Chicago White Sox vs Minnesota Twins 6/28/2016

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
I'll be there tonight, Hoping for an offensive show behind another dominating Q start! :gosox1:

Offensive show and Q start typically don't belong in the same sentence. Hope you are right.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
8-4 going into the ASB starting today would continue their step in the right direction. Getting 3 wins in a row to start off the stretch would be very ideal.

I'd call it more likely than a Tim Anderson walk

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Indeed, to this point they have, and it needs to continue. They put themselves in this position.

You can't expect to go undefeated against any team, no matter how bad though.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Would be beneficial if Avi started to heat up were not on the roster and we had Bruce/Beltran/Cargo in that spot instead

I feel like we've been "waiting for Avi" as long as we've been trying to convince ourselves we were still right in the middle of the race last year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
I feel like we've been "waiting for Avi" as long as we've been trying to convince ourselves we were still right in the middle of the race last year.

Best thing Jake Peavy ever did for the White Sox is get them Avi Garcia.

Edited by Dick Allen

Not really. It was get them Top 100 prospect Frankie Montas, who got them Frazier (who has the same line statistically as Marcus Semien, roughly).

Avi has actually gotten in the way of this team moving forward, in the same way Beckham, Viciedo, Gillaspie, DeAza, Ramirez and Flowers did. The most dangerous word for fans is "potential," because it has never-ending shelf life for GM's to sell it. Little Miggy. 30/30 potential. Incredible athlete. Has the tools to play CF. Elite throwing arm. Brian Anderson is the next Torii Hunter if he could just hit 20 homers, etc. Chris Marquez, Nestor Molina, Zach Stewart and Matt Davidson will lead the Sox to the World Series.

Of course, "proven veteran performer" hasn't been comforting, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
Not really. It was get them Top 100 prospect Frankie Montas, who got them Frazier (who has the same line statistically as Marcus Semien, roughly).

Avi has actually gotten in the way of this team moving forward, in the same way Beckham, Viciedo, Gillaspie, DeAza, Ramirez and Flowers did. The most dangerous word for fans is "potential," because it has never-ending shelf life for GM's to sell it. Little Miggy. 30/30 potential. Incredible athlete. Has the tools to play CF. Elite throwing arm. Brian Anderson is the next Torii Hunter if he could just hit 20 homers, etc. Chris Marquez, Nestor Molina, Zach Stewart and Matt Davidson will lead the Sox to the World Series.

How long did the Royals wait on Gordon?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
How long did the Royals wait on Gordon?

Gordon was the #1 overall pick in the country and consensus player of the year. The closest to that pedigree is/was Beckham, and I guess Viciedo's huge signing bonus at that time made him "can't miss" although we now know not all the Cubans have the stuff to make it.

And Gordon would have been a failure had he not been willing to go down to AAA, completely reinvent his game as a LFer with Rusty Kuntz and persevere (all in the face of hometown fans in Nebraska/KC who expected him to be the next George Brett).

Indians up 2-0 over the Braves already after the top of the 1st...big surprise there. Don't see them touching up Kluber with how he's been pitching recently.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)

Avi had a hit tool that played in the minors, much like Anderson at every level he was able to hit 280 or higher. With Avi it was more impressive because of his age. The rest of his tools didn't translate but you could hand wave it away with "he's young for the league".

Well, he stalled. But when he was aquired there were legit saber and scouting reasons to be excited for him. The same was true of Viciedo.

This guys just have not developed. Given the Sox' complete lack of position player development the finger might be pointed not at the scouts that said "get this guy" but the coaches and instructors that were not able to mold that clay. Now obviously some guys won't ever develop no matter how great the coaching but I'm not sure that's the case with Avi. I think poor coaching and instruction has held him back, Viciedo and Beckham as well.

I mean Avi put up a 312 average in 200+ PA at AA as a 19/20 year old. That's pretty much elite hit tool for that age.

That he hasn't produced anything close to a 270 average in a full season in MLB since becoming a Sox is damning imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I hear what you're saying, but the Tigers are nearly elite judges of offensive talent.

They called Victor Martinez right, twice. Have stuck with Castellanos when he seemed like a bust. Identified JD Martinez. Identified Kinsler as a veteran who would still be an impact player. (Granted, Justin Upton, for the moment, looks like a huge debacle but he's been hitting much better recently.)

If they really saw something in him, anything like future Miggy Cabrera levels of production, there's no way they would have included him in that package for Jake Peavy.