DC Films

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
For real. If you took the first four episodes of Daredevil Season 2 and edited them into a film, it'd be dark, gritty and really f***ing good.

Because of their placement on Netflix, those shows aren't considered a part of the MCU when they are by GA members.

I view the Netflix stuff as the MCU's Marvel Knights, if you don't know that was a branch of comics that were more mature and adult. Daredevil, Punisher and Jessica Jones were part of the MK branch and those comics were always forgiven for not being tonally similar to the rest of the Marvel universe.

DC has books that were very light compared to everything else too.

If Marvel released a DD film as dark as the show, it would bother and confuse people.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Because of their placement on Netflix, those shows aren't considered a part of the MCU when they are by GA members.

I view the Netflix stuff as the MCU's Marvel Knights, if you don't know that was a branch of comics that were more mature and adult. Daredevil, Punisher and Jessica Jones were part of the MK branch and those comics were always forgiven for not being tonally similar to the rest of the Marvel universe.

DC has books that were very light compared to everything else too.

If Marvel released a DD film as dark as the show, it would bother and confuse people.

Sematnics, but JJ's Alias wasn't part of Marvel Knights. It was part of Marvel's MAX imprint, which was even more mature and adult than Knights.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Nobody cares if these movies are lighthearted or dark it's just if they're good or bad. For the most part Marvel movies have been good and DC not so much, not much else to it.

It's a matter of what people have become used to. People are used to the Marvel tone and formula, it has conditioned them. After BvS ended, at least 30 people stayed after the credits waiting for a post credits scene, when DC has repeatedly said they won't do that in their films. The Marvel films have conditioned them to do that. People are used to going to the theater to watch a CBM and having the Marvel experience. They've been releasing at least two movies a year since 2008 and have dominated the market with their films.

And let's not act like DC hasn't had good movies. Superman 1+2, Batman, Batman Returns and Forever, The Dark Knight Trilogy. They had good movies. Yes they had missed but Marvel has had some too. Let's not forget that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Sematnics, but JJ's Alias wasn't part of Marvel Knights. It was part of Marvel's MAX imprint, which was even more mature and adult than Knights.

That's not JJ's Alias.

The Max imprint was used mostly for one off stories. Jessica Jones/Alias was the only mainstay and she wasn't considered to be part of the larger Marvel universe by most people. My point still stands that because she was under the MAX branch, Alias' mature tone was forgiven.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
It's a matter of what people have become used to. People are used to the Marvel tone and formula, it has conditioned them. After BvS ended, at least 30 people stayed after the credits waiting for a post credits scene, when DC has repeatedly said they won't do that in their films. The Marvel films have conditioned them to do that. People are used to going to the theater to watch a CBM and having the Marvel experience. They've been releasing at least two movies a year since 2008 and have dominated the market with their films.

And let's not act like DC hasn't had good movies. Superman 1+2, Batman, Batman Returns and Forever, The Dark Knight Trilogy. They had good movies. Yes they had missed but Marvel has had some too. Let's not forget that.

So all these movie critics who are paid for this stuff are just conditioned to not like these movies? Amazing how the Marvel stuff was able to get around that after Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy conditioned everyone to want the darker movies.

I also don't think anyone has ever said DC hasn't had good movies or that all of Marvel's stuff has been perfect but the way you defend some of the recent DC stuff is just bizarre.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Let's remember that RT is not the film's grade but the percentage of people who would recommend it others. The closest thing to the film's grade would be the CinemaScore which is a survey of audience members.

I'm not really sure that CinemaScore is a true film grade of anything when I look at their recent reviews and Gods of Egypt has a B-, London has Fallen an A-, and the Revenant a B+. Seems kind of off to me

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
That's not JJ's Alias.

The Max imprint was used mostly for one off stories. Jessica Jones/Alias was the only mainstay and she wasn't considered to be part of the larger Marvel universe by most people. My point still stands that because she was under the MAX branch, Alias' mature tone was forgiven.

Right, like I said, it was semantics.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
So all these movie critics who are paid for this stuff are just conditioned to not like these movies? Amazing how the Marvel stuff was able to get around that after Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy conditioned everyone to want the darker movies.

I also don't think anyone has ever said DC hasn't had good movies or that all of Marvel's stuff has been perfect but the way you defend some of the recent DC stuff is just bizarre.

I'm not saying they're conditioned not to like them, I'm saying thats it's not what they're used to and comparing one to the other does no good and if you go to a DC flick expecting the Marvel experience (and vice versa) then of course you're going to dislike it.

I defend it because I like it, what's bizzare about that?

Anyway the first audience score is out and it's at 85%. There are more select screenings tonight (There's one in Vernon Hills, if you're interested and live near the area), so that will change by the end of the night.

I do have problems with the current state of film criticism, it's seem like ever since Roger Ebert died people stopped judging movies for what they're and started judging them on what they're not. Coming from someone who puts zero stock in it. But that's for another thread.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I'm not really sure that CinemaScore is a true film grade of anything when I look at their recent reviews and Gods of Egypt has a B-, London has Fallen an A-, and the Revenant a B+. Seems kind of off to me

You and I may disagree with some of the grades (the fact that London Has Fallen has an A- is mind boggling) but it reflects the opinion of the people who saw the movie. Studios use it to find out what the GA thinks of their movies. Box Office speculators use it to figure out the legs of the movie at the box office. It's something that I've been getting into and it's pretty complicated.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)

He defends or hypes everything Warner Bros related basically.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
He defends or hypes everything Warner Bros related basically.

I will admit that that's who I have more access to and where I want to be want to be stationed at but I don't like everything they do, I hate what's going on at HBO for example and they had a lot of bad movies last year.

I do like both DC and Marvel comics, characters and films. I'm not blind by fan loyalty or fanboy rage. Again, I had problems with the movie and it could've done some things better but it's still a good movie (8.5/10) and deserves a fair shot. See it for yourselves and let me know what you think. It's hard talking about a movie that not everyone has seen. I had no intention of this turning into a flame war and I respect everyone's opinion here but what I'm getting at mostly is giving it a fair shot.

Batman vs Superman currently sits at 33% at rotten tomatoes, and this of course can change after the official release at midnight but I highly doubt it moves up dramatically. Articles are starting to come out questioning if negative reviews will affect the Box office..

One thing I dont doubt is that the movie will make money based on the property alone, but I don't think it is going to break the previous benchmarks from Jurassic World and Age of Ultron as predicted

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
Batman vs Superman currently sits at 33% at rotten tomatoes, and this of course can change after the official release at midnight but I highly doubt it moves up dramatically. Articles are starting to come out questioning if negative reviews will affect the Box office..

One thing I dont doubt is that the movie will make money based on the property alone, but I don't think it is going to break the previous benchmarks from Jurassic World and Age of Ultron as predicted

“I feel like he’s right. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman,” Snyder said while promoting Doritos’ final Super Bowl filmmaking contest. “They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man — not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?”

Yeah, I didn't expect this film to get hammered this bad.

BvS needed a winner here, especially with Civil War looming.

I can only imagine the s*** show this would have been had DC not budged on that shared release date they had.

Saw Batman v. Superman tonight. I was worried after reading some of the critic's reviews. After seeing it, I can understand their views, but it didn't stop me from liking it.

Not really spoilers but I'll black out my comments anyway.

Although Snyder tried to put too many side stories inside the movie. But I really liked the ballsy move they did towards the end of the movie. Definitely wasn't expecting it.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
No thanks. Snyder is an atrocious director and this movie looks like garbage. I have zero interest.

This.

My favorite hero ever and I won't bother. Looks like trash, sounds like it is trash.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)
This.

My favorite hero ever and I won't bother. Looks like trash, sounds like it is trash.

I've decided to go see it this morning. I'll regret it but feel like if I'm going to be so critical, I should at least see it. Like not voting but complaining about politics.

Plus I have gift cards to use before I move in 2 weeks.