Countdown to the Trade Deadline..

ChiSox59

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
You're not worried about burning trade value if you're trying to compete. Balta's point is a good one -- unless we're in a position to make a serious run, we should probably try to shore up in the offseason and take another shot.

If 2016 and 2017 both fail, I can definitely see a retool/rebuild in 2018.

That's why if we're not gona sell, we should try and land a cost controlled bat to make a run this year but also a serious run next year. The FA class sucks next season unless we get Reddick. Acquiring a guy like Lucroy should be what they do at this deadline. Doubt an Adams package gets it done. Probably have to give up Fulmer. That's if they like any of our prospects.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
SELL. SELL. SELL. Get rid of anybody not named Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Anderson.

What's the point of that?

Might as well go all in on a rebuild and trade Sale, Q, and Abreu along with everyone else not named Rodon and Anderson.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/7/5/12094...eadline-preview

Comprehensive trade deadline analysis.

Despite putting some hope on the field this season, Hahn's efforts seem disappointing at best for a fourth straight season. That doesn't mean the team couldn't turn it around however, though it would take some substantial moves. Those arrows just might not be in Hahn's quiver anymore. To worsen matters, the White Sox's run differential is in the negative and suggests a win-loss record closer to 41-42. But the trade deadline is less about doom and gloom and more about making bold moves, granting hope, and overcoming adversity.

CONCLUSION:

While the White Sox seemed poise to purchase at the deadline, staying put could also be an option. The addition of Morneau could help what ails them. Morneau just began a rehab assignment on his way back from a series of concussions that nearly forced his retirement. Further, Austin Jackson could help the outfield down the stretch, but that seems to be only in long-term plans and might not be worth waiting around for.

Instead, the White Sox could use some of their prospect depth to help now. Carson Fulmer is their best remaining prospect and is likely untouchable. Their other top-100 prospect, Anderson, has made himself entirely indispensable on the major league roster. The White Sox could still use some of their shallow farm to improve their bench situation though.

Edited by caulfield12

Really think adding just a quality bullpen arm (or two) is really all that is necessary.

A-Jax and Morneau should round out the lineup quite nicely. Looking at a line-up vs. RHP:

1. Anderson

2. Eaton

3. Jose

4. Frazier

5. Melky

6. Morneau

7. Lawrie

8. Avila/Navarro

9. A-Jax

This seems like a good enough line-up to me...no point giving up prospects for the likes of Bruce, Cargo etc.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 01:47 AM)
Really think adding just a quality bullpen arm (or two) is really all that is necessary.

A-Jax and Morneau should round out the lineup quite nicely. Looking at a line-up vs. RHP:

1. Anderson

2. Eaton

3. Jose

4. Frazier

5. Melky

6. Morneau

7. Lawrie

8. Avila/Navarro

9. A-Jax

This seems like a good enough line-up to me...no point giving up prospects for the likes of Bruce, Cargo etc.

Im kinda thinking this is the best plan of action. Bring Fulmer up in late July/early August and maybe Burdi if they are really in the playoff chase and then maybe bring in a RH platoon partner for Morneau. No massive upgrades, just small changes that could bolster the bench and pen.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
I'll take Blackmon and McGee from the Rockies and Norris from the Padres. All fit nicely into the 2016-2017 plan.

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Cabrera

Frazier

Blackmon

Lawrie

Morneau

Norris

I'd like the Blackmon/Mcgee trade, but I'd bat Blackmon first then and put Anderson in the 9 hole.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Lucroy is the person to add, he'd be a definitive upgrade that wouldn't take up a spot in the OF or the DH spot. The question is whether the White Sox have the pieces to put a package together to get him.

Brewers need a 3rd baseman bad since they have to rely on Will Middlebrooks and even Jake Elmore. If the Sox want to be bold they could offer Brett Lawrie or Saladino . If Brewers took Lawrie ,Saladino probably become starting 2nd baseman.

Of course doubtful Lawrie alone would do it.Maybe also offer Trey M.,Courtney Hawkins. Lucroy is signed through 2016 with an option for 2017 and is still cheap . Lawrie only signed through 2016 so Sox would be gaining the extra year and better player hence the need to give the Brewers some controllable pieces also. Saladino isn't arbitration eligible until 2019 so maybe Brewers would prefer him over Lawrie.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Brewers need a 3rd baseman bad since they have to rely on Will Middlebrooks and even Jake Elmore. If the Sox want to be bold they could offer Brett Lawrie or Saladino . If Brewers took Lawrie ,Saladino probably become starting 2nd baseman.

Of course doubtful Lawrie alone would do it.Maybe also offer Trey M.,Courtney Hawkins. Lucroy is signed through 2016 with an option for 2017 and is still cheap . Lawrie only signed through 2016 so Sox would be gaining the extra year and better player hence the need to give the Brewers some controllable pieces also. Saladino isn't arbitration eligible until 2019 so maybe Brewers would prefer him over Lawrie.

I doubt the Brewers want Lawrie. They drafted him and traded him. Saladino is just a guy. It would cost Fulmer + for Lucroy

Saladino may be an interesting piece for them. Doubt they'd have much interest in bringing Lawrie back into the organization. The Brewers time frame for contention is well outside of 2017, hence why they need to move Lucroy, but also why they probably won't be interested in Lawrie - in addition to the fact that they've been down that road already.

Lawrie has arbitration still in 2017 so he wont be a free agent till 2018. Anthing with lucroy would be starting with fulmer or anderson. Dont think sox are willing to give them up for a 1yr and half of control

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

The White Sox are in such an odd spot right now. They have a lame duck manager, are in the middle of an odd 3 year window that KW claimed last year (2015-17), are 7+ games behind the tough Indians, yet are only 2.5 games back in the wild card race. The question they need to ask themselves is-- can we win the World Series his year? As of right now, they are nowhere near better than Cleveland, so is it too risky to simply trade prospects just to go for a wildcard spot? A risk of losing pieces of the future for the possibility to get knocked out of a one game playoff game.

Or is it the plan to acquire a veteran that is locked up for the rest of 2016 and 17? A guy like CarGo or Bruce? The way I see it, Jackson and Morneau are one year rentals-- anything you get from them is a HUGE bonus to 2016. However, they need to have the mindset for the future as well. I'm all about retaining prospects and possibly even adding prospects this deadline. However, knowing KW and Hahn and seeing their patterns this season, I expect a HUGE deal made at the deadline that will likely sacrifice Fulmer, and possibly Spencer Adams. I'm calling it now, the White Sox will either acquire CarGo or Bruce right after the ASB.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I doubt the Brewers want Lawrie. They drafted him and traded him. Saladino is just a guy. It would cost Fulmer + for Lucroy

You're probably right. I don't think Fulmer should be considered untouchable . Cleveland also could target Lucroy since Yan Gomes has sucked bad this year and has more minor league bullets to offer. For the Sox to get Lucroy, Fulmer may be the only thing we have the Brewers would be interested in.

Maybe Fulmer, Saladino + then the Sox could get Pearce to be the new subersub/DH platoon with Morneu even though with the way Pearce has hit this year he should be in the lineup every day.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
You're probably right. I don't think Fulmer should be considered untouchable . Cleveland also could target Lucroy since Yan Gomes has sucked bad this year and has more minor league bullets to offer. For the Sox to get Lucroy, Fulmer may be the only thing we have the Brewers would be interested in.

I don't think Fulmer is untouchable either. I just don't know if I'd move him for 1.5 years of control. I'd rather target Derek Norris.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
I don't think Fulmer is untouchable either. I just don't know if I'd move him for 1.5 years of control. I'd rather target Derek Norris.

But that is 1.5 years of very cheap control. Also maybe the Sox could get Tyler Thornburg as a reliever from the Brewers . He has had a pretty good year.

While Norris is younger and has power the rest of his hitting this year has been sub par and we should be looking for an upgrade. He might make a good off season acquisition .

Can't see dumping Navarro or Avila for someone who might not be any better except for the occasional HR.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
The White Sox are in such an odd spot right now. They have a lame duck manager, are in the middle of an odd 3 year window that KW claimed last year (2015-17), are 7+ games behind the tough Indians, yet are only 2.5 games back in the wild card race. The question they need to ask themselves is-- can we win the World Series his year? As of right now, they are nowhere near better than Cleveland, so is it too risky to simply trade prospects just to go for a wildcard spot? A risk of losing pieces of the future for the possibility to get knocked out of a one game playoff game.

Or is it the plan to acquire a veteran that is locked up for the rest of 2016 and 17? A guy like CarGo or Bruce? The way I see it, Jackson and Morneau are one year rentals-- anything you get from them is a HUGE bonus to 2016. However, they need to have the mindset for the future as well. I'm all about retaining prospects and possibly even adding prospects this deadline. However, knowing KW and Hahn and seeing their patterns this season, I expect a HUGE deal made at the deadline that will likely sacrifice Fulmer, and possibly Spencer Adams. I'm calling it now, the White Sox will either acquire CarGo or Bruce right after the ASB.

I think you're probably right, but I bet they don't trade Fulmer. Spencer Adams very well may be traded.

If they get Jay Bruce, its definitely not going to be at the price of Fulmer. Adams is probably safe there too.

Maybe something crazy will happen, but remember this off season Cincy was so utterly uninterested in our second tier of prospects (we wouldn't trade them Anderson, Fulmer, etc) that we couldn't get a deal done for Frazier straight up. Nothing got done until Hahn enlisted the Dodgers. My guess is that the odds of a Bruce deal are slim to none.

My requisite post

The Sox will never get anywhere if they keep moving their better prospects for 1-2 year veterans who have reached peak. Yes, it will meet the Williams/Hahn mythical "3 (now 2) year window" and it obviously would excite fans. But the Sox won't win.

Some teams can do this sort of thing...those with stocked farms. The Sox system is thin, including, despite claims to the contrary, pitching.

Looking for a catcher is particularly bad idea, as the marginal value of a catcher upgrade isn't as great as, say, the marginal value of a hitter, but the cost would be much higher.