Time to Trade Chris Sale?

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Do you think JR sells to the other owners or do they all sell? Forbes estimates he owns 19% of the team. He wouldn't really benefit much personally from a sale.

Interesting question.

I've never heard of any other part owner of the Sox being interested. The only name I was ever told was the guy who owned the Memphis NBA franchise. He was from the Chicago area. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago I think from cancer.

And as I understand it JR does not need permission from the other part owners to sell. The decision is completely his.

Mark

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Interesting question.

I've never heard of any other part owner of the Sox being interested. The only name I was ever told was the guy who owned the Memphis NBA franchise. He was from the Chicago area. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago I think from cancer.

And as I understand it JR does not need permission from the other part owners to sell. The decision is completely his.

Mark

The guy that owns the South Bend A ball team and is a shareholder with the Sox would be interested. He also bought a percentage of the Cubs recently.

If Sale got traded the White Sox would need to be the clear winners of that trade. Basically the reaction would be "Wow Chris Sale is a great pitcher...but the Sox got an absolute haul". That's what it would take. I'm not talking about just gutting their minor leagues either. They need to add in a bat on the major league roster and I think we have a pretty good idea of who that would be.

Otherwise why trade him? The market has been set with the Atlanta-DBacks trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
If JR wanted to sell the team, the team goes on the block. If every other shareholder wanted to sell the team and JR didn't, the team wouldn't be for sale. I think JR dies as an owner of the White Sox. And his son really wouldn't mind taking his dad's job.

All those hoping a Mark Cuban buys the team, forget it. Besides, if you added up the net worth of all the White Sox partners, it would be a pretty impressive amount.

I would agree with this. He continually talks about his love of baseball and I think he will own the team until he dies. After that it will be interesting to see who buys it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
A new TV deal will take affect in 2019, this will increase the bottom line for the team and get JR a lot more money (perhaps) if he gets a deal along the lines of what other teams have been getting. I think that JR's push right now to get the team into contention is to try and boost TV numbers to use in negotiations to get a better deal.

JR has mentioned that he does not want his family to continue in baseball long term.

All of that leads to me coming to the conclusion that JR isn't long for the Sox. It also would likely prevent the Sox from trading Sale as he is the type of player that a new franchise owner would love to have on his new franchise.

Again, as I posted in the another thread.. the capital gains tax that JR would incur upon sale of the Sox might wipe out the federal deficit…

The Sox are now worth a little over a $1 billion .. JR bought the Sox for $20 M… the capital gains tax is 20% ..

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
That was an incredibly pointless article.

I agree. I dropped it without comment, but it was pointless.

I will say, give Sale enough time, he'll always say something on the dumb side, or cringeworthy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
I agree. I dropped it without comment, but it was pointless.

I will say, give Sale enough time, he'll always say something on the dumb side, or cringeworthy.

Not sure if it's what you're insinuating, but I don't think Sale said anything dumb in that article.

The man wants to pitch in the playoffs. Can you blame him? I want to watch him pitch in the playoffs. It'd be a thing of beauty. Think Bumgarner last year but even more dominant. I hope he gets that opportunity in a Sox uni.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Not sure if it's what you're insinuating, but I don't think Sale said anything dumb in that article.

The man wants to pitch in the playoffs. Can you blame him? I want to watch him pitch in the playoffs. It'd be a thing of beauty. Think Bumgarner last year but even more dominant. I hope he gets that opportunity in a Sox uni.

The title of the article seemed a bit deceiving.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Again, as I posted in the another thread.. the capital gains tax that JR would incur upon sale of the Sox might wipe out the federal deficit…

The Sox are now worth a little over a $1 billion .. JR bought the Sox for $20 M… the capital gains tax is 20% ..

Except JR doesn't own 100% of the team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Do you think JR sells to the other owners or do they all sell? Forbes estimates he owns 19% of the team. He wouldn't really benefit much personally from a sale.

JR has laughed at those estimates saying that they have no idea how much he really owns.

"Reinsdorf reportedly owned 4 percent to 5 percent of the team at the beginning but has gradually increased his stake. Four partners told the Tribune that Reinsdorf now owns 14 percent. Reinsdorf said that figure is "significantly understated" but declined to provide another amount.

"No partner knows what I own," Reinsdorf said""

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07...chael-reinsdorf

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)

You think the big hang up in selling is that they would only make $780M?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
JR has laughed at those estimates saying that they have no idea how much he really owns.

"Reinsdorf reportedly owned 4 percent to 5 percent of the team at the beginning but has gradually increased his stake. Four partners told the Tribune that Reinsdorf now owns 14 percent. Reinsdorf said that figure is "significantly understated" but declined to provide another amount.

OK. The question remains, who do you think he would sell to? I think it's sold after he dies. He will always own the team.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
You think the big hang up in selling is that they would only make $780M?

The 1B is what Forbes projected the team was worth. The cubs sold for around that number. i don't think the Sox would get that.

It might be time to trade Sale. We'll see.

But you don't do it until Williams/Hahn/Ventura/Cooper/Bell and the rest hit the road. Certainly don't want Rick Hahn conducting a Sale trade nor the usual suspects evaluating the possible return talent.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)

"No partner knows what I own," Reinsdorf said"

Wow. I wonder how the deal is structured that no one knows how much he owns. That seems really strange.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
If Sale got traded the White Sox would need to be the clear winners of that trade. Basically the reaction would be "Wow Chris Sale is a great pitcher...but the Sox got an absolute haul". That's what it would take. I'm not talking about just gutting their minor leagues either. They need to add in a bat on the major league roster and I think we have a pretty good idea of who that would be.

Otherwise why trade him? The market has been set with the Atlanta-DBacks trade.

This basically. Just look at the Shelby Miller deal and just about double it lol

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
The 1B is what Forbes projected the team was worth. The cubs sold for around that number. i don't think the Sox would get that.

Values have increased exponentially since even then.

You have the 2019 media/broadcast rights bonanza, possibly.

You have a number of attractive assets (Sale/Eaton/Quintana/Rodon/Fulmer/Collins/Anderson) in the organization...an owner willing to spend $150 million per year could easily make that workable in the AL Central...and that sweetheart stadium lease agreement until 2029 or whatever year. But you can't supplement the core adequately enough to be a playoff team.

At a payroll of $120-130 million, they're always going to be a couple of players short unless they stop making bad mistakes in the free agent or trade (Shields) market.

At one point in the last decade (after 2005/06 period), the White Sox were the 8th most valuable franchise. I can't remember where we are now, somewhere between 14-18...right in the middle of franchise valuations.

Edited by caulfield12