2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I would rather watch Khalid El Amin in the back court than watch either Lopez brother play basketball.

It's like convincing me Joe Johnson isn't that bad. He is certainly tall and can rebound, but they make me hate the sport of basketball.

No. I had season tickets then. No, you don't want that.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather watch Khalid El Amin in the back court than watch either Lopez brother play basketball.

It's like convincing me Joe Johnson isn't that bad. He is certainly tall and can rebound, but they make me hate the sport of basketball.

LMAO

just so we are clear...you arent a fan of this trade, right bmags?

The Bulls didn't get better in the future for this trade. They are probably slightly better next year.

They've got the tear it down fully now or were stuck in NBA hell. Without tearing everything down this is an absolutely awful trade.

Right, because watching Derrick miss 10 or 11 jumpers 50 or 60 times next year is so much better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
He does have a point. None of the players the Bulls received make you want to watch a game.

He totally has a point.

I would think back to last year when they rarely had anybody on the floor that made me want to watch a game either. Now that doesnt give them permission to suck again but if they are going to be bad they need to be really bad and make some shrewd moves along the way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
He does have a point. None of the players the Bulls received make you want to watch a game.

Well, WGN stopped carrying their games and on the occasion they get a national game it's typically against a better opponent or Christmas, so it's not the easiest thing to do outside the city any more anyway.

Robin Lopez is actually a bad defensive rebounder if that makes you feel better. Solid rim protector though.

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 9m9 minutes ago

Bulls knew they had to address Rose-Butler dynamic. They also knew Rose was walking in 17.

Hmm, didn't know it was a foregone conclusion that Rose was going to walk after next year. If that was the case, at least Bulls got something for him.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)

Bulls knew they had to address Rose-Butler dynamic. They also knew Rose was walking in 17.

Hmm, didn't know it was a foregone conclusion that Rose was going to walk after next year. If that was the case, at least Bulls got something for him.

Hmm, that kind of tells me that Butler is going nowhere. KC usually gets his stuff from the FO

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 29m29 minutes ago

If they go after Dwight and sign him, fans should line up w pitchforks.

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 24m24 minutes ago

Lopez was fantastic fit w KP. 28 & healthy. Thrived as he learned the offense in 2nd half of season. Took burden off budding KP at the 5.

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 23m23 minutes ago

Probably most important: His deal -- the one that uninformed fans thought was too expensive -- is incredibly affordable one week from now.

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 24m24 minutes ago

You're not gonna find a FA center who plays the position as well as he does, and knows the offense, for the money he makes. Not anymore.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
Can't decide who will be the more miserable team to watch next year, the chicago bulls or the brooklyn nets.

Yes, because the Nets have a player like Butler. Oh and the Nets literally don't have their 1st round pick in the next two years either (technically next year they'll swap with the Celtics so they'll end up with the Celtics pick). Come on...this is absurd overreaction. I'm not saying we are going to be a championship team, but we aren't talking about being god awful. I realize people have this theory that we should either be a championship favorite or the worse team on the planet trying to stockpile assets, but the reality is there is a fine line there. If we saw that approach, the Heat probably would have been blown up prior to acquiring Lebron, the Mavericks wouldn't have won a title, the Lakers 2nd run would have been blown up (Kobe would have been moved and thus they never would have been in a spot to land Pau to push them over the top after Bynum suddenly emerged as a quality pick) and to be frank Golden State would have been blown up (as Steph had never proven to be awesome).

It is okay to be a pretty good team and being in that constant spot where a good pick here (or the right trade opportunity there) and you are a potential contender. You never know about injuries, etc, oh and well it is more entertaining to watch anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Oh and taking on Lopez's contract while trading Butler would also be very confusing to me.

Given Lopez would get as much, if not more on the FA market today, I presume that would mean if we wanted to, we could move him. Presume...I'm obviously not a GM so I technically don't know the market. I view this as the team is in a position where it could pivot a multitude of directions. They could make a push at a top player now (to surround with a more solid core plus Butler...would they be favorites if they signed KD, no, but they'd be pretty damn legit contenders) or they could wait a year, where there is a more realistic chance you could actually land another top FA (not saying they'd get them, but more potential options). Again, instant contender, no, but very good team that could possibly contend, certainly.

They could also get a blown away offer for Butler, but without that, there is no need. He's a top 15 player in the league signed long-term to a fair deal in what is a star league. We won't win with him as a #1 (at least not based upon his current talent level) but we absolutely could with him as the #2.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
You're being silly. The Bulls aren't THAT awful unless the next step is moving Butler. Butler alone puts them ahead of a third of the league or more.

You seem surprised that the Bulls got crap for a injury-prone net-minus player that's making over 20 mil. Spanish Kirk Hinrich is only here for one year and while Lopez's contract isn't ideal, it's tolerable with the new cap. They would have to sign similar or worse contracts next year anyway to get to the new salary floor after they whiff on the decent FA.

It's not really going to set them back. At least now we don't have to worry about them stupidly resigning Rose, and they picked up a semi-competent big and a young PG that should be better outside of the Triangle offense.

Good post. PS, I don't buy any of the Butler rumors unless we get totally blown away. I.e., Wiggins plus the pick for Butler + our 1st or Boston gives us this years top pick plus other top picks.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)

Rose is going to want a mega deal and he isn't a very good fit for this team. Maybe he turns back into a star, but I don't believe it was happening in Chicago and I think he's too risky an investment to tie the type of money he will likely get a year from now. The Bulls absolutely had to move Rose.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Per KC

Gar said he didn't talk to Rose, only agent BJ Armstrong. Said he got Rose's voice mail. I'm told Bulls had trouble reaching Rose all summer

Everyone complains about Rose, but it is Butler who last off-season and this off-season had actually taken the time to train and spend time with other players on the Bulls. Rose made a brief appearance with Butler, but it was Butler who organized everything and set things up with Snell and Taj (plus all the time he spent with Dougie). Rose lives in the world of isolation yet it is Butler that is the cancer. You know what, Kobe wasn't always the easiest guy to work with but he put in tons of work and expected it out of everyone else and ultimately he was a good leader. He needed a guy like Derrick Fisher around him who could play the nice guy to his bad guy, but the end of the day, I think Butler has a lot of Kobe in him (not talent wise...please don't let anyone think I'm saying he has that talent...but he does have that attitude and will to just outwork everyone and he tries to push and lead by example with others and that is okay). He also was new to this role so you could presume there would be bumps and whenever you have a "changing" over the guard, you know the older guard is going to be the one who has the most difficult time adjusting (doesn't mean I'm blaming Rose or Noah either...just that it is natural).

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
I just listened to the entire Gar presser. I've heard enough trade and post season recap press conferences. Jimmy is on the market. They may keep him, but he said NOTHING to the affect of "Jimmy is core piece here, we are building around him, blah blah blah"

Yeah I listened too and he sure didn't go full blown "we are committed to Jimmy" by any stretch of the imagination. My bet is that Jimmy is gone too and I am not sure it will be for the haul that Bulls fans want. It may be for a high first and a throw in and they take their lumps.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Yeah I listened too and he sure didn't go full blown "we are committed to Jimmy" by any stretch of the imagination. My bet is that Jimmy is gone too and I am not sure it will be for the haul that Bulls fans want. It may be for a high first and a throw in and they take their lumps.

I think it is more that they know it is a dynamic and fluid situation and they are aware that they need to be able to adjust on the fly and be a little more creative / think out of the box than they have done in the past. I still expect Jimmy to be here unless we see just an absurd offer come across Gar / Pax's desk.

I should point out, the team with the most downside from this deal is the Bulls because if they legitimately were planning on aligning for 2018, they should have just kept Rose and seen if he was super explosive during the first half of the season as they could have gotten more value at a later date. I say this because Rose clearly has the athleticism to still be a very good player...he just hasn't had the mental capacity / confidence to do so. So from an upside perspective, NY has more potential upside and I think it was a very good deal for the Knicks (gives them more payroll flexibility a year from now too).