White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

now

Source: MLB has cleared free-agent Cuban outfielder Luis Robert to sign with a club.

What is the time frame on this again? I was under the impression that it would be closer to June 15th until he signs. Is this like an any day type of thing?

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
What is the time frame on this again? I was under the impression that it would be closer to June 15th until he signs. Is this like an any day type of thing?

Any time he wants now. He would be motivated to sign sooner than wait for the next signing period since he can make more money so it would be before June 15th.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
Ok, so $h!t has officially gotten real? What do put our chances at him, 25%?

Tough break for the Sox that he got cleared early

But I will say it's about time we opened up the checkbook to get some talent in our system

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Tough break for the Sox that he got cleared early

But I will say it's about time we opened up the checkbook to get some talent in our system

You mean like winning the Abreu derby.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but how close is he supposed to be to the majors?

I haven't actually seen that estimated. He has not played that much so in my head he was more of a Soler track or optimistically Moncada.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but how close is he supposed to be to the majors?

Likely years away from the majors

He will need development time in the low minors to start with

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Prior to that Badler update, i'd have pegged us at like 20%. Now? Maybe 5-10%.

Sox seem to very much be in the mix

This seems to be a fish we need to reel in, and the organization knows it

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
Ok, so $h!t has officially gotten real? What do put our chances at him, 25%?

Yeah, Houston is probably the definitive favorite right now as he worked out for them and then "postponed" the rest of his work outs.

I think the Sox chance at Robert isn't great at this point as I anticipate that the price for him is going to well exceed what they are comfortable to dolling out. I can see him getting close to $35M which would end up costing the team $70M.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Yeah, Houston is probably the definitive favorite right now as he worked out for them and then "postponed" the rest of his work outs.

I think the Sox chance at Robert isn't great at this point as I anticipate that the price for him is going to well exceed what they are comfortable to dolling out. I can see him getting close to $35M which would end up costing the team $70M.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Houston the favorite

If he wants to get to the majors sooner, instead of later the White Sox offer potentially the fastest path

For all we know the Sox have been saving their money to make a run for Robert this whole time

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
I will be shocked if he gets $35 million. I think you guys are way overestimating this.

Yeah I don't think it'll get that crazy.

Edit: is he viewed the same as Moncada when Moncada came over? Where he was kind of like a must have, 5-tool player in the middle-infield who switch hits that every team should want. It doesn't really seem like it.

Edited by soxfan2014

If the Astros spent $35 million for Robert, that's $70 million, plus $15 million already taxed and spent, so an $85 million dollar international free agent spend. They increased payroll to $124 million, up 25% from last year.

I just don't buy it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
If the Astros spent $35 million for Robert, that's $70 million, plus $15 million already taxed and spent, so an $85 million dollar international free agent spend. They increased payroll to $124 million, up 25% from last year.

I just don't buy it.

I don't see Robert getting $35 million either

I can see $15-20 million (double for the average tax), but sinking $70 million into one young player is a ton of dough

Teams do have spending limitations and need to save for future flexibility