2014 Ryder Cup Thread

daa84

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
I'll watch, but I can't say I'm expecting much from the US team this time. Hopefully it's close going into singles on Sunday morning.

Yeah, the Europeans are heavy favorites for sure. Even with a U.S. team fully healthy we would be underdogs. Who knows what till happen though, always seems like the best players don't always play the best in match play

Let's do a separate thread.

A buddy of mine is having watch parties every day from 2 AM to noon, but that's a little aggressive for me. Everyone is writing the Americans off, but match play is so different, they still have a chance. Each hole only counts as one no matter how bad you play or how well they play it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Friday AM four-ball pairings:

1) Simpson/Watson vs Rose/Stenson

2) Fowler/Walker vs Bjorn/Kaymer

3) Reed/Speith vs Gallacher/Poulter

4) Bradley/Mickelson vs Garcia/McIlroy

Not playing: Furyk, Johnson, Kuchar, Mahan, Donaldson, Dubuisson, McDowell, Westwood

after thinking about this whole thing more, im not so convinced that its a slam dunk for the europeans....average world rank of US team is 16, average for european team is 20

Obviously McIlroy will be favored in any matchup he is in, but eventually Ian Poulter will start playing like Ian Poulter at every other non-ryder cup event. Rose/Stenson is certainly tough, but itll depend on which Bubba shows up.

Its very interesting to me that Watson is saving his more consistent, conservative players (Johnson, Furyk, Kuchar) for fourball, and has his "wild cards" who can get hot in foursomes (Phil, Fowler, Bubba, Bradley - though in fairness those four will probably play the afternoon too). I wonder how much he will mix the pairings up for the afternoon session.

Edited by daa84

after thinking about this whole thing more, im not so convinced that its a slam dunk for the europeans....average world rank of US team is 16, average for european team is 20

Obviously McIlroy will be favored in any matchup he is in, but eventually Ian Poulter will start playing like Ian Poulter at every other non-ryder cup event.

Its very interesting to me that Watson is saving his more consistent, conservative players (Johnson, Furyk, Kuchar) for fourball, and has his "wild cards" who can get hot in foursomes (Phil, Fowler, Bubba, Bradley - though in fairness those four will probably play the afternoon too). I wonder how much he will mix the pairings up for the afternoon session.

I am guessing that Furyk/Mahan and Kuchar/Johnson and Mickelson/Bradley all get afternoon pairings, along with whichever of the other three morning pairings performs the best.

at this point, there's no way Watson marches Webb out for the afternoon, given how he's played this morning and recently. Will be interesting to see if he sits Bubba too. The rookies are en fuego, I'd like to see them in foursomes this afternoon, especially given that they will have only played 2/3rds of a round in the morning

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 05:27 AM)
I saw somebody comment that with Phil's wife the smile is real, the tits aren't. On Phil, it's the exact opposite. :lol:

Well she's a breast cancer survivor; that's a pretty disgusting comment.

Phil, on the other hand, is one of the nicest professional athletes around...Google his tipping habits...

Stayed up til 2:30 last night to watch the first guys tee off. Finally went to bed a little after 4. Rough morning getting up for work, but worth it. Love the Ryder Cup. I'm going to make every effort to go in 2016.

I kinda did the opposite. I went to bed an hour early and got up an hour early so I could watch for an hour before coming to work. Planning on going to bed early tonight and getting up around 6 tomorrow morning to watch the end of the morning matches.