Chris Sale named to All-Star game

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
And while Quintana missing is ridiculous in it's own right, you knew he would get overlooked due to his W-L record.

Half of the relievers who got in over him don't deserve it. And Marco Estrada, and his 4.14 FIP?? Give me a break.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Half of the relievers who got in over him don't deserve it. And Marco Estrada, and his 4.14 FIP?? Give me a break.

Yeah, seemed like a lot of relievers, which makes sense if you're trying to win the game I guess. It's still bulls*** that a pitcher with the 5th highest fWAR in baseball doesn't get acknowledged as a "star", which is still the point of the game right?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Yeah, seemed like a lot of relievers, which makes sense if you're trying to win the game I guess. It's still bulls*** that a pitcher with the 5th highest fWAR in baseball doesn't get acknowledged as a "star", which is still the point of the game right?

Yeah, this qualifies for worst snub ever.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)

Or the point from the article (see below), that well-rounded players like Springer, Polanco and Marte lost out to bigger "name" guys like Carlos Beltran and CarGo. Pretty shocking Duval was picked, although they had to go with someone from CINCY and his stats look good on paper, especially for a youngster.

Seems the players mostly or completely ignored the concept of WAR and advanced stats completely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Or the point from the article (see below), that well-rounded players like Springer, Polanco and Marte lost out to bigger "name" guys like Carlos Beltran and CarGo. Pretty shocking Duval was picked, although they had to go with someone from CINCY and his stats look good on paper, especially for a youngster.

Seems the players mostly or completely ignored the concept of WAR and advanced stats completely.

Adam Duvall is probably one of the least shocking picks of all. Why? You perfectly explain it right after you call it pretty shocking.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
Quintana is a much bigger snub than Eaton. Especially considering the other pitchers that got in.

Has the fWAR leader for a position ever been left off?

(Quintana leads AL SP in fWAR, 5th in the league behind Kershaw, Syndergaard, Fernandez and Cueto)

Has one in that top-tier fWAR category ever had a losing record?

Just curious.

(Note: I'm not holding Jose personally responsible for the lack of Sox run support, don't want to argue that particular element of why he wasn't chosen.)

And there's still a 50/50 chance Yost will go with Q (because of the Davis injury). Is Sale even going to be able to pitch/start? He's pitching Friday still?

(Besides, it will give Q a lot more incentive the next time he faces Yost...so there's that, to prove him wrong.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Has the fWAR leader for a position ever been left off?

(Quintana leads AL SP in fWAR, 5th in the league behind Kershaw, Syndergaard, Fernandez and Cueto)

I'd have to imagine it's happened to a starting pitcher before, especially in the past. It's easy for a guy to pitch well, but have a little bad luck and a losing record and be overlooked.