White Sox will not win until their players produce

VAfan

In fairness, we probably win the division going away if it weren't for Quentin's anger.

In the end, yeah, we were super fortunate with the coin flip (Hahn's son), winning those three games and having the game at USCF. That was the ONLY time in recent White Sox history we actually beat the Twins. Since that season, we haven't had much of a home field advantage or the ability to beat the Royals, Indians or Tigers with any degree of consistency at all.

That said, we still see the same lack of maturity hurting the Sox to this day, with Sale/Rodon hitting themselves on the head with the ball or wondering why a 91-93 MPH grooved fastball is deposited in the seats when both have the ability to consistently throw fastballs in the mid to upper 90's. Then, after giving up a homer, they'll start throwing a series of "angry" pitches.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
While that's correct, if it were just a matter of good players living up to their ability, we wouldn't need managers/coaches.

I think you realize how important management is when you hit a bump like we did in Texas, from which we never recovered--apparently.

I'm totally on board with the need for players to produce but our management issues are so deep-rooted and in such decomposition at this point that I can't even begin to address the players on the field.

Somebody mentioned the last time we made the playoffs being 2008. While technically correct, we basically stumbled into that appearance (after the admittedly awesome Blackout Game) and then got smoked first round, predictably.

I don't think player performance is all on the manager or coaches. If it was, then those guys are SERIOUSLY underpaid.

No, I think the players have to perform up to expectations for a team to have a good season. And the White Sox have been loaded with underperformers.

But you really have to wonder if blowing it up and replacing these players will help anything, or will it just bring in a new group of guys to underperform. Same would be true regarding adding anyone this year in hopes of improving.

I think the Shields fiasco could be the straw that broke the camel's back here. Unless the team can somehow show he's injured and get some kind of insurance settlement, that move has sapped most of the spending money that might be used to help the club.

Plus, you'd still have the underperformance issue.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to change the club unless the players started taking ownership of their own wins and losses.

You can always fire Robin Ventura, but I'm not sure that move would accomplish anything.