Matt Davidson getting called up

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Many on this site and over at Future Sox care way too much about strikeout rate. It's like people constantly focus on it and ignore the positives with guys. It's always, "Yeah but that K rate". Kris Bryant had a 30% K rate last year in the majors and was consistently in the mid 20's in the minors. Matt Davidson obviously isn't Kris Bryant.

The k rate is fine if you do other things. Davidson hadn't. This year he is doing a bit better, but it is his 4th season in AAA. I don't know what was very positive about Matt Davidson and his bat the previous 2 seasons in Charlotte.

It would be a miracle if he could contribute.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Many on this site and over at Future Sox care way too much about strikeout rate. It's like people constantly focus on it and ignore the positives with guys. It's always, "Yeah but that K rate". Kris Bryant had a 30% K rate last year in the majors and was consistently in the mid 20's in the minors. Matt Davidson obviously isn't Kris Bryant.

To me, the K rate isn't important in itself. High K rate in the minors can be indicative of success with contact in the MLB.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Davidson seems to me to be a guy that will do better in the majors than the minors. I have no rationale as to why but I think he will perform better. If he can play first base that would be huge because Abreu is an absolute butcher over there.

Totally agree. Maybe something to do with guys being too wild in the minors and forcing too much just to get hits

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
The k rate is fine if you do other things. Davidson hadn't. This year he is doing a bit better, but it is his 4th season in AAA. I don't know what was very positive about Matt Davidson and his bat the previous 2 seasons in Charlotte.

It would be a miracle if he could contribute.

This exactly. He could be OK against lefties, but how many of them do you face?

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
Hope the kid does well and then they can s***can Garcia.

We'll see.

Mark

That's the ideal scenario. I want Davidson to hit so once people get healthy and somebody has to go to Charlotte, it can finally be Avi.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
That's the ideal scenario. I want Davidson to hit so once people get healthy and somebody has to go to Charlotte, it can finally be Avi.

They currently have 4 available outfielders

Eaton

Shuck

coats

Garcia

They can't send him down until they are sure Cabrera is healthy, even then having only 4 outfielders is tricky.

i don't think they can send him down until Jackson is ready. At that time it will be who is more effective, coats or Garcia.

The bigger question is who they send down when Morneau is ready. The infielders are:

Abreu

Lawrie

Anderson

Frazier

Saladino

Davidson

With the way the bullpen is being worked due to the starters pitching short games, I'm not sure they can send a bullpen arm down.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)

Eaton

Shuck

coats

Garcia

They can't send him down until they are sure Cabrera is healthy, even then having only 4 outfielders is tricky.

i don't think they can send him down until Jackson is ready. At that time it will be who is more effective, coats or Garcia.

The bigger question is who they send down when Morneau is ready. The infielders are:

Abreu

Lawrie

Anderson

Frazier

Saladino

Davidson

With the way the bullpen is being worked due to the starters pitching short games, I'm not sure they can send a bullpen arm down.

It's tough to imagine Davidson staying once Morneau is ready. If he manages to make enough of an impression that it's a tougher call, that'll be a good problem to have.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)

Eaton

Shuck

coats

Garcia

Abreu

Lawrie

Anderson

Frazier

Saladino

Davidson

I'd send him down and bring Leury Garcia up. At least Leury can steal a bag.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
To me, the K rate isn't important in itself. High K rate in the minors can be indicative of success with contact in the MLB.

You're one of my favorite posters on this site, but the bolded just isn't true. Find me a guy who consistently struck out 30% of the time in AAA (for more than a very brief stint) that had ANY real success in the majors hitting-wise. There might be an outlier here or there, but few or none.

I agree that K-rate is silly to get too hung up on if we're talking 18 vs 20%, or the like. But at 30% that's a big red flag.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Davidson getting thrown right into the fire. I have a strong feeling that he takes Milone deep this afternoon.

Also, Purke needs to be DFA'd. Dude is a bum with underwhelming stuff and no ability to locate his pitches.

No reason to DFA a guy you can option.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
Get rid of Lawrie? What in the actual f***? LOL#HotTake

I just want Saladino in the lineup. I don't despise Lawrie, but Saladino can't play outfield. Frazier or Davidson at third, the other one DH; Anderson at short, Saladino at second and Abreu at first.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
This move is a bit of desperation .. Davidson at his best will come up at hit ...240 and provide some power. Any extended stay and he'll be absolutely

Hopefully h'll hit like 3 dingers this week.. much rather see May

.240 isn't bad nowadays. Isn't baseball just full of .240 to .260 hitters in the post steroid era?