DC Films

Boopa1219

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
The last SS was awesome enough. Why another? To separate it from BvS?

It time to ramp up marketing, the movie is out in less than 4 months and it's been three months (I think) since the last trailer.

well i finally relented and saw the bat v superman.

to tell you the truth, i like it. Ben Affleck as the bat, well he did a good job. i like the new alfred was better.

the story was very good.

well i think i am sold for the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

Willem Dafoe was cast as a good guy in Justice League. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-visi...em-dafoe-880889

The Flash movie has begun casting the roles of Iris West, Eobard Thawne and Captain Cold. http://heroichollywood.com/5-characters-ac...ing-flash-film/

Here is an interview with JK Simmons talking about playing Gordon in JL and the Batman films.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)

I should be completely shocked if Wan leaves Aquaman, since he casted Amber Heard and at CinemaCon said he's in a good place with the script and was reportedly at the JL set.

http://www.thewrap.com/the-flash-movie-los...ve-differences/

The Wrap is reporting that WB just wants a more experienced director. This was probably a mutual decision between WB and Seth Grahame-Smith, he probably realized that he was in over his head since the only thing he's directed was a couple episodes of his TV show 7 years ago. The Wrap also said that WB is keeping his script in tact, so they are in love with his take on the material.

I always wanted either Rian Johnson or Edgar Wright to direct the Flash movie.

By the time the Flash starts filming, Johnson will be in the final stages of post on EP. 8 or completely done, so that eliminates him because he would probably want a break.

Edgar Wright would be available but he could be apprehensive about taking over someone else's film after what happened to him on Ant Man.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
I doubt Edgar Wright wants this, because he didn't like that Ant-Man had to tie into the MCU. Right now it feels like the DCEU is going to be even more interconnected.

It almost feels like the DC Universe is a ship going down and the directors are scrambling like rats.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I doubt Edgar Wright wants this, because he didn't like that Ant-Man had to tie into the MCU. Right now it feels like the DCEU is going to be even more interconnected.

Edgar Wright knew about the shared universe, he was actually the first director in the MCU back in 2004 and is one it's original architects.

Edgar Wright did not like how Marvel would not let him be Edgar Wright. He wanted to make an Edgar Wright film and Marvel wanted a Marvel movie.

Marvel isn't known for letting their directors fully express themselves, it's like they have a sign on the door that says, 'No Auteurs.' That's why they like young, journeymen filmmakers.

WB is the exact opposite. Man of Steel feels and looks like a collab between Nolan and Snyder. BvS feels and looks like a Zack Snyder movie. Suicide Squad is 100% David Ayer.

Marvel is very producer driver and DC is all about the filmmaker. No one approach is better than the other, but it makes sense why a guy like Edgar Wright would leave Ant Man.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 1, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
Edgar Wright knew about the shared universe, he was actually the first director in the MCU back in 2004 and is one it's original architects.

Edgar Wright did not like how Marvel would not let him be Edgar Wright. He wanted to make an Edgar Wright film and Marvel wanted a Marvel movie.

Marvel isn't known for letting their directors fully express themselves, it's like they have a sign on the door that says, 'No Auteurs.' That's why they like young, journeymen filmmakers.

WB is the exact opposite. Man of Steel feels and looks like a collab between Nolan and Snyder. BvS feels and looks like a Zack Snyder movie. Suicide Squad is 100% David Ayer.

Marvel is very producer driver and DC is all about the filmmaker. No one approach is better than the other, but it makes sense why a guy like Edgar Wright would leave Ant Man.

I know Edgar Wright was the first one to come along, it's why Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne weren't in the Avengers.

The problem is they wanted it to have certain things connecting it to the overall MCU that he didn't want to include.

Branagh got to make his Shakesperean Thor, Favreau got to make Iron Man, Johnston got to make his serial film, Russos got to make their spy thriller, Shane Black got to make the exact same film with a new coat of paint like he usually does, etc.

The only ones that got heavy interference were Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2.

Meanwhile we just had the second filmmaker leave DCEU for creative differences. The thing is Marvel has someone running their show, while Snyder was given free reign to establish the tone of the entire DCEU with his film and serve as the de facto Feige.

Edit: Forgot. James Gunn made the most James Gunn-ian film possible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
In other news, good thing Wan is sticking around.

Too bad it's not a horror movie. Cant wait for melodrama with some decent action scenes.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 1, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)

Auteur doesnt mean "Good". Marvel has had plenty of directors do their own things with their movies, with their "restriction" being that they have to keep it within that connected universe.

Edgar Wright is a quirky director who has his own style and it clashed with Marvels view of the character. This was disappointing but hardly an indictment when you look at how Ant Man performed considering all of the bad press that it generated because of Wrights departure. I highly doubt Wright would want to conform and compromise his movie visions under the Auteur known as Zack Snyder, since the guy laid out the entire DCEU already.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
I know Edgar Wright was the first one to come along, it's why Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne weren't in the Avengers.

The problem is they wanted it to have certain things connecting it to the overall MCU that he didn't want to include.

Branagh got to make his Shakesperean Thor, Favreau got to make Iron Man, Johnston got to make his serial film, Russos got to make their spy thriller, Shane Black got to make the exact same film with a new coat of paint like he usually does, etc.

The only ones that got heavy interference were Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2.

Edit: Forgot. James Gunn made the most James Gunn-ian film possible.

Creative Difference is just a blanket term used whenever a creative leaves a project. It's used so much, that it rarely means Creative Differences. Again, in all likelihood Seth Grahame Smith decision had to be mutual. He probably realized he was in over his head as a first time director and that's why he departed the Flash. WB doesn't hire him in the first place, if they don't think he could do the job. And if there are creative differences, then they would not be keeping his script in tact.

To me the only Marvel films that you can feel the director's style are Guardians, the first Captain America film and maybe the Avengers films. I couldn't tell you what a John Favreau movie is, or what a Brothers Russo film is to save my life. I do agree with you on Iron Man 3, despite really hating that movie.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
Meanwhile we just had the second filmmaker leave DCEU for creative differences. The thing is Marvel has someone running their show, while Snyder was given free reign to establish the tone of the entire DCEU with his film and serve as the de facto Feige.

I am glad that Michelle Maclarene left Wonder Woman, Variety said that her film was too focused on action rather than character and it had a talking tiger.

DC has their Braintrust and it's made of Zack and Debbie Snyder, Charles Roven, and Christopher Nolan who advises on everything. Here is a clip of Charles Roven explaining how it and how it is filmmaker friendly:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Auteur doesnt mean "Good". Marvel has had plenty of directors do their own things with their movies, with their "restriction" being that they have to keep it within that connected universe.

Edgar Wright is a quirky director who has his own style and it clashed with Marvels view of the character. This was disappointing but hardly an indictment when you look at how Ant Man performed considering all of the bad press that it generated because of Wrights departure. I highly doubt Wright would want to conform and compromise his movie visions under the Auteur known as Zack Snyder, since the guy laid out the entire DCEU already.

You're right that auteur doesn't mean or guarantee something good but it at least promises a signature style and a specific creative vision.

I really liked Ant Man, but man did it feel like a hallow attempt at an Edgar Wright movie.

If you at the credits of every Marvel movie, you see a lot of the same names pop up. From DPs, writers, costume designers, editors, art directors, etc. That doesn't offer a lot of wiggle room for creativity if you're a director. And shows how producer driven the MCU is.

Watch the link I posted that shows Charles Roven explaining how the DCEU works and how it filmmaker friendly it is. It gives each director ample room to do their thing and tell the story they want to tell, and if they cross their boundary, then the Brainstrust will readjust the lines.

JS, how can you sit here and talk about creative freedom and filmmaker friendliness within the DCEU when there have been two movies made, directed by the same guy, who just so happens to be part of the creative brain trust? And they have already had multiple filmmakers leave their films.

It doesn't make sense

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 2, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
I am glad that Michelle Maclarene left Wonder Woman, Variety said that her film was too focused on action rather than character and it had a talking tiger.

DC has their Braintrust and it's made of Zack and Debbie Snyder, Charles Roven, and Christopher Nolan who advises on everything. Here is a clip of Charles Roven explaining how it and how it is filmmaker friendly:

Apparently they're keeping the tiger.