Time to Trade Chris Sale?

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
The proposed deal of Sale for Moncada, Swihart, Espinoza and ERod seems like something that makes sense for both sides.

No, It doesnt. Betts or Bradley is in this deal or have fun with Wright and Bucholz. Sales success and contract demands the best return

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
get f***ing real. Dont give me Moncada and prospects. If Sale goes, especially to Boston, major league young players PLUS prospects are coming back.

GTFO

Agreed. We are not trading Sale. Not necessarily because we shouldn't, but because nobody will be willing to offer a package that is equal to his worth. Oh well, I guess we'll have to keep a Cy Young caliber pitcher around.

I must say, I really don't understand the logic around here.

If you were going to trade Chris Sale, the time to do that was BEFORE you went and made 12 other moves in an attempt to compete with this core. The time was to build a new core once you realized you couldn't assemble a competitive enough team in time to coincide with Sale's peak years.

The time is not AFTER you've gone and tried to build around THIS core. We've since signed multiple free agents, made multiple trades, etc. You've come this far. Now you've got no choice but to keep trying. They need to keep adding to the core now, not selling it off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)

If you were going to trade Chris Sale, the time to do that was BEFORE you went and made 12 other moves in an attempt to compete with this core. The time was to build a new core once you realized you couldn't assemble a competitive enough team in time to coincide with Sale's peak years.

The time is not AFTER you've gone and tried to build around THIS core. We've since signed multiple free agents, made multiple trades, etc. You've come this far. Now you've got no choice but to keep trying. They need to keep adding to the core now, not selling it off.

Disagee. You can deal guys you've added as well (Melky, Robertson, Frazier).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
No, It doesnt. Betts or Bradley is in this deal or have fun with Wright and Bucholz. Sales success and contract demands the best return

I can understand that. I'm probably higher on Moncada than I should be. I actually don't like Swihart that much but it seems like the WSox adore him.

It's limbo time, but as I have stated before I think this was planned. I don't think it's this year we sell.

At the end of this year we lose what? Ajax, Navarro, Albers, Avila?

Basically nobody at all. All very, very replaceable players.

The following year we are set to lose:

Lawrie, Melky, Robertson, Frazier, Duke

Not really lose, but you know what I mean. Can be FA if we don't try and re-sign.

I think this limbo is exactly planned by the FO. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go hard 1.5 more years (this year, offseason) before re-evaluating around this time next year.

Not a great FA year, but I can see them being active on the trade market for an OF and DH and Catcher. And then basically saying if it doesn't look good that we'll tear it all down.

Sure if you execute that plan earlier (this year) you can get better prospects for Frazier, Robertson, etc. but you can still probably salvage decent value next year too.

No team in this division is that amazing - so like it or not were going to still try. The FO sees it as we have Sale and Q and if we get to the postseason anything can happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)

I agree with this. They are in. Need to keep going now.

Trade all major league quality players for prospects. Then next winter sign some minor league free agents to play for the major league team. Have a horrible team that will be lucky to win 50 games, it will be paradise. No one will complain about management anymore. No one will blame the manager when the line up doesn't feature one player that would start on the opposing team. No one will blame the hitting coach when guys who struggle in AAA aren't hitting very well at the major league level. And if the majority of prospects bust, everyone will understand.

Edited by Dick Allen

Ahh the annual trade Sale article.

Boston doesn't need Sale, they have pitching.

I'd look at a contender like Texas or Pittsburgh with mediocre pitching.

You aren't getting stars back for Sale. Contending teams don't trade stars.

Unless you don't agree they should trade Sale, which is fine.

But don't realistically expect star return.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Not is agreement with trading Sale or Quintana. Look at the Dodgers and their record. Do they trade their best pitcher in Kershaw? I think not

You can't even compare Sale or Quintana with Kershaw. Kershaw is owed $35 million a year through 2020. Chris Sale is owed less than $50 million TOTAL through 2019. Kershaw may be a better, but a team looking for an ace would be much more willing to trade for a guy like Sale or Quintana because of the contracts. The Sox could get a haul for either one, and if things are bleak toward the deadline, they should certainly entertain offers.

Derek Norris has been hitting the ball a lot better lately but his average is still pretty low. Under control for a couple more seasons? Maybe we try to add him to help at catcher since there's nothing close and nothing besides Wilson Ramos in free agency? Could be a buy low option.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
I don't know about you guys, but I'd need at least one of Betts/Bogaerts AND 3 other elite prospects in order to trade the best pitcher in the American League.

Same. And I expect the same thing for Quintana.

Sale isn't getting traded.

BUT....if he were, its going to take Betts, Moncada, Benentendi/Devers and 2 of Rodriguez, Espinoza, Swihart or other top ~8 guys in their farm. Which is why he won't be traded.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Ahh the annual trade Sale article.

Boston doesn't need Sale, they have pitching.

I'd look at a contender like Texas or Pittsburgh with mediocre pitching.

You aren't getting stars back for Sale. Contending teams don't trade stars.

Unless you don't agree they should trade Sale, which is fine.

But don't realistically expect star return.

Boston has pitching? Not much after David Price.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
That would be an incredibly inefficient use of resources.

I was disagreeing with the whole take on it. They were(/are) trying to build a contender. If it doesn't work out and they decide to sell, it wasn't pointless because they at least tried to add pieces around the core. They can move other guys they brought in too. Guys they brought into compete with.

Edited by soxfan2014