actually improve the roster. Names like Braun, Jay and Lucroy qualify.

I'm hoping and wishing, but not really expecting anything significant.

Yes, funny enough, Reyes is bad enough on defense now that I'm 90% confident that Anderson could put up better defensive stats than him. Offensively, I'm giving Anderson a lot of leeway, but we aren't talking about a player far past what Rollins or Saladino can already do. He hovered around 700 OPS last year. Now in the AL he's going to get better at his age? No way.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
THIS. 100%

I watch for entertainment. Are you giving up Johnny Depp movies? How about countless other stars. Do you really take a stand against this stuff or do you just try to morally justify it by saying the right thing.

If Reyes his .300 and stole bases and hit doubles you'd be clapping along with all the other fans.

Yes, if an actor was exposed for something terrible then I would avoid them for the most part. Not saying I would 100% boycott as I'm sure there would be things that would entice me to watch something they are in but for the most part I would avoid their work. I don't understand why that's such a crazy position.

It's not a crazy position. It's that people generally like to say things like "my thoughts and prayers" are with someone. Or take a stand against something. But in reality its mostly lip service. I highly doubt any of us would stop watching or supporting the Sox if they got Reyes.

I don't have to like what he did or who he is. But not going to make me not like the deal or how he can help the team.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Yes, if an actor was exposed for something terrible then I would avoid them for the most part. Not saying I would 100% boycott as I'm sure there would be things that would entice me to watch something they are in but for the most part I would avoid their work. I don't understand why that's such a crazy position.

I dunno, I mean I get that we are all human, but when you say you watch sports for entertainment, one would assume that means because the way they play the sport is entertaining to you. Very rarely, if ever, do these character flaws or terrible deeds manifest themselves in any way on the field. Therefore, it doesn't particularly impact the entertainment value in my mind.

In terms of entertainment, I am much more impacted by a player just plain sucking at their sport than if the guy is a dick in his personal life.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Shack, I wish I could be as nonjudgmental as you. You are just so above the fray. Please teach us your ways.

Is there a difference between being opinionated and judgmental? I guess I think there is, but perhaps I am wrong.

But honestly, for a guy that rails at all times against the oppression of others, you certainly can be a snarky jerk to others at the drop of a hat.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Is there a difference between being opinionated and judgmental? I guess I think there is, but perhaps I am wrong.

But honestly, for a guy that rails at all times against the oppression of others, you certainly can be a snarky jerk to others at the drop of a hat.

Snark is the worst oppression of all.