Red Sox busted for International signings violations

GGajewski18

Anyone else see this Boston Red Sox news? They have been banned from signing any international talent for 2016-2017. Also, they had 5 contracts voided

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 4m4 minutes ago

Source: Red Sox have been banned from signing int'l amateurs in 2016-17, had five prospect contracts voided. News:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

Albert Guaimaro and Simon Muzziotti, two Red Sox prospects declared free agents, are quite highly regarded. They can sign anywhere now.

I was just actually reading about this on twitter

‏@JeffPassan

Boston was limited to a $300,000 per-player max because it had exceeded spending limits. It still wanted to sign top prospects, though.

‏@JeffPassan

So, in the case of Albert Guaimaro, Boston paid $300K ... and also paid $300K and $200K for two lesser prospected repped by the same agent.

@JeffPassan

The agent then redistributed the money, with most of it going to Guaimaro and the other players getting an opportunity with the Red Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
That is two years of zero signings internationally.

I stand by what I said.

If you're going to so blatantly try and circumvent the rules like that, a Wilder-esque hammer should come down on your org.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
I stand by what I said.

If you're going to so blatantly try and circumvent the rules like that, a Wilder-esque hammer should come down on your org.

Did MLB actually punish the White Sox? I honestly can't recall that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Did MLB actually punish the White Sox? I honestly can't recall that.

Nah, I meant in regards to "it should have that type of impact". I dunno if only two years will or not.

Like that's so hysterically dirty by the Red Sox.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
Nah, I meant in regards to "it should have that type of impact". I dunno if only two years will or not.

Like that's so hysterically dirty by the Red Sox.

Yeah, I would have rather seen the ban happen in 17/18 when they get off of their cap overage penalty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Yeah, I would have rather seen the ban happen in 17/18 when they get off of their cap overage penalty.

Honestly, do it four years.

Really hit home that "skimming and moving money via third parties because you previously overspent is bulls***"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
That is two years of zero signings internationally.

Seems minimal in the grand scheme of what they were doing (which was a total violation of the rules). I'd have nailed them for between 3-5 years.

MLB arranged a showcase workout for the five players this Tuesday in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to assist them in finding new teams.

Muzziotti hit .317 in the Dominican League and Guaimaro .253 with 12 extra-base hits.

Both are years away from the majors but considered good prospects.

The punishment was severe. Five Red Sox prospects were declared free agents Friday and the team is prohibited from signing any international amateur players until July 2, 2017. This is the first time MLB has taken players away from a team.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...cO6I/story.html

Happened under Cherington's watch. Nobody within the organization has been fired/reassigned as of yet.

Edited by caulfield12