DC Films

Boopa1219

Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons were great. Gal Gadot was good.

Otherwise that might have been the worst film I've ever spent money at the theater on. Holy hell. It just tried too hard in every way. Give Nolan any amount of money to helm the DCEU.

In other DC Film news, still amped for Suicide Squad and the Lego Batman trailer was great.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)

Otherwise that might have been the worst film I've ever spent money at the theater on. Holy hell. It just tried too hard in every way. Give Nolan any amount of money to helm the DCEU.

In other DC Film news, still amped for Suicide Squad and the Lego Batman trailer was great.

Couldn't disagree more. I'd give it a 7.5-8 of 10. Wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I really liked it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
Couldn't disagree more. I'd give it a 7.5-8 of 10. Wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I really liked it.

Yeah, I obviously went in with low expectations due to reviews, but also my theater might as well have been a morgue.

There were the makings of a great film in there, but it died in the editing room.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)

I don't think Gal Gadot was very good imo. I think she was serviceable but I worry about her being a lead role Wonder Woman. I like her appearance but she had like 15 lines and I thought they were pretty monotone. .....wow am I becoming pathetic looking at dumb things haha.

I honestly think people are just piling on this movie now because it's become the thing to do, and then pointing to critics to justify their preconceived opinion.

These same critics loved Age of Ultron, and that was an utter disappointment.

I can see not loving BvS, I can even see calling it average...but I outright disagree that it was bad.

I personally loved it, and I was only expecting to like it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
I honestly think people are just piling on this movie now because it's become the thing to do, and then pointing to critics to justify their preconceived opinion.

I can see not loving BvS, I can even see calling it average...but I outright disagree that it was bad.

Yep, no one can have their own opinions and everyone hates it because everyone is taught to like Marvel and this is too dark. Everyone has biased opinions but yours are completely untainted.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
Yep, no one can have their own opinions and everyone hates it because everyone is taught to like Marvel and this is too dark. Everyone has biased opinions but yours are completely untainted.

Marvel and DC movies are so much different from each other, I don't even like the compare them. I get tired of the constant "who's side are you on" question. I'm pretty sure both probably want the other to be successful. If each company starts putting out bad movies, the Superhero phase will die out, which it will eventually do anyway sometime in the future. But until then, if both companies make great movies, the competition will only help both franchises financially.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)

Age of Ultron was extremely disappointing. Yet somehow had a more coherent plot and character than this film.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
Marvel and DC movies are so much different from each other, I don't even like the compare them. I get tired of the constant "who's side are you on" question. I'm pretty sure both probably want the other to be successful. If each company starts putting out bad movies, the Superhero phase will die out, which it will eventually do anyway sometime in the future. But until then, if both companies make great movies, the competition will only help both franchises financially.

This. Only superhero film I wanted to fail was Fant4stic. If Civil War and Suicide Squad aren't home runs, my guess is BvS would be the beginning of the end.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)

Seems like you didn't even read the post you replied too.

You are absolutely free to have an opinion on it, and I'm free to disagree. See how that worked? It's crazy...like magical even.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)

I think most of that's just done in fun. We have to remember what these movies are, and it's pretty much pure popcorn entertainment. I think people trying to apply any sort of logic to these movies is silly.

Here's my take as someone who has seen all of these films.

I actually watched the first 1 1/2 hours of this movie, had to leave and wasn't upset or concerned to know about how it ended.

Dark doesn't mean the whole film has to be shot in the shadows...or feel like Watchmen. I don't know where this whole trend started, whether it was Heath Ledger's Joker, Bale as Batman or some would attribute it to Jason Bourne influencing the Bond series, but the whole film just felt "heavy" and, if not contrived, lacking in cohesion plot-wise.

Snyder's like Michael Bay, great at the big explosions and action scenes, but not a master storyteller like a Nolan.

Ben Affleck felt like he just a big old/wizened to face off with the younger Cavill. He was fine...though.

To me, Superman has always been a fairly bland character, and just not as compelling. Maybe it's from growing up with the Christopher Reave version in the 1980's...heck, even Lois and Clark or Smallville were better than the films, especially the Brandon Roush one. Cavill is handsome and earnest and blah blah blah...everything but interesting to watch, and that also makes Amy Adams somehow a bit boring as well.

Gal Gadot rocked the Fast & the Furious movies (two of them) but maybe I'm missing something in the last hour, because she just doesn't quite fit here either. Maybe it's the same problem, growing up with Lynda Carter in that role, the idea Wonder Woman should be more like Megan Fox from a decade ago or Agent Carter...it's not her European accent, just something "off" which I can't quite put a finger on.

Then you have Eisenberg running around overacting. About the only light touch was Fishburne, and even that's a pale comparison to the banter between JK Simmons and Tobey Maguire.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good, either. Jeremy Irons was one of the few things that worked well, in a more sarcastic take on the character.

The weird part was feeling like the "discrimination" against Superman would have worked better in a current Donald Trump anti-immigration ad than as a movie premise. And perhaps fans of his would appreciate the Superman "distrust" angle more, I don't know. Just felt too cliched.

(Note: This is where someone who has read all the original material will argue this is true to the comic version.)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2016 -> 11:17 PM)
As a long-time Batman and Superman fan, and a fan of film, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that was the worst movie I've ever seen.

More opinion tomorrow. Worse than I could have imagined.

Now you've done it, haha.

Snyder does make an easier target than most directors. It's going to take more than arguing box office to support this one, since The Amazing Spider-Man II also put up decent numbers, or Green Lantern, for that matter.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 12:17 AM)
As a long-time Batman and Superman fan, and a fan of film, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that was the worst movie I've ever seen.

More opinion tomorrow. Worse than I could have imagined.

What took you so long? Been waiting for this. You didn't disappoint me. Bravo.

If you're in this thread not expecting spoilers... I'm on my phone so you've been warned.

I don't know where to start.

Batman kills people relentlessly now. Neat. Kryptonite is more widely available than salt. Apparently we are just burning through the death of superman to burn through the return. This in itself could have been an entire franchise of films. They f***ing destroyed the Doomsday storyline.

Why was Wonderwoman in this movie? Suddenly she appears! Somehow Bruce Wayne knows.

Batman was prepared to straight up kill Superman but you know they both have Moms so he can't do it.

I've never seen a movie jump around so out of control. The storylines were all over the place. How could this pile of s*** follow Nolan's Batman universe? Batman's just cruising around in his Batmobile murdering people with guns left and right. Bob Kane is rolling over in his grave.

Hey look! Lois is in trouble! Hey look! Superman is temporarily weakened by Kryptonite but he's back and now he's weak and now he's back! What the f***!

The dream sequence where Batman is in a trench coat blowing people away with automatic weapons!

Lex Luthor! WTF! I cannot express how terrible Eisenberg was in this movie.

Batman can simply go save Martha Kent but Superman can't? Superman is at the mercy of Lex because of this?

Again, what on Earth was the Doomsday s***?

I really wanted to walk out on this one, but my wife was sleeping soundly next to me so I stuck it out. I've seen better storytelling and production value on YouTube.

Why does Snyder keep making money? I guarantee I could have written a better script, by the way.

I stand by my stance. This is the worst movie I've ever seen. Don't waste your money and more importantly your time. f*** this movie and f*** everyone involved in making it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Mojo says it will make about 170 million. Short of projected 200 obviously but will see the following weeks.

The following weeks are where the reviews will hurt. I hated the last one in this series, but might have been open to it on weekend 2 if everyone was saying "This is great!".

$424 million dollars this weekend. Making it the highest grossing comic book movie of all time. Seems like critics and sox talk hate the movie but the world still went to go watch. Next few weeks like Balta said the numbers will more than likely drop due to bad reception.

It's not a movie for everyone, but watching the trinity on screen together is/was amazing.

Bring on suicide squad baby!!! Let's see how a non synder movie is made. I love David Ayers work.

Edited by bshah723

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
$424 million dollars this weekend. Making it the highest grossing comic book movie of all time. Seems like critics and sox talk hate the movie but the world still went to go watch. Next few weeks like Balta said the numbers will more than likely drop due to bad reception.

It's not a movie for everyone, but watching the trinity on screen together is/was amazing.

Bring on suicide squad baby!!! Let's see how a non synder movie is made. I love David Ayers work.

Maybe highest grossing opening weekend? But even that I have to question, I know domestically they came in 4th all time

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Maybe highest grossing opening weekend? But even that I have to question, I know domestically they came in 4th all time

I think that is accurate (as to highest grossing opening weekend worldwide) but it is also meaningless since Avengers, Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 all opened up in most markets prior to opening up in the USA.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

There was never any doubt that it would make bank opening weekend.