2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
2 months into the season when Rose is battling some lingering ankle issue, missing 5 games here, 8 games there, I think we're all going to be ok with this trade.

Bulls aren't winning the championship, so if this is the first of many trades to rebuild, i'm 100% ok with it.

taking on this much salary for role players long-term doesn't seem like a solid move as "the first of many trades to rebuild".

If they land Durant then suddenly this would make a ton of sense, role players and depth alongside Butler and Durant. But unless that happens? It's non cheap role players alongside Butler.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Terrible deal.

Derrick may not be the warrior that would die on the court his first four years with the team, but those four years were special. He was Chicago's own carrying Jordan's legacy.

Also, I'm just gonna go with Jimmy Butler is a f***ing diva. Say what you will about Derrick and his injuries, but he didn't force people off the team like it appears Jimmy Butler is doing with Rose, Noah and Thibs (though he wasn't alone on that one).

I don't think Butler has done any of that. I think it is a matter of the guys that were there before Jimmy don't respect Jimmy and are all relying on their historical old guard ways. I still say Thibs is interested in bringing Butler back so I don't think there was near the disconnect believed. Pau and Butler get along great and Butler busts his but. We could use more Butler's and less Rose's as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunate cause Rose was impacted from his injuries (more mentally than physically) and unfortunately it changed who he was. Wish him the best, but now was the time. This roster just didn't work with them both here and honestly, what do we expect. Butler does need to continue to work and hone on his leadership skills though (so he isn't innocent in everything). But Butler has done that with a ton of the younger players on this franchise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
I don't think Butler has done any of that. I think it is a matter of the guys that were there before Jimmy don't respect Jimmy and are all relying on their historical old guard ways. I still say Thibs is interested in bringing Butler back so I don't think there was near the disconnect believed. Pau and Butler get along great and Butler busts his but. We could use more Butler's and less Rose's as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunate cause Rose was impacted from his injuries (more mentally than physically) and unfortunately it changed who he was. Wish him the best, but now was the time. This roster just didn't work with them both here and honestly, what do we expect. Butler does need to continue to work and hone on his leadership skills though (so he isn't innocent in everything). But Butler has done that with a ton of the younger players on this franchise.

Eh, to me it feels like Butler forced out Noah and Derrick, who both destroyed their bodies for this team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
How often is it that both fanbases think it is a terrible trade?

It is really fitting considering both fanbases has dealt with terrible management of the team for a while now. I thought the Knick fans would love this trade though. No out of town stupid love for Rose?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Taj, Portis, McDermott and Mirotic. Other than Carmelo and Porzingis, who does New York have?

Derrick Williams averaged as many ppg as Doug Mcdermott. He isn't a good player. Portis has promise, he was not a good player. New York also has Arron Afflalo.

Rose

Afflalo

Anthony

Porzingis

C

That's probably outperforming anything bulls have. Mirotic and McDermott are names to everyone else but bulls fans.

Taj is great. BUt again, we didn't make the playoffs last year in the EAST. WIth Jimmy Butler. With Rose. With that "stacked" supporting class.

In the end it probably doesn't matter. Lopez is in for Noah or Pau or both, so while they did take on a little salary, they will have more cap space, but it isn't like they are going to sign Durant. They usually come in 2nd or 3rd for anyone you need big cap space to acquire.

If it blows up, maybe it's another nail in the Gar/Pax coffin but I am sure the subtraction of Reggie Rose from all Bulls related things is going to score GarPax bonus points.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
What I was going to ask. Lopez was vastly overpaid last year. No clue about Grant and Calderon.

We didn't even get a draft pick.

When you trade with the Knicks, there are not draft picks available.

By the way, isn't Calderon a free agent after this year anyway, so it isn't like we added some long term deal there. Lopez is the one longer team deal we took on (Grant will be on his rookie deal) and at 4 / 54M and given where the cap is going, I don't actually think his contract will be viewed as horrifically (as it currently stands, so if the Bulls wanted to, they could move him). This deal kind of puts the Bulls in the spot they could make a run this year to sign someone big (and have good role players plus another star in Butler to surround them with) or they could potentially move these pieces to other teams and free up more space for next year if that is the strategic direction they go.

I'd argue on the open market this year, Lopez would get at least the 4/ 54M offer he signed last year, if not more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
taking on this much salary for role players long-term doesn't seem like a solid move as "the first of many trades to rebuild".

If they land Durant then suddenly this would make a ton of sense, role players and depth alongside Butler and Durant. But unless that happens? It's non cheap role players alongside Butler.

Think of it this way though, the Bulls frontcourt is basically a platoon anyway. Lopes (12, 13.2, 13.7, 14 mil), Taj (8.5 and 9), Portis (1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.5, 3.6) and Mirotic (5.5, 5.7, 7.2). So a total of 28-30 million the next couple of years? Out of a 94 million cap?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Eh, to me it feels like Butler forced out Noah and Derrick, who both destroyed their bodies for this team.

I don't really know how Rose destroyed his body for the team. He did a lot of sitting and was the opposite of a team first player. I don't disagree on Noah, but we don't know all of what happened with Noah and Butler.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
By the way, isn't Calderon a free agent after this year anyway, so it isn't like we added some long term deal there. Lopez is the one longer team deal we took on (Grant will be on his rookie deal) and at 4 / 54M and given where the cap is going, I don't actually think his contract will be viewed as horrifically (as it currently stands, so if the Bulls wanted to, they could move him). This deal kind of puts the Bulls in the spot they could make a run this year to sign someone big (and have good role players plus another star in Butler to surround them with) or they could potentially move these pieces to other teams and free up more space for next year if that is the strategic direction they go.

I'd argue on the open market this year, Lopez would get at least the 4/ 54M offer he signed last year, if not more.

With the higher cap, definitely. He's coming off a similar season in NY that he had the season before in Portland.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Terrible deal.

Derrick may not be the warrior that would die on the court his first four years with the team, but those four years were special. He was Chicago's own carrying Jordan's legacy.

Also, I'm just gonna go with Jimmy Butler is a f***ing diva. Say what you will about Derrick and his injuries, but he didn't force people off the team like it appears Jimmy Butler is doing with Rose, Noah and Thibs (though he wasn't alone on that one).

I recognize this but I don't really have any reaction to the ghost of Derrick Rose. It's sad that he won't ever have the career we thought he would have but it was sad when my grandma died in 1995, too. I'm more concerned with the future direction of the team and how I have no idea wtf they're doing, and I don't think they do either.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
I don't really know how Rose destroyed his body for the team. He did a lot of sitting and was the opposite of a team first player. I don't disagree on Noah, but we don't know all of what happened with Noah and Butler.

Derrick's 3rd and 4th seasons he battled through a bunch of injuries. Then the big one happened and he wasn't the same, but a lot of people thank that the piling up of turf toe and various strains led to that ACL. Hell, remember when he played through ulcers?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Derrick Williams averaged as many ppg as Doug Mcdermott. He isn't a good player. Portis has promise, he was not a good player. New York also has Arron Afflalo.

Rose

Afflalo

Anthony

Porzingis

C

That's probably outperforming anything bulls have. Mirotic and McDermott are names to everyone else but bulls fans.

Taj is great. BUt again, we didn't make the playoffs last year in the EAST. WIth Jimmy Butler. With Rose. With that "stacked" supporting class.

A lot of that was Butler and Rose playing like ass together. This solved that problem. Go back to the first third of last season when Jimmy was the main guy. They were beating all of the good teams. Something clicked, then they lost it.

Here we go... from Woj:

Bulls, Heat and Raptors are in advanced discussions on a 3-team trade that would send Jimmy Butler to Miami, sources tell @TheVertical

edit: false alarm. Bulls beat guy just retweeted a fake Woj account.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Here we go... from Woj:

Bulls, Heat and Raptors are in advanced discussions on a 3-team trade that would send Jimmy Butler to Miami, sources tell @TheVertical

Um, ok. So the Bulls are just totally punting apparently?