Prospect Reports from Winston-Salem w/ video

NorthSideSox72

I was down in North Carolina last week to catch games in Kannapolis and Winston-Salem. For each team, I'll post an article with observations on prospects I saw.

For the Winston-Salem game, I caught starter Spencer Adams, relievers Zack Burdi and Ryan Riga, and got BP and game at-bat looks from the whole lineup offense-wise. I also interviewed a bunch of the guys, but that will be a seperate article.

Here is the prospects report - check out the Adams parts. He is not the same guy, in terms of pitches, he was when he was drafted. That's good and bad.

That velocity drop is really discouraging. He is definitely a guy I look to move at the deadline to bolster the major league lineup. They have enough pitching here now and coming up after him to make him expendable and he still offers enough upside to get a nice piece back.

The velocity drop is semi-intentional. It was also expected in 2015. But here in his 2nd full season I expected some rebound, which so far hasn't been much.

He's still quite young, especially for that level. With his frame and age, some strength projection still exists, so the 4S velo could still come up. And the slider has plus potential. Ceiling is still a mid-rotation starter, but more likely he's a back end guy. Still plenty of width of outcomes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Yeah I read that just a minute ago. Velocity drops from HS pitchers in their development not the most fun thing to read. He basically sounds like Chris Beck...not very exciting.

This is not uncommon for a couple of years as some need to adjust to the workload. The famous example was Jon Garland whom the Cubs traded to the Sox partially due to his drop in velocity.

Great report as usual, North.

Not worried about Adams yet. Pleased that they smoothed out the delivery; he's learning 4 pitches (and has 2 of them down) and has excellent command. Low velocity will be problematic if it persists, but he's making excellent progress in other key areas.

I didn't realize that Cleuluis Rondon is still just 22 years old. I hope the Sox 1. Don't give up on him and 2. Don't insist on playing him above this level. I say that because the Sox, especially with players they seem to like, will often promote players in spite of either poor production or big warning signs at their previous level. This kid is just 22 and it makes sense to me to wait around and see if he can amass a good hitting line against lower-level pitching before pushing him up the ladder where he will inevitably perform poorly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I didn't realize that Cleuluis Rondon is still just 22 years old. I hope the Sox 1. Don't give up on him and 2. Don't insist on playing him above this level. I say that because the Sox, especially with players they seem to like, will often promote players in spite of either poor production or big warning signs at their previous level. This kid is just 22 and it makes sense to me to wait around and see if he can amass a good hitting line against lower-level pitching before pushing him up the ladder where he will inevitably perform poorly.

I agree with you. And as bad as his O is, it's actually improving (slowly).

The thing is, he's going to be a Rule 5 guy soon, isn't he. I realize no one would put him on their roster with his hitting in that shape (although with that elite D, you never know with a rebuilding team); but even if not Rule 5, perhaps one of those minor league free agents. Not sure how that works, although I think it has something to do with progression through minors and years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I agree with you. And as bad as his O is, it's actually improving (slowly).

The thing is, he's going to be a Rule 5 guy soon, isn't he. I realize no one would put him on their roster with his hitting in that shape (although with that elite D, you never know with a rebuilding team); but even if not Rule 5, perhaps one of those minor league free agents. Not sure how that works, although I think it has something to do with progression through minors and years.

They'd have to add him to the 40 man. I don't think that necessarily means he needs to be rushed to the next level. But yeah there's also the chance no one even claims him.

Rondon or Alvarez would be nice bench guys, 2-3 years from now...just not sure if the Sox have the patience to wait on their bats to come around. With the offensive challenges this organization faces, though, not sure that we could afford to give up that much OPS for defense-first players.

Then we have the "Carlos Sanchez/Saladino" problem...where a player gets stereotyped as a utility guy after a limited number of major league at-bats that aren't that success (500's OPS). The same thing more or less happened with Semien, and then Micah just didn't have the arm to play other positions other than second or he would have fallen into the same trap as well.

Leury Garcia's another obvious name that comes to mind. And Eduardo Escobar.

Guess it's not such a great thing to claim we specialize in developing "utility" infielders.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
Rondon or Alvarez would be nice bench guys, 2-3 years from now...just not sure if the Sox have the patience to wait on their bats to come around. With the offensive challenges this organization faces, though, not sure that we could afford to give up that much OPS for defense-first players.

Then we have the "Carlos Sanchez/Saladino" problem...where a player gets stereotyped as a utility guy after a limited number of major league at-bats that aren't that success (500's OPS). The same thing more or less happened with Semien, and then Micah just didn't have the arm to play other positions other than second or he would have fallen into the same trap as well.

Leury Garcia's another obvious name that comes to mind. And Eduardo Escobar.

Guess it's not such a great thing to claim we specialize in developing "utility" infielders.

They were earmarked for utility roles in the minors. This was based on scouting the tools and performances over the years, not based on the MLB play.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
They were earmarked for utility roles in the minors. This was based on scouting the tools and performances over the years, not based on the MLB play.

But that's the opposite of the way it SHOULD be.

The conventional school of thought is to keep every player who's capable at SS as long as possible...until a move off that position is inevitable, based on defensive issues or organizational depth.

And moving Semien around with that rationalization (that he was a utility player only) doesn't make any sense based on the last 1 1/2 seasons in Oakland, because he's putting up above-average AL positional numbers there.

Same thing with Saladino...after he struggled offensively and battled injuries, most felt he wasn't an everyday major league player. Then they basically gave him the 3B job last year, which he lost. They were apparently willing to give him the SS coming into this season before they added Rollins at the last second.