Baseball America Mock Draft 2.0

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-...UMGkKBkxSZIR.97

They have the Sox taking Louisville Prep OF Jordon Adell. Loaded with tools. Significant swing and miss issues though.

11. White Sox

The White Sox would snap up Gore if he fell this far, but that’s unlikely. An infusion of pitching talent in offseason trades gives the Sox the flexibility to go back to one of their favored phyla of talent, toolsy prep outfielders such as Louisville prep toolshed Jordan Adell.

Pick: Jordon Adell, of, Ballard HS, Louisville |

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)

They have the Sox taking Louisville Prep OF Jordon Adell. Loaded with tools. Significant swing and miss issues though.

11. White Sox

The White Sox would snap up Gore if he fell this far, but that’s unlikely. An infusion of pitching talent in offseason trades gives the Sox the flexibility to go back to one of their favored phyla of talent, toolsy prep outfielders such as Louisville prep toolshed Jordan Adell.

Speculation is that Minnesota wants to cut a deal at #1.

1. Twins-Brendan McKay LHP Louisville

2. Reds- Hunter Greene RHP California (HS)-Rumors that he wants to fall to SD at #3

3. San Diego- Royce Lewis SS/CF HS (California

4. Tampa Bay: Kyle Wright RHP Vandy

5. Atlanta: Austin Beck OF HS (North Carolina)

6. Oakland: JB Bukauskus RHP North Carolina

7. Arizona: MacKenzie Gore LHP HS (North Carolina)

8. Phillies: Pavin Smith 1B Virginia

9. Milwaukee: Jeren Kendall CF Vandy

10. Angels: Alex Faedo RHP Florida

11. White Sox: Jo Adell OF HS (Kentucky)

12. Pirates: Adam Haseley OF Virginia

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Speculation is that Minnesota wants to cut a deal at #1.

1. Twins-Brendan McKay LHP Louisville

2. Reds- Hunter Greene RHP California (HS)-Rumors that he wants to fall to SD at #3

3. San Diego- Royce Lewis SS/CF HS (California

4. Tampa Bay: Kyle Wright RHP Vandy

5. Atlanta: Austin Beck OF HS (North Carolina)

6. Oakland: JB Bukauskus RHP North Carolina

7. Arizona: MacKenzie Gore LHP HS (North Carolina)

8. Phillies: Pavin Smith 1B Virginia

9. Milwaukee: Jeren Kendall CF Vandy

10. Angels: Alex Faedo RHP Florida

11. White Sox: Jo Adell OF HS (Kentucky)

12. Pirates: Adam Haseley OF Virginia

That's the guy I have my eye on. Hoping he's there at #11, guy has been MASHING.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
That's the guy I have my eye on. Hoping he's there at #11, guy has been MASHING.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing the Sox pass on Hasely for Adell when Adell has some legitimate concerns around his bat to ball skills. Haseley is trending similar to the way Benitendi did when he was drafted.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Yeah, I have a hard time seeing the Sox pass on Hasely for Adell when Adell has some legitimate concerns around his bat to ball skills. Haseley is trending similar to the way Benitendi did when he was drafted.

Yeah especially considering their new approach to drafting "baseball players", it would make way to much sense to take him.

I feel like Adell is a Pirates pick and one they'll have success with. Feel the opposite for him with Sox. Definitely talented and the type of player you would hope to be able to take a chance on, but I'd prefer Haseley or one of the college pitchers.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)

Do you think he'll still be around at #11 though the way he is trending? Would be a nice pickup. Agreed definitely don't need any more strikeout prone players.

QUOTE (Dunning White Sox @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Do you think he'll still be around at #11 though the way he is trending? Would be a nice pickup. Agreed definitely don't need any more strikeout prone players.

From what's been reported recently it's been mentioned that he could be working his way into the top 10 with how well he's been playing. At this point it's still probably tough to say, but I sure hope he's around.

Adell does have superstar potential though. Haseley doesn't. It's a risk/reward thing. They need some of these guys. They placed an emphasis on on-base types who didn't strikeout a ton in the previous draft. I don't think that means they shy away from "athletes" though. Hostetler comes from the Schuerholz school of scouting that focuses on power pitching and athletes at premium positions.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
I would like for them to continue to draft "Collins like" hitters if possible. High OBP guys that have natural offensive ability as opposed to raw talent banking on their high upside as the payoff.

The issue with this is that you may wind up with bunch of the same type of hitters and have issues like the A's of the early Beane era. You'll have a bunch of guys on base but not much power and no speed so it takes 2 hits and a walk to score. Also no one is stellar on defense anywhere. This plays well throughout the 162 but gets stopped in the playoffs when better pitching doesn't give up that many hits and walks.

Teams need the high strikeout/high power guys to score on a single mistake.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
The issue with this is that you may wind up with bunch of the same type of hitters and have issues like the A's of the early Beane era. You'll have a bunch of guys on base but not much power and no speed so it takes 2 hits and a walk to score. Also no one is stellar on defense anywhere. This plays well throughout the 162 but gets stopped in the playoffs when better pitching doesn't give up that many hits and walks.

Teams need the high strikeout/high power guys to score on a single mistake.

This is a team that needs to rebuild from the draft just as badly as it needs to make trades that land top prospects back. I am not saying to use this strategy of drafting forever but at least to make sure you stock pile the guys that are safer bets at this point in your rebuild. Hoping on a whim and a prayer with these athletically gifted raw talent guys have not worked for the Sox, like at all.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
This is a team that needs to rebuild from the draft just as badly as it needs to make trades that land top prospects back. I am not saying to use this strategy of drafting forever but at least to make sure you stock pile the guys that are safer bets at this point in your rebuild. Hoping on a whim and a prayer with these athletically gifted raw talent guys have not worked for the Sox, like at all.

True. But eventually the Sox will need this type of player. Since they take longer to develop, if they have a shot at one they really like they should do it. They can't go so conservative that they miss out on a really good player just because they've picked the wrong ones in the past.

This is why they get paid the big bucks.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
True. But eventually the Sox will need this type of player. Since they take longer to develop, if they have a shot at one they really like they should do it. They can't go so conservative that they miss out on a really good player just because they've picked the wrong ones in the past.

This is why they get paid the big bucks.

I'm torn between logically agreeing with you but also being equally as nervous as shipps about actually trying to develop a hitter like Adell.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
Can we please stay away from "Significant swing and miss issues"

Yeah, not to discount Manuel's selection but swing and miss issues goes directly against the recent draft philosophy change to more polished hitters with OBP potential.

Edited by BlackSox13

I think you would be hard pressed to find a sky-high ceiling HS hitter that didn't have some swing and miss concerns they are few and far between. There is certainly risk in a guy like Adell, but those risky HS players are also a teams best chance to get a superstar talent (other than signing a young Cuban defector). You can't draft Mike Trout or Clayton Kershaw if you don't draft those high risk HS players. The team has some risk assessment they need to conduct on players like Adell. Though, if they do sign Robert, that would allow them to play it a little safer with a guy like Haseley, or having two guys like that (Robert and Adell) kind of acts as a little bit of a hedge against the Jared Mitchell risk (gosh he was the worst. A high risk college bat? Yikes. Trout being taken 2 picks later in that draft is really a kick in the head).

**edit**

Wow, looking back on that draft, after Strasburg, it was really a disaster. No one else in the top 15 picks really became impact players (Sorry Mike Leake!)

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)

11. White Sox

LOL at the draftniks who want us to lose so we get this guy. Why not just trade for KC's Bubba Starling while you're at it.