2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
Looks like it all grew from this bullsh*t.

Into more bullsh*t.

And even more bullsh*t.

Listen, if it's not being discussed on Reddit or anywhere remotely trustworthy, it's not happening.

And yes, that means I'm looking at you, ChristianToday.com.

Thats a whole bunch of bulls***

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 06:43 AM)
Anyone buying into the Blake Griffin for Niko and Taj rumors?

I love Blake, but this team needs the spacing Niko brings.

Seriously....we are going to not acquire Blake cause of spacing issues. I don't know what the rumors are and I see zero reason why the Clips would do this, but if their is a legit way to get Blake for a package involving Taj and Niko, it would have been done yesterday. I don't even know what sort of package we could put together that would work for the Clips. Maybe if we signed Doc's kid and than could trade him back, but that is the only way ;)

Nate Silver did some analysis on the NBA draft picks and somehow projected Valentine as like the 3rd or 4th best player in terms of value over the next 5 years (I think it was 5 years). No idea what basis went into it, but thought I'd point it out. Simmons and Dunn were #1 / #2.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Nate Silver did some analysis on the NBA draft picks and somehow projected Valentine as like the 3rd or 4th best player in terms of value over the next 5 years (I think it was 5 years). No idea what basis went into it, but thought I'd point it out. Simmons and Dunn were #1 / #2.

So far he looks good. With Hoiberg he'll get some serious minutes.

I have little doubt that he can contribute offensively but pretty worried defensively. He was probably tired this tourney but he looks stiff as a board.

I wouldn't put much stock in those, especially beyond year 1. They're based on college stats (which is a ridiculously small sample for most of these guys) and comparable players at the same age. The "range of outcomes" is also massive, they have Simmons worth something between 2 and 12 WARP in 2018. That's a big f***ing difference.

Valentine will look decent because he was a great college player and his major flaws (athleticism and injury concerns) won't show up on paper. He'll also drop once more gifted players start showing improvement (something like Paul George, who I don't think most systems liked).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I wouldn't put much stock in those, especially beyond year 1. They're based on college stats (which is a ridiculously small sample for most of these guys) and comparable players at the same age. The "range of outcomes" is also massive, they have Simmons worth something between 2 and 12 WARP in 2018. That's a big f***ing difference.

Valentine will look decent because he was a great college player and his major flaws (athleticism and injury concerns) won't show up on paper. He'll also drop once more gifted players start showing improvement (something like Paul George, who I don't think most systems liked).

Even though he may base that on college stats I wonder how accurate he has been in the past or if he has even done these ratings before.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Shipps did you ever catch Summer League fever?

Reading what you guys have to say is the closest I will ever get to catching it, I think.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Even though he may base that on college stats I wonder how accurate he has been in the past or if he has even done these ratings before.

For all players, they said 80% were within 2 WAR of their projection for the 15/16 season (they just started). They missed by 4-7 WAR on a handful of players. It didn't specify for rookies, but I would assume it's less reliable due to less data, especially when projecting 3 years out. I know Hollinger did something similar in the past, and it had hits (liking Boozer and Millsap more than most) and misses (his numbers LOVED Michael Sweetney and to a lesser extent Sheldon Williams).

Basically, it will be more accurate than your typical expert, but still far from reliable. I'm not picking on 538, that's true with most systems because for most guys it will be how and how much they improve from here.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
He has narcissistic personality disorder or something.

He is more out of touch with reality than I have ever seen any other player. His brothers have always made sure it never got to him so he never developed the ability to identify how people see him or the reality of anything.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Rose compliments teammates -> narcissist

Jimmy's repeated over the top I'm a leader selfish comments -> leader

Nah Jimmy has been slowly creeping toward a bad rep since before the start of last season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Rose compliments teammates -> narcissist

Jimmy's repeated over the top I'm a leader selfish comments -> leader

Ehhhh

More like complete lack of self-awareness or his current stature in the league. Rose compared Melo, Rose, Porzingas to Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green. That is complete lack of awareness.

Dumb s*** like this plays better in the GOP v LIB arguments in another forum. This is pretty cut and dry.

Edited by Steve9347