Rick Hahn

FT35

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Just me if not anyone I missed...maybe the Padres interest centered solely around Tatis...who knows. But the trade was a textbook salary dump--summarized by the GM's PUBLIC comments about Shields after his last start. They wanted him on the NEXT train out of town and so while it was a GREAT time to buy, we came to him with $27 Million a young, LH MLB-ready starter, AND Tatis. The guys who called this move out were claiming the inclusion of Tatis to be unnecessary because the salary DUMP was already achieved without trading him away.

The original trade talk I saw centered around the Sox being asked for Tim Anderson. Now I am not going to claim to know how the discussion went, nor will I claim to know what other teams were willing to offer, but $10 million a year for what Shields can do on the mound is dirt cheap. Compare that to what other free agent starters got this off season.

When people claim that the inclusion of Tatis was "unnecessary", seem to have some sort of difinitive proof of both what other offers were on the table, and what else that San Diego had been asking for to make the conclusion that Tatis was not needed to get a deal done.

Finally let's be honest. Tatis was a guy who wasn't in the Top 30 coming out of Latin America, and he wasn't in the White Sox top 30 prospects in a system that at best has been top heavy with quick movers, in a system that lacks depth. Tatis wasn't even the Sox top signing in the season coming out of Latin America. Tatis is somewhere around a half of a decade, at best, away from having a chance at being a major league baseball player. If you have to give up a guy with those credentials to get a major league starting pitcher, I think most teams make that deal.

So while Tatis's value has gone up with Sox fans simply because he got traded, let's not exaggerate who we gave up either. He is a long term lottery ticket, who has a lot of value in his family name.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Preller made his name with the Rangers in Latin America.

No guarantees that Tatis Jr. will actually make it, but that's one area he excels in (as opposed to wholesale rebuilding on the fly ala Hahn).

He also has made quite the impression in SD

And if Hahn is an idiot for paying Shields &27 million, what is Preller?

http://grantland.com/features/aj-preller-m...al-league-west/

Edited by Dick Allen

As noted, I didn't say that he "saved" the Padres, he might have done the opposite.

The Shields' deal looks brilliant right now (not for Johnson, saving $27 million...that said, he also "wasted" $29 million too).

He was the main guy behind the Rangers' efforts in L.America: Mazara/Odor/Profar/Chirinos/Chi Chi Gonzalez/Perez/Ramos/Mendez, etc.

I was never a fan of the inclusion of Tatis either, especially considering that the Sox are dealing with AJ Preller. I think the Sox should have held firm at Erik Johnson because you shouldn't have to give up a prospect when you're trading for a players whose owner wants him out of town and destroying all trade value.

LOL.

But he negotiated deals for Eaton/Q/Sale.

Jose Abreu (which isn't the huge win it was in 2014/15, not for someone who gets all of his value from hitting).

Trade for Eaton.

That's pretty much it over almost 4 years in charge. (Some will argue we can trade Frazier/Robertson/Cabrera, but the returns won't be as overwhelming as most are hoping.)

Everything else, bad to abysmal. (Was laughing at Bonifacio hitting .154 and playing OF for the Braves against Kluber tonight).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
The original trade talk I saw centered around the Sox being asked for Tim Anderson. Now I am not going to claim to know how the discussion went, nor will I claim to know what other teams were willing to offer, but $10 million a year for what Shields can do on the mound is dirt cheap. Compare that to what other free agent starters got this off season.

When people claim that the inclusion of Tatis was "unnecessary", seem to have some sort of difinitive proof of both what other offers were on the table, and what else that San Diego had been asking for to make the conclusion that Tatis was not needed to get a deal done.

Finally let's be honest. Tatis was a guy who wasn't in the Top 30 coming out of Latin America, and he wasn't in the White Sox top 30 prospects in a system that at best has been top heavy with quick movers, in a system that lacks depth. Tatis wasn't even the Sox top signing in the season coming out of Latin America. Tatis is somewhere around a half of a decade, at best, away from having a chance at being a major league baseball player. If you have to give up a guy with those credentials to get a major league starting pitcher, I think most teams make that deal.

So while Tatis's value has gone up with Sox fans simply because he got traded, let's not exaggerate who we gave up either. He is a long term lottery ticket, who has a lot of value in his family name.

Once again, Southsider, you are wrong. Argumentative, as usual, but still wrong.

You talk about Anderson, implying how astute Hahn was not to trade Tim Anderson? Give me a break. Preller's negotiating ploy was to drop Anderson's name, knowing it will be quickly refused. Then he goes down the food chain and comes up with Tatis, and Hahn started rubbing Preller's leg.

Shields is not dirt cheap. Nice metaphor. No one else was trying to trade for the innings eater. At any price.

And you think because Tatis was not in Sox Top 30 list, he is automatically expendable for Shields? Using your words, Let's be honest. He is 17, just signed 2-4 months ago, and never played stateside at time of this horrible trade. How could he possibly be in Top 30? Preller is chirping in San Diego

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Hahn hasn't done anything to deserve to keep his job honestly.

Nobody is this organization has done anything to keep their jobs. Whether it be management, coaching, player development, or scouting, this club is behind in almost every category.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
Nobody is this organization has done anything to keep their jobs. Whether it be management, coaching, player development, or scouting, this club is behind in almost every category.

Agreed. I just realize the whole thing won't be blown up.

Sure was fun on MLB the show lol. Traded sale and quintana and now have an outfield of Jackie Bradley Jr, Joc Pederson and Adam Eaton. This'll be good lol

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
Preller or someone with his staff he brought over from the Rangers definitely was in on Tatis Jr. before that trade was consummated.

"A guy we have seen on the international market. Good feel for the game, bigger body player at SS." - A.J. Preller on Fernando Tatis Jr.

Of course...Preller's an international guru and Rick Hahn, well, is not (to say the least). And they convinced Rick Hahn to throw him in, when this should have been an Erik Johnson salary dump considering how awful Shields had pitched. Maybe Rick's one big bonus this year will come up aces.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
I hope you got a lot more back than Bradley, Jr., and Pederson.

That would make our starting rotation:

Rodon

Shields

Gonzalez

Turner/Beck/Danish

Fulmer/Adams/J.Stephens

Alex Hansen

Oh I did. Moncada, Benintendi from Boston for Q. Dodgers I also got Lee and De Leon. You can only do three player deals. I would've gotten even more if I could do more than 3 in a return.

My rotation is ass for now and my pen as well because I added Nate and Robertson into those deals.

Still can trade Abreu, Frazier, and Melky if I so chose. I'm also playing last years game so the prospects aren't updated fully.

At least I'll be able to have a solid offense now lol.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)

So you think SD was thinking Anderson early and Hahn talked him down to Tatis? It could be, but I would be more likely to buy that if Tatis was a SS. You never know though, it's early enough in his career, it's common for guys to switch positions when they are that young. In all honesty, we can all speculate all we want, we don't really know what all goes into getting a deal done. Still I believe the original posters who were making the point were believing the single A player could have been anyone and they would have been unnecessary since SD was looking to just dump Shields and we already agreed to a MLB ready SP prospect and $27M. This is probably how they speculated the deal to do down:

"Oh you want Shields?, Great, he's yours if you pay him part of his remaining $"

"27 Million for 2 years, great he's yours"

"Oh and you're going to give up a young MLB ready starter too? GREAT! He's yours, thanks for your business."

"And Tatis? OK Great! He's yours!!! *Aside* Donnie, have Genie get Mr. Hahn set up on a points program on his way out for being such a VIP customer..."

Posters are saying he could have probably stopped at #2...and CERTAINLY #3...but #4 too!? Good. Ness.

Rick Hahn paying James Shields $27 million for 2 1/2 seasons...total dope

AJ Preller pays James Shields $46 million for 1 1/2 seasons and trades him for Eric Johnson and a 17 year old Rick Hahn signed....crafty GM.

Why didn't Preller just sign Tatis in the first place ?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
Once again, Southsider, you are wrong. Argumentative, as usual, but still wrong.

You talk about Anderson, implying how astute Hahn was not to trade Tim Anderson? Give me a break. Preller's negotiating ploy was to drop Anderson's name, knowing it will be quickly refused. Then he goes down the food chain and comes up with Tatis, and Hahn started rubbing Preller's leg.

Shields is not dirt cheap. Nice metaphor. No one else was trying to trade for the innings eater. At any price.

And you think because Tatis was not in Sox Top 30 list, he is automatically expendable for Shields? Using your words, Let's be honest. He is 17, just signed 2-4 months ago, and never played stateside at time of this horrible trade. How could he possibly be in Top 30? Preller is chirping in San Diego

Its amazing how much insider information you have on this deal. You say that no one else was trying to trade for him yet media reports have the red sox, orioles, tigers and dodgers all in talks with the padres.

He is dirt cheap at 9 million not at 18 but the padres are paying roughly half to not pitch for them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)

If Hahn had included Anderson in a trade for the 34 year old rapidly declining Shields, Hahn should have been put into an asylum.

From what I've seen, Shields can't do much on the mound anymore... Hahn is apparently looking at what he once did in the past and wishcasting that Cooper "saw something he can fix".

The free agent comp should be someone like Latos, not Kennedy or Zimmerman.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
If Hahn had included Anderson in a trade for the 34 year old rapidly declining Shields, Hahn should have been put into an asylum.

From what I've seen, Shields can't do much on the mound anymore... Hahn is apparently looking at what he once did in the past and wishcasting that Cooper "saw something he can fix".

The free agent comp should be someone like Latos, not Kennedy or Zimmerman.

Zimmerman is contract is for 110 million and Kennedy s is for 70. The 27 for Shields puts him in different risk-reward category.

Tim Anderson was never discussed for James Shields. I mean I'm sure the Padres asked but GTFOH. Barstool Dave DM'ed me the trade details a week prior to it actually happening on twitter. Erik Johnson and Fernando Tatis were the names I heard from the inception.