Tim Anderson

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
Beltran would seem to be more likely.

Or Bruce.

Knocking the Yankees back would be helpful to their own chances of picking from their roster. The Yankees just aren't getting a cohesive attack from that combination of all those veteran hitters in the middle of their order. And their starting pitching after CC and Tanaka has been a complete mess. Eovaldi, with all his talent, is close to being banished to the bullpen. Pineda might belong there as well. If one or both of those elements (middle of order/starting pitching 3-5) don't come together soon, they'll have to sell.

The Sox front office has to look beyond just making the playoffs since adding a DH only bat will hurt in a World Series. That's why I mention Reddick even if it means having to move Eaton back to CF . Melky would still have to play left in a World Series but can DH during the rest of the season if the Sox want to go with an OF of Reddick Ajax and Eaton . Or they can go after LuCroy . Both probably get snatched up by teams with better packages to but those guys are best case scenario for the Sox having a chance beyond just making the playoffs.

Someone like David Peralta of the D'Backs would be great to platoon with Ajax since he kills righties and is having a down year after his breakout year in 2015. He will be coming off the DL soon after back problems have limited his playing time. He's 28 and only had one good year so he's cheap but a bit older . He has played some CF just not sure how much speed he has or how good he is there or in the corners where he mostly plays. Maybe the D'Backs make him available. He has decent LH pop. Ajax can then become the late inning defensive OF we need desperately.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
The Sox front office has to look beyond just making the playoffs since adding a DH only bat will hurt in a World Series. That's why I mention Reddick even if it means having to move Eaton back to CF . Melky would still have to play left in a World Series but can DH during the rest of the season if the Sox want to go with an OF of Reddick Ajax and Eaton . Or they can go after LuCroy . Both probably get snatched up by teams with better packages to but those guys are best case scenario for the Sox having a chance beyond just making the playoffs.

Someone like David Peralta of the D'Backs would be great to platoon with Ajax since he kills righties and is having a down year after his breakout year in 2015. He will be coming off the DL soon after back problems have limited his playing time. He's 28 and only had one good year so he's cheap but a bit older . He has played some CF just not sure how much speed he has or how good he is there or in the corners where he mostly plays. Maybe the D'Backs make him available. He has decent LH pop. Ajax can then become the late inning defensive OF we need desperately.

What about Reddick to LF and Melky DH? That is if Morneau isn't tearing the cover off the ball. Reddick has been the guy for me since April.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
What about Reddick to LF and Melky DH? That is if Morneau isn't tearing the cover off the ball. Reddick has been the guy for me since April.

Isn't that what I said ? But I also said in a World Series either Melky or Reddick or Ajax goes to the bench in games without the DH and Eaton goes to CF. Would hate moving Eaton to CF after having him play a premier RF all year.

Anyway, I mentioned Peralta because if he is a decent CF he could move Ajax to 4th OFer against lefties and he is a good LH bat if his injuries are behind him and he is ultimately more obtainable over guys like Beltran and Bruce both of whom would not be ideal to stick in the OF. Much prefer a LH younger athletic type OF with decent pop who could turn Jackson into a late inning OF replacemrnt which we have lacked all year . Maybe Peralta turns out to be a 1 year wonder but he still crushes righties. I just have no idea how good he is in CF but he's gotta be a better OF than either Beltran or Bruce and Eaton then stays in RF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Beltran and Chapman are both rentals so I think we could get them. Just depends on what the trade market looks like. We'd have to sweep them this series obviously to put a dent in their wild card chances. It would essentially gut the farm of whatever we have left not considering the guys we just drafted.

Jones/Robertson/Chapman would be a pretty good back end. Duke and Gonzalez in middle relief should be enough for the playoffs.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
Isn't that what I said ? But I also said in a World Series either Melky or Reddick or Ajax goes to the bench in games without the DH and Eaton goes to CF. Would hate moving Eaton to CF after having him play a premier RF all year.

Anyway, I mentioned Peralta because if he is a decent CF he could move Ajax to 4th OFer against righties and he is a good LH bat if his injuries are behind him and he is ultimately more obtainable over guys like Beltran and Bruce both of whom would not be ideal to stick in the OF. Much prefer a LH younger athletic type OF with decent pop who could turn Jackson into a late inning OF replacemrnt which we have lacked all year . Maybe Peralta turns out to be a 1 year wonder but he still crushes righties. I just have no idea how good he is in CF but he's gotta be a better OF than either Beltran or Bruce and Eaton then stays in RF.

I'm sorry you did. I thought Jackson wasn't in there my bad.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
Beltran and Chapman are both rentals so I think we could get them. Just depends on what the trade market looks like. We'd have to sweep them this series obviously to put a dent in their wild card chances. It would essentially gut the farm of whatever we have left not considering the guys we just drafted.

There is going to be a huge interest in Chapman. Red Sox , Rangers, Dodgers all have deep systems . Sox just got nothing to offer that wouldn't put a huge dent in an already pretty barren system.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
I'm sorry you did. I thought Jackson wasn't in there my bad.

Jackson also most likely won't be there next year so getting a controllable guy like Peralta is something Hahn has to take into consideration. Just depends on if he can play CF good enough to stick there since I have no idea.

If he can he helps out this year and next in many different ways.

1. Adds LH pop to the lineup this year and beyond when we lose Jackson and Morneau.

2. Allows Eaton and Melky to stay in their ideal positions.

3. Helps the bench by adding Jackson to it as a PH , PR, defensive replacement and platoon partner against left handers

4. Should cost less to obtain thus perserving more minor league depth than Reddick, Beltran, Bruce, Braun , Gardner and Myers

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Jackson also most likely won't be there next year so getting a controllable guy like Peralta is something Hahn has to take into consideration. Just depends on if he can play CF good enough to stick there since I have no idea.

1. Adds LH pop to the lineup this year and beyond when we lose Jackson and Morneau.

3. Helps the bench by adding Jackson to it as a PH , PR, defensive replacement and platoon partner against left handers

4. Should cost less to obtain thus perserving more minor league depth than Reddick, Beltran, Bruce, Braun , Gardner and Myers

Peralta from who the Diamondbacks?

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)

I am down w David Peralta but he's going to be much more expensive than you seem the think.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
Peralta from who the Diamondbacks?

Yes David Peralta who bats LH is 28 had a breakout year last year but regressed this year and will be coming off the DL soon from back problems. It's not like he is that young or even that established, just had the one good year last year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
I am down w David Peralta but he's going to be much more expensive than you seem the think.

Maybe, hard to tell how much the D'Backs value him. He doesn't hit lefties very well and maybe that one good year was a fluke . After all he was 27 years old in 2015 so it's not like he will be a surefire All-Star type player for years to come. Plus the Sox seem to have a good trading rapport with the Snakes.

AJ Pollock was the primary reason the DBacks parted with Eaton, FWIW.

Still not so sure you aren't undervaluing Peralta, though. How much would it cost for us to reacquire a 31 year old Junior Guerra, right now?

Not sure his age makes a "must trade" as long as he's still in the prime of his career. Plus, the DBacks have been seriously disappointed with Yasmani Tomas. If anything's on the block, it's that big Cuban contract.

Remember, those trades for guys like Eaton/Carter were under a different regime...not LaRussa/Stewart. Plus they took a TON of criticism for the Shelby Miller deal, in terms of the young talent they surrendered. They're going to be wary of committing the same type of mistake, undervaluing young(ish) talent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
AJ Pollock was the primary reason the DBacks parted with Eaton, FWIW.

Still not so sure you aren't undervaluing Peralta, though. How much would it cost for us to reacquire a 31 year old Junior Guerra, right now?

Not sure his age makes a "must trade" as long as he's still in the prime of his career. Plus, the DBacks have been seriously disappointed with Yasmani Tomas. If anything's on the block, it's that big Cuban contract.

Remember, those trades for guys like Eaton/Carter were under a different regime...not LaRussa/Stewart. Plus they took a TON of criticism for the Shelby Miller deal, in terms of the young talent they surrendered. They're going to be wary of committing the same type of mistake, undervaluing young(ish) talent.

He's probably also the reason they parted with Ender Inciarte also. So yeah not sure they want to give up another OF . Just spitballing ideas and throwing out a different name people haven't suggested.

I would like to see us go after Kole Calhoun. Even though his defense have been apparently down, the dude is still on pace for a 3.5 WAR season for the 3rd straight year. Lefty, 20 HR bat, normally plays a good RF, below average K rate, is walking about 9% in addition to hitting .283.

Problem is that he is under team control for 3 1/2 more years. Only a "problem" because it drives his price up due to the fact that the Angels had no real reason to need to trade him.

Returning to the thread topic; Anderson is a revelation for me. He has so much more baseball ability than I anticipated. I had this mistaken notion that he was a great athlete, but very raw, in terms of his baseball skills. All of those scouting reports, which described his defense as being questionable, and his alleged lack of plate discipline, had me thinking that he would be over matched by Big League pitchers.

He has so much more range at short, and so much more power at the plate, than I expected. He just may be a 5 tool player. When you consider how young he is, and that he has only recently begun to concentrate on baseball, after playing mostly basketball, you have to be excited about his future.

The issue of plate discipline is interesting. He has continued his pattern of not taking walks. However, he doesn't seem to swing and miss, at a lot of bad pitches.

He may simply be one of those aggressive hitters, who likes to swing at strikes, early in the count. That is not an entirely bad approach. While you don't see that many pitches, you do have a better chance to swing at a more hittable pitch, by not waiting around until you get behind in the count. Hawk brought up an interesting point, during the Houston series. He pointed out that since starters only go 6 or 7 innings, before automatically turning it over to the bullpen, there really isn't that great of an advantage of trying to run up the pitch count.

I pointed out, in a previous post, that there are a lot of very hittable pitches, outside the strike zone, providing that the hitter doesn't try to do too much. If a hitter is willing to take an outside pitch to the opposite field, there is nothing wrong with swinging at it.

Well, just a few observations, but at least we're back on the topic of Tim Anderson.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Too early to start talking about rookie of the year for Timmy?? Who would be up against him for the award this year if he is in the running for it at the end?

Michael Fulmer is probably the frontrunner right now, followed by Nomar Mazara. Then you have guys like Tyler Naquin, Hyun Soo Kim, Max Kepler, Whit Merrifield and Dae-Ho Lee. AJ Reed just came up, but he has the ability to win it too. Anderson is already among the rookie leaders in WAR though.

Edited by OmarComing25

.418 BABIP. He's fast and he hits grounders, but that is still sky high. The 33:1 K/BB thing isn't gonna work forever. Also, his presence at leadoff has caused Adam Eaton to decide he should be bunting all the f***ing time, which is so very irritating.

ALL THAT SAID, Anderson is incredibly exciting! I thought they rushed him up and he would flounder, but instead he immediately excelled and his defense has been outstanding. He doesn't have to hit like a stud if he continues to play a strong SS. I was wrong and it's just awesome to see the Sox call up a guy and have him do well.

Super nice start for Anderson. I don't mean to be a downer, but he is going to HAVE to learn to take a walk. He's currently at a 0.9% walk rate against a 30.8% K rate, and those numbers are both very bad. Right now he's doing enough damage on contact that it works, but that's not going to last. Couple reasons:

1. The BABIP is going to fall. He's currently sitting at a robust .418. Even a guy with his wheels that hits the ball hard will rarely be able to sustain .350 or so. Pull 60 points off that and he's suddenly a .260-270 hitter with a .280 OBP. Also, he's currently slugging .519. I believe he's got pop, but even a .450 SLG would be a great outcome for his profile.

2. We've seen it a million times -- pitchers adjust to guys in year two, and for free swingers that usually means throwing a bunch more pitches out of the strikezone. Right now, Anderson does NOT look like a guy that does well with junk pitches (a la Vlad or even Abreu when he's on). He's swinging at bad pitches at an Avisal-ian rate of 44.3% (league average is 30.3%), but only making contact with those pitches 57.3% of the time (league average is 62.5%).

I'm not ripping the guy -- I know he's a rookie with a ton of development ahead of him. But we should remember that that development IS still ahead, and we should steel ourselves for some bumps in the road. This current version of Tim Anderson is not the one that will go on to have a long, star-level career.