2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
I'd need an active player from the Celtics as well.

I probably do as well. What you have to wonder is, is there a scenario where the Bulls / Celtics / Sixers dance with Butler going to Boston, and Okafor / Picks to Chicago, and Philly getting young player from Chicago / Boston + picks.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celtics just dont really match cause their next year pick is going to be mid range at best which just doesnt have a lot of value.

Lakers/Twolves deals can work.

I have tried to figure out a 76ers deal that works, but I just dont see how the Bulls could get Okafor + the 3rd, which is what I think you need to get to move Butler.

Otherwise you just keep him and eventually someone will pay the price.

Philly is making serious run at Boston's #3 pick and dangling its young bigs. Not sure if Boston does any of it straight up. Everyone knows Boston wants Buckets badly...if you get enough leverage, things could work out...but I don't think the Bulls FO has it in them to make this type of role the dice move. That said, I didn't think they had the guns to move Rose either.

I also have no idea if any team even comes close to making the offers outlined above, either.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Celtics just dont really match cause their next year pick is going to be mid range at best which just doesnt have a lot of value.

Lakers/Twolves deals can work.

I have tried to figure out a 76ers deal that works, but I just dont see how the Bulls could get Okafor + the 3rd, which is what I think you need to get to move Butler.

Otherwise you just keep him and eventually someone will pay the price.

Next year, Boston has right to swap picks with the Nets, so the Celtics pick is actually New Jersey's and they will suck (barring some shocker), so next year's pick is actually extremely valuable. Boston also has New Jersey's 2018 1st round pick (unprotected) so theoretically, if you were looking at a longer term rebuild, Boston could be an excellent fit (but I don't see them giving up what would appear to be 3 top 5 picks (as I would be surprised if the Nets, given the lack of picks, etc, aren't in the top 5 in each of the next two seasons). I would be stunned if Boston would give up that many of their assets, however, they are focused in a now mode.

Hard part for the Bulls is the Boston deal, if it is more based upon future picks, yes, helps from the sake that the team will be bad the next couple of years, but it also hurts from the perspective that you know you will be bad for at least a few years and I don't know if JR has ability to stomach it. If you can get a top pick now, plus a promising young player (and the benefit of cap space), than you have a faster path to potentially contending (especially given the east), where you could be talking about getting back into the playoffs (if you can parlay the picks appropriately and leverage your money on a big signing).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina

I've sensed skepticism Chicago's Jimmy Butler is getting traded to Lakers in a deal involving No. 2 pick,

What does this mean....that it is unlikely?

Ah didnt realize they could swap with the Nets, but if its picks only itd have to be all 3 (2016, 2017 and Nets 2018) Otherwise there are just too many risks. Even if the Nets are bad you could be looking at pick #3 in a two man draft (same as the Celtics have this year).

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I believe so. There is also a Oladipo +11 for Butler rumor floating around.

Horrid...horrid. No difference maker @ 11 and Oladipo is so far worse than buckets. That is on the opposite end of the spectrum of the Wiggins + 5 rumors. And yeah, evidently this person thought initially there was more smoke behind Butler for the #2 pick and now they are retracting that. Maybe it is because it would take much more than the #2 pick alone. I certainly am not trading Butler for Ingram, straight up.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
Jeff GoodmanVerified account

‏@GoodmanESPN

Danny Ainge just walked into the Garden with a huge smile. He looked confident -- and should based on his track record of draft night deals.

Crowder, Smart, and the #3 and I'll be happy.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Crowder, Smart, and the #3 and I'll be happy.

That would net the Bulls 2 role players and no one with a high probability of being in Butler's range (as big drop off from 2 to 3). yes, it means you get Dunn, but I don't know that Dunn is widely viewed as being a perennial all star or something. This is a league of stars, so unless you get multiple guys you think can be a star back (when you are giving up a guy who is a star signed to a long term deal), you just don't do it. It is that simple.

And if you are these other teams, you make the move, because theortically you presume the bust rate on those two young players equates to one Butler (or Butler just helps your immediate time table better / helps your longer term plan / and/or your ability to sign another impactful free agent (as they'd rather play with buckets than wait on two youngsters).

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
I'm probably alone but I'd take Heild at 3. I like scorers.

I would be ok with Dunn as well.

Here is the thing: Dunn, Crowder and Marcus Smart gives us two potential starters, none of which has any solid probability of even approaching Jimmy Butler territory and than a solid young bench type player in Smart. Crowder is not some high impact player and Smart is a

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Here is the thing: Dunn, Crowder and Marcus Smart gives us two potential starters, none of which has any solid probability of even approaching Jimmy Butler territory and than a solid young bench type player in Smart. Crowder is not some high impact player and Smart is a

You don't like Heild?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
You don't like Heild?

I like him, but I think the Bulls would be drafting Dunn and I probably would go Dunn as well. Either way, Heild or Dunn, doesn't matter, I don't think it is enough value with getting another top pick. Dunn fits the profile better of the type of guys that Paxson and Gar have had a lot of success drafting.