Jose Reyes

Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
I dunno, I mean I get that we are all human, but when you say you watch sports for entertainment, one would assume that means because the way they play the sport is entertaining to you. Very rarely, if ever, do these character flaws or terrible deeds manifest themselves in any way on the field. Therefore, it doesn't particularly impact the entertainment value in my mind.

In terms of entertainment, I am much more impacted by a player just plain sucking at their sport than if the guy is a dick in his personal life.

It's not just the way they play though, if it was then we would never interview the players, never care what charities they are a part of, care what they dress, etc. You may not care about all of this stuff but there's a reason it gets so much publicity, because people do care what they players do outside of the field/court/stadium.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
It's not just the way they play though, if it was then we would never interview the players, never care what charities they are a part of, care what they dress, etc. You may not care about all of this stuff but there's a reason it gets so much publicity, because people do care what they players do outside of the field/court/stadium.

Fair enough, but then isn't considering a player's "on-field" value even more hypocritical then completely ignoring the off-field flaws altogether?

Michael Jordan was said to be a massive jerkoff. John F Kennedy was an all-time womanizer.

People seem to ignore the character flaws when it is convenient for them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Fair enough, but then isn't considering a player's "on-field" value even more hypocritical then completely ignoring the off-field flaws altogether?

Michael Jordan was said to be a massive jerkoff. John F Kennedy was an all-time womanizer.

People seem to ignore the character flaws when it is convenient for them.

Well sure, but that doesn't mean people can't have breaking points. Mine so happen to be domestic violence, rape, murder, etc. Being a jerk is one thing, I probably have a harder time rooting for you/the team if that's the case but 99% of the time doesn't stop me.

When Kendrick Nunn plead guilty to beating a woman I was 100% ready to not watch a single game of Illinois basketball until he was out of the program.

And it doesn't mean that they aren't perfect people or someone who does amazing things, but if you do something to morally wrong like that then yea, it impacts my ability to cheer for them and the organization that supports that behavior.

Saw it tear apart the entire Iowa BB program (and fanbase) with Pierre Pierce and Steve Alford.

It's a fair point of discussion.

The White Sox brought in Wil Cordero, and we all know Albert Belle's history of incidents on and off the field when they brought him on board with one of the biggest contracts in baseball history at the time.

I do think it's a fascinating morals/ethics/value argument about the willingness or tolerance for former PED's players...depending on whether they perform on the field or not. Nobody would support the White Sox any more if the Sox Charities program managed to get 3 of the players nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize but the team's record was 68-94.

On the other side of that is the Christian idea of redemption/forgiveness, and many Americans love those stories where someone legitimately changes and redeems themselves...starting with Saul/Paul in the Bible. The question is what original crimes people are willing to forgive? Rape? Domestic violence? Child abuse (Adrian Peterson)? Pedophilia (Jared from Subway)? Gambling? DUI resulting in the death/s of another person (especially children)? Insider trading? Watching 50 Shades of Grey? Everyone has their own personal limits, where they draw the line. As others have pointed out, I think every president going back to Roosevelt cheated on their wives, with the exceptions of Carter and Bush, Sr. Dangerous to throw stones in glass houses, right? Now, we are in the mode of going back and judging past actions by the lens of today (Lincoln wasn't a great emancipator, he actually wanted to send the slaves to Liberia to avoid conflict...Woodrow Wilson was a racist...all former Confederate leaders tied to the KKK must be wiped out of history and even their military victories/strategies ignored). Where does it all end? Can we not use context anymore?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
He was DFAd today. They were judgmental and decided not to employ someone who beat his wife so bad she had to go to the hospital.

Bmags, you don't know that. I don't know that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Well sure, but that doesn't mean people can't have breaking points. Mine so happen to be domestic violence, rape, murder, etc. Being a jerk is one thing, I probably have a harder time rooting for you/the team if that's the case but 99% of the time doesn't stop me.

When Kendrick Nunn plead guilty to beating a woman I was 100% ready to not watch a single game of Illinois basketball until he was out of the program.

And it doesn't mean that they aren't perfect people or someone who does amazing things, but if you do something to morally wrong like that then yea, it impacts my ability to cheer for them and the organization that supports that behavior.

amen to that...exactly how i feel

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)

lol oh my... "This guy made a poor life choice, im not watching grown men play a game until hes gone"

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)

We know enough, this isn't a court of law, we don't need evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt to draw conclusions. A preponderance of evidence works just fine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
He was DFAd today. They were judgmental and decided not to employ someone who beat his wife so bad she had to go to the hospital.

False. They have Trevor Story. That begins and ends their reasoning.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
lol oh my... "This guy made a poor life choice, im not watching grown men play a game until hes gone"

"poor life choice" = eating too much junk food, not exercising, etc.

Domestic violence is a vastly different issue.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:50 PM)
"poor life choice" = eating too much junk food, not exercising, etc.

Domestic violence is a vastly different issue.

Ok, so then replace it with bad decision. Its still the same thing I said above. And what you outlined there I would consider more "life style". I think its safe to assume alcohol was involved here, and he made a stupid decision that hes gonna have to be labeled with the rest of his life. So what? Im not the one who made that choice or has to deal with it. I just wanna see the White Sox win games. Im a fan of the name on the front of the jersey first and foremost. I dont care about what some jackass does in his personal life.

Edited by TRU

He does not appear to be good anymore. We don't need to debate the personal issues. They need to get a real impact bat anyways. I'm sick of taking all these flyers on washed up or never was anything players. Do whatever it takes to get Jay Bruce short of Anderson.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)

Actually we do.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/09/jose-reyes-a...estic-violence/

The incident went down on Halloween, according to cops in Maui, but is just now coming out. Reyes and his wife Katherine were staying at the Four Seasons Wailea ... when he allegedly grabbed her by the throat and shoved her into a sliding glass door.

Security at the resort called police, who took Reyes -- a former Mets, Marlins, and Blue Jays player -- into custody. KHNL in Honolulu first reported the arrest, and says Reyes and his wife were heard arguing before things got physical.

Katherine was taken to a hospital to treat injuries to her thigh, neck and wrist. Reyes was released on bail.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
False. They have Trevor Story. That begins and ends their reasoning.

I don't think they ever wanted him anyway, I assumed that was a bit of price matching on the Rockies part while taking a flyer on him. He's been bad for a while now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
Not really fans in general, but a very small group of fans.

Yeah, my post was a bit generalized. It is a small group of fans.

For SS, I'll take Anderson/Saladino over Reyes any time. As for DH, Reyes does not have enough power for that spot in the order and the Sox are lacking power from the DH as it is. Reyes makes no sense for the Sox, period.