Tim Anderson

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
If you want to compare Anderson to another AA former Sox Lance Johnson is a much better comp. Great hit tool, tall rangy athlete, not much patience, decent amount of pop, not a great natural base stealer despite the speed.

Lance wasn't even as tall as his baseball card would claim (5'10, 160 pounds).

No arm. Outfielder. Didn't have nearly the home run pop we've seen from Anderson early. Let's just say he's a mixture of Johnson/Durham and leave it at that, irrespective of position, hitting LH or RH, etc.

Just thought of someone else who he reminds me of...now that I think about it, a taller Chone Figgins (not sure if he'll ever put up those SB numbers) also comes to mind because of his bat positioning. Not sure if Anderson will ever end up playing 2B/3B/OF in addition to his natural spot.

Flashback to the term "cutting and slashing"...who was it that Harrelson always said that about, was it Warren Newson, Norberto Paco Martin or Ozuna?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
I thought calling Anderson up was a bit early but I'm not complaining about the results so far. Tim has been a great spark at the top of the order and it looks like the Sox made the right call. Tim has been a breath of fresh air.

I stayed out of the arguments re: if he was ready or not. I'm actually surprised I saw so many saying it was a mistake to call him up. Very few if any had a real grasp on his performance defensively or even offensively. I just figured well he can always be sent back down . If he's meant to be a good big leaguer he will be not everyone is some mental caase who gets hurt by early failure. They should be teaching these guys that failure is a natural part of success especially in baseball where failure 7/10 time still makes u a great hitter.

Another multi hit game. Anderson will be at .300 soon until pitchers figure out not to bother even throwing the kid a strike. Pretty soon will be seeing what Boshers of the Twins did to him in the 8 th inning. Threw all balls and Anderren swung at 3 of them and K'ed. None of the pitches were even particularly close to a strike.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 06:03 AM)
Another multi hit game. Anderson will be at .300 soon until pitchers figure out not to bother even throwing the kid a strike. Pretty soon will be seeing what Boshers of the Twins did to him in the 8 th inning. Threw all balls and Anderren swung at 3 of them and K'ed. None of the pitches were even particularly close to a strike.

Am I the only one that thinks that Tim's major league comp isn't Brandon Phillips but Starling Marte? check out their similarites below

29xATIU.jpg

I think its great Tim has found success early with his defnese and hit tool at the major league level often that takes him a bit of time to get comfortable before he excels. I don't believe he will continue to strike out at 30% of the time while walking a mere 1% i could see him getting back to his 4BB%/20K% in the not too distant future. The sox might have something very special on their hands with Tim Anderson.

There's absolutely no doubt that you'll see pitchers starting to pitch TA differently and making adjustments towards him. The beautiful thing about Tim is that he's proven time and time again that he can make adjustments himself, he's going to go through some slumps but I'd bet greg's house that he figures it out as well.

Unless he gets in his own head his swing is too pure and too quick to ever go through a prolonged batting average slump. I think even in his "down" years he'll hit 280 as long as he doesn't suffer a major lower body issue that saps his speed and explosion.

What more can be said about this kid so far?

I think almost all of us agree that his lack of willingness to take an ocassional base on balls is a concern. However, there is a nuanced point, which should be mentioned.

In addition to having a "quick" bat, and exceptional speed, his ability to take outside pitches to right field, should afford him the ability to get a lot of base hits on balls which are not necessarily strikes. Unlike a power hitter, who tries to pull every pitch, a hitter who is willing to go the other way, can be very successful, swinging at outside pitches.

A hitter's ability to expand the strike zone, and hit outside pitches, with good results, can be a tremendous advantage. It takes away one of the important pitches, which a pitcher can employ to get a hitter out. Therefore, while he still needs to have enough plate discipline to avoid swinging at everything, that does not necessarily mean that he must limit himself to swinging only at strikes. In the limited opportunity that I've had to observe him, Anderson does seem to lay off really bad pitches. He has gotten several base hits to right field, on outside pitches. As long as he continues to avoid "rolling over" on the outside pitches, and maintains his "inside out" swing, with the hands before the barrel of the bat, he may not need to alter anything.

I must admit that I am very impressed with his ability. So far, he is much better than the scouting reports, especially on defense. I hope that the coaching staff doesn't try to get him to alter his approach. Until he demonstrates that he is hurting himself, why not let him stick with what seems to be working for him?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
If Anderson keeps it up I would love to see the Sox lock him up sometime before the start of '18.

They have control of him for a long time. No need to lock him up yet.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
"keeps it up" has to be at least 1.5 full seasons.

Yes, there's just no way of telling if he's going to be great or not. So far he's been great except for the walks. Once he hits a slump, that's not going to help any.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
guy continues to be unbelievable...

Always happy when this gets bumped back up. Can't say say enough how much something very positive needs to be reinforced in peoples minds. It's just so easy to focus on the negative. Anderson being the Anderson he is right now for the rest of the season goes a very long way in improving the Sox both offensively and (surprise!) defensively. Then if Morneau can hit the Sox might become adequate offensively. Adding a bat like Cargo becomes less important and focusing on the bullpen should become the priority. Ynoa, Beck and Albers just won't cut it the rest of the way.

Would be more than happy adding Reddick too since Hahn said Morneau was just insurance and he'd still be looking for a bat. I just don't think the Sox have enough bullets to add 2 BP pieces and a bat when they have to compete with the rest of MLB for said pieces.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Beltran would seem to be more likely.

Or Bruce.

Knocking the Yankees back would be helpful to their own chances of picking from their roster. The Yankees just aren't getting a cohesive attack from that combination of all those veteran hitters in the middle of their order. And their starting pitching after CC and Tanaka has been a complete mess. Eovaldi, with all his talent, is close to being banished to the bullpen. Pineda might belong there as well. If one or both of those elements (middle of order/starting pitching 3-5) don't come together soon, they'll have to sell.

I'm so happy we kept him and didn't move him for CarGo or Cespedes last season. Kid is going to be a star. Now can Hahn fill in the piece around Sale, Q, Rodon, Anderson, Eaton and Abreu? Frazier is heating up and Lawries been a fine addition. Shields is pitching ok now in three consecutive starts. Gonzalez has been solid. Bullpen has been ok with the exception of injuries and inconsistency. We'll see how Morneau does. I'm a lot more optimistic than I was two weeks ago. They're scoring runs, playing good defense and pitching well. Reinforcements are on the way. I know I've been banging the sell drum but I like winning better. I just don't know if we have enough to get the couple players we need. But I love watching Anderson on a daily basis. He's a breath of fresh air considering this organizations inability to develop hitters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Beltran would seem to be more likely.

Or Bruce.

Knocking the Yankees back would be helpful to their own chances of picking from their roster. The Yankees just aren't getting a cohesive attack from that combination of all those veteran hitters in the middle of their order. And their starting pitching after CC and Tanaka has been a complete mess. Eovaldi, with all his talent, is close to being banished to the bullpen. Pineda might belong there as well. If one or both of those elements (middle of order/starting pitching 3-5) don't come together soon, they'll have to sell.

We're not getting Bruce. We couldn't get a deal done for Frazier with Cincy alone. Not sure they like our prospects. Maybe Rabbit can shed a little light on it.

Bruce has been cooling down a bit recently (he's still at an 854 OPS) and he's terrible defensively in RF, so he should only be targeted by AL teams looking for a DH.

That lowers his market significantly.

The Rangers could use an improvement on Cecil Fielder, but they're pretty much stuck with that contract. Also not sure about Josh Hamilton's status.

KC is looking for another OF with pop. Morales has really come around the last month and has been their best hitter.

Boston, Toronto, Detroit and Cleveland are set at DH.

Houston might be looking for another bat as well, especially if AJ Reed doesn't stick.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting?posi...S&minpa=150

Plus, Beltran can play RF/LF much more passably. Even CF, in a pinch.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Bruce has been cooling down a bit recently (he's still at an 854 OPS) and he's terrible defensively in RF, so he should only be targeted by AL teams looking for a DH.

That lowers his market significantly.

The Rangers could use an improvement on Cecil Fielder, but they're pretty much stuck with that contract. Also not sure about Josh Hamilton's status.

KC is looking for another OF with pop. Morales has really come around the last month and has been their best hitter.

Boston, Toronto, Detroit and Cleveland are set at DH.

Houston might be looking for another bat as well, especially if AJ Reed doesn't stick.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting?posi...S&minpa=150

Plus, Beltran can play RF/LF much more passably. Even CF, in a pinch.

I brought up Beltran in April. Wonder what his price would be? They're not moving Miller but Betances would be a dream. Would have to give up a lot for Betances and Beltran that's IF they'd move him. Chapman is there too. He's a FA so it's a realistic rental. Imagine a Jones, Robertson, Chapman pen or Jones, Robertson and Chapman.

Not sure what the packages would be for either. Ideally you'd love to get a package of Beltran and one of those big arms. Kill two birds with one stone (pen arm and LHB).