2016-2017 NBA Thread

Sad that it happened and I hope he does well in a new spot. I'm curious what Grant can do and clearly Calderon gives us a point guard, but my biggest concern is why we are taking on longer term payroll. This move should have been all about losing Rose. Hopefully we can spin some of the longer term contracts to ensure we are better positioned for 2018.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is up there with the Bears finally firing Jerry Angelo and Bill Wirtz dying for me as a fan. Im sure the Bulls are gonna be a dumpster fire for a while but I just didnt want to root for them while Rose was on the team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Does this free up cap space or something?

What I was going to ask. Lopez was vastly overpaid last year. No clue about Grant and Calderon.

We didn't even get a draft pick.

Tommy Beer ‏@TommyBeer 3m3 minutes ago

Bulls opponents scored 108.5 points per 100 possessions w/ Rose on the floor.

They scored 104.4 pts per 100 possessions w/ Rose on the bench

Tommy Beer ‏@TommyBeer 4m4 minutes ago

Bulls O-Rating last season with Derrick Rose on the court was 104.6.

It was 105.2 with him off the floor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Does this free up cap space or something?

Oh, you'd think so. BUt no, Calderon and Lopez were on New York Knick contracts. Calderon is FA after this but mr. Lopez is not.

But Rose was so terrible we need to take on even worse players on longer contracts.

Is Lopez or Calderon from Iowa?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
If Robin Lopez is the 2nd best player on your roster, you are the New York Knicks guys. We did it!

Come on now, at least the Bulls have some complimentary players to start/come off the bench.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
This was not the right move. Lopez and calderon are signed to multi year deals. This was a garbage move by a bunch of terrible executives. This is a terrible trade.

Wow. They somehow screwed up a dump.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
If Robin Lopez is the 2nd best player on your roster, you are the New York Knicks guys. We did it!

The more I examined it, the more I agree with you. This guy is signed for a long time and he's a journeyman at best.

They will be bad next year for sure. Great, maybe they now realize this is a full rebuild. If they can get a couple top 5 picks in the next two seasons that they can add to Jimmy then they could be in business in a couple years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Oh, you'd think so. BUt no, Calderon and Lopez were on New York Knick contracts. Calderon is FA after this but mr. Lopez is not.

But Rose was so terrible we need to take on even worse players on longer contracts.

Is Lopez or Calderon from Iowa?

Yeah, I go back to my original point. I don't get it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Here you guys go, here's the great trade that had to be done.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jd95om7

Check out that sweet money transfer.

Lopez at $12 million doesn't seem that bad after you consider the new salary cap. But yeah...having him for 4 more years does suck though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Lopez at $12 million doesn't seem that bad after you consider the new salary cap. But yeah...having him for 4 more years does suck though.

LOL its crazy to think someone gave him that long of a contract.

2 months into the season when Rose is battling some lingering ankle issue, missing 5 games here, 8 games there, I think we're all going to be ok with this trade.

Bulls aren't winning the championship, so if this is the first of many trades to rebuild, i'm 100% ok with it.

Terrible deal.

Derrick may not be the warrior that would die on the court his first four years with the team, but those four years were special. He was Chicago's own carrying Jordan's legacy.

Also, I'm just gonna go with Jimmy Butler is a f***ing diva. Say what you will about Derrick and his injuries, but he didn't force people off the team like it appears Jimmy Butler is doing with Rose, Noah and Thibs (though he wasn't alone on that one).

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
By the numbers this deal just absolutely sucks from the Bulls standpoint but it sure feels like a load off knowing the Rose era is done. It needed to be done a long time ago.

I definitely think it allows them to go forward, but I wonder what their plans are to deal with Lopez and Calderon's contract. I don't know what there market is, but I'm guessing at some point they could potentially move them? I like the idea of Grant given the Bulls supposedly liked him a lot heading into the draft last year. I've said for a while, Bulls needed to move from Rose and find a PG who is a more true PG who can theoritically work with Butler and run whatever system Hoiberg truly wants to run.

Rose just was such a shell of his old self and I think this move will be really good for him to get a chance to play without the prior expectations. I didn't like giving up Holliday though and this doesn't mean the Bulls don't totally blow-up and move Butler (as if they got the right deal, they could have a ton of young, cheap assets a year from now, although I think more realistically they plan on trying to get a PG and than signing someone in 2018.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
LOL its crazy to think someone gave him that long of a contract.

Lopez is actually a decent center. The Knicks also ran out of people they could sign last year, so they probably gave him a bit more than what he deserved.