Chris Sale named to All-Star game

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Or the point from the article (see below), that well-rounded players like Springer, Polanco and Marte lost out to bigger "name" guys like Carlos Beltran and CarGo. Pretty shocking Duval was picked, although they had to go with someone from CINCY and his stats look good on paper, especially for a youngster.

Seems the players mostly or completely ignored the concept of WAR and advanced stats completely.

CarGo is having a really f***ing good year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
CarGo is having a really f***ing good year.

See the CarGo notes in the Keith Law article above.

Polanco and Marte are much better all-around players, and not park-adjustment issues. Just read what Law wrote.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 28m28 minutes ago Bolingbrook, IL

What do Chris Sale, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander have in common?

They are only other active pitchers to be selected to five consecutive All-Star teams

I read this as Clayton Richard for a sec and got real confused.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
Sorry Q

Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 7m7 minutes ago

Corey Kluber is an All-Star. The Cleveland ace has been named as a replacement for Toronto's Marco Estrada (15-day DL).

If Q is somehow passed over for Davis' spot, Yost should be fired into a brick wall.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Sorry Q

Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 7m7 minutes ago

Corey Kluber is an All-Star. The Cleveland ace has been named as a replacement for Toronto's Marco Estrada (15-day DL).

This is going to be some nice bulletin board material for the clubhouse if he gets snubbed.

Would Q even be eligible for the AS game? I thought they had a rule about pitchers and how many days rest they got before the game. Like any starter pitching on Sunday wouldn't be eligible. Does that rule extend to Saturday as well?

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Would Q even be eligible for the AS game? I thought they had a rule about pitchers and how many days rest they got before the game. Like any starter pitching on Sunday wouldn't be eligible. Does that rule extend to Saturday as well?

I wondered the same thing. He'd be on two days rest. Seems to me he may not even be "sub" option, which sucks. Davis still has to be replaced. Unfortunately none of they other starters are slated to pitch on Sunday.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
I wondered the same thing. He'd be on two days rest. Seems to me he may not even be "sub" option, which sucks. Davis still has to be replaced. Unfortunately none of they other starters are slated to pitch on Sunday.

Which makes it even dumber that he wasn't named.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
Just the fact that Marco Estrada made it onto the team before Q should tell you a lot about how disrespected Quintana is.

According to fangraphs Quintana has the second highest WAR for pitchers in the AL at 3.1. So theoretically he is the second best pitcher in the AL by this measure.

Here is the conceptual problem I have with WAR.

Supposedly, WAR is Wins Above Replacement where the replacement is any guy from AAA. Let's use a decent pitcher like Scott Carroll. This stat tells me that the White Sox will only have 3 more win from the contributions of Quintana as opposed to Carroll.

Common sense wise that just doesn't make sense between a AAA pitcher and the second best pitcher in the AL.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
According to fangraphs Quintana has the second highest WAR for pitchers in the AL at 3.1. So theoretically he is the second best pitcher in the AL by this measure.

Supposedly, WAR is Wins Above Replacement where the replacement is any guy from AAA. Let's use a decent pitcher like Scott Carroll. This stat tells me that the White Sox will only have 3 more win from the contributions of Quintana as opposed to Carroll.

Common sense wise that just doesn't make sense between a AAA pitcher and the second best pitcher in the AL.

Until just recently, Q was #1 with Kluber being #2

(not disagreeing with the rest BTW, I think they need a new acronym for it so it's not taken as literally. Make it more akin to PER in the NBA where it boils down to higher number = better)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

Quintana is actually tied for 1st with Kluber at 3.1 fWAR. Kluber has the better FIP. Q has the better ERA. Both pitchers are better than Estrada though. It's not true that the replacement is any guy from AAA. Carroll over the course of a season starting would most likely be a -WAR player.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

I dont think WAR is defined as this though. Is it?

This is the NL, not AL, but Collins names Bartolo Colon to replace Bumgarner. 39th in the NL with 1.3 fWAR. I guess Collins didn't mind the lack of Home field advantage in the WS last year.

That led me to some perusing of Bartolo's career stats and I stumbled upon his 2005 Cy Young award.

2005 AL fWAR leaders for pitchers:

1. Johan Santana 7.1

2. Mark Buehrle 5.9

3. John Lackey 5.3

4. Randy Johnson 4.1

5. Bartolo Colon 4.1

6. Freddy Garcia 4.0

Santana: 16-7, 2.87 ERA, 0.971 WHIP, 231.2 IP, 238 K

Colon: 21-8, 3.48 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 222.2 IP, 157 K

Yet somehow Colon easily won the award and Santana was 3rd (behind Mo Rivera too). Looks like such a travesty now, I imagine the 21 wins were prioritized 11 years ago.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
I dont think WAR is defined as this though. Is it?

Here is the example from fangraphs:

“If this player got injured and their team had to replace them with a minor leaguer or someone from their bench, how much value would the team be losing?”

Here is the example from baseball reference:

Replacement level players, by their very definition, are players easy to obtain when a starter goes down. These are the players who receive non-roster invites at the start of the year, or the players who are 6-year minor league free agents.