Washington Football Franchise team name discussion

Quin

Ditka is such an ass. According to him the Redskins controversy is all about the politically correct idiots in the country.

“What’s all the stink over the Redskin name? It’s so much [expletive] it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is.”

“It’s all the political correct idiots in America, that’s all it is. It’s got nothing to do with anything else. We’re going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It’s fine to protest. That’s your right, if you don’t like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that’s ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we’ve got people trying to do that, too, and they’re doing a pretty good job.”

Go f*** yourself Mike.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Ditka is such an ass. According to him the Redskins controversy is all about the politically correct idiots in the country.

Go f*** yourself Mike.

I'm so tired of Ditka. The Super Bowl was almost 30 years ago. Can Bears fans stop celebrating him? Should've had one the year after.

Both sides of the political spectrum say it should be changed, not just liberals. Very close minded response.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)

Go f*** yourself Mike.

I'm a moderately conservative registered Republican and I think the name should be changed because it's inherently racist.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
I hope Abattacola has something to tweet about Ditka or is he ascared?

Retweeted by Matt Abbatacola

Schmutzie @Schmutzie_ · 14h

Mike Ditka takes stupid to a new level re: Redskins - "It has nothing to do with something that happened lately." http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...me-controversy-

Matt Abbatacola @MattAbbatacola · 14h

Da Coach = the sports talk radio gift that keeps on giving

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Retweeted by Matt Abbatacola

Schmutzie @Schmutzie_ · 14h

Mike Ditka takes stupid to a new level re: Redskins - "It has nothing to do with something that happened lately." http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...me-controversy-

Matt Abbatacola @MattAbbatacola · 14h

Da Coach = the sports talk radio gift that keeps on giving

The gift that keeps giving seems odd. Does he really want to spend his time talking about how stupid someone is, especially Ditka in Chicago?

That may be the problem with sports radio. They don't have enough material to fill up one show, let alone 24 hours of programming a day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Considering the amount of money that guy makes for being Ditka the personality and not Ditka the coach, I think criticizing the personality is beyond fair game.

Fair game, yes. Entertaining sports radio that I want to listen to, no.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Fair game, yes. Entertaining sports radio that I want to listen to, no.

Unless it's just after a big event that I just need to hear any discussion on (Lebron leaving, NFL draft, etc), I just can't bear to listen to any of it anyway. But I guess that's for another thread. Dan Durkin's segments are the only thing worth listening to.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
that doesn't mean it's not derogatory, plus a majority of Americans are not the target of the derogation (

It is a word and also the name of a death metal band from the Ukraine.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I would be very curious if you polled america and asked them what they think of first when you say redskin. I bet the vast majority would say a football team and would not say a derogatory term.

Its totally the truth.

But if overall native americans DO find it derogatory, the precedent is there to change it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Its totally the truth.

But if overall native americans DO find it derogatory, the precedent is there to change it.

Right. When I heard the term "Fighting Sioux," I didn't think of Native Americans or the Great Sioux War or anything along those lines. I related it to UND Hockey (and their other sports). It was still changed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Too bad we can't concentrate more on taking the power out of words, instead of being national censors. We'd be much better off.

How would you suggest doing that? Is there any circumstance where you'd feel comfortable calling a person a r*dskin to their face? Or in this situation?

VV0C1t3.jpg

Pssh, i'm in agreement with Ditka. This entire issue got a bunch of PC liberals on a witch hunt, that's the only reason this became an off season scandal. That doesn't make the term more or less derogatory, but it's 100% the truth.

I also laugh at Mully and Hanley and the other ass clowns out there who are taking the "high road" and deciding they won't use the term (while simultaneously arguing that "Fighting Irish" isn't derogatory because it refers to having a fighting spirit...despite the f***ing mascot being a leprechaun with his f'n fists in the air). f*** that. Where were you last year? Or the year before? Or for the last 80 years or whatever. What, it just suddenly became a terrible word this summer when it became a media story? GMAFB.

Words change meaning over time, for good and bad. Just because a word used to be derogatory doesn't mean it's always derogatory. No one identifies Washington Redskins with native americans. It's all about the football team.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Pssh, i'm in agreement with Ditka. This entire issue got a bunch of PC liberals on a witch hunt, that's the only reason this became an off season scandal. That doesn't make the term more or less derogatory, but it's 100% the truth.

I also laugh at Mully and Hanley and the other ass clowns out there who are taking the "high road" and deciding they won't use the term (while simultaneously arguing that "Fighting Irish" isn't derogatory because it refers to having a fighting spirit...despite the f***ing mascot being a leprechaun with his f'n fists in the air). f*** that. Where were you last year? Or the year before? Or for the last 80 years or whatever. What, it just suddenly became a terrible word this summer when it became a media story? GMAFB.

Words change meaning over time, for good and bad. Just because a word used to be derogatory doesn't mean it's always derogatory. No one identifies Washington Redskins with native americans. It's all about the football team.

http://www.und.com/trads/nd-m-fb-name.html

One story suggests the moniker was born in 1899 with Notre Dame leading Northwestern 5-0 at halftime of a game in Evanston, Ill. The Wildcat fans supposedly began to chant, "Kill the Fighting Irish, kill the Fighting Irish," as the second half opened.

Another tale has the nickname originating at halftime of the Notre Dame-Michigan game in 1909. With his team trailing, one Notre Dame player yelled to his teammates - who happened to have names like Dolan, Kelly, Glynn, Duffy and Ryan - "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and you're not fighting worth a lick."

Notre Dame came back to win the game and press, after overhearing the remark, reported the game as a victory for the "Fighting Irish."

The most generally accepted explanation is that the press coined the nickname as a characterization of Notre Dame athletic teams, their never-say-die fighting spirit and the Irish qualities of grit, determination and tenacity. The term likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution. Notre Dame alumnus Francis Wallace popularized it in his New York Daily News columns in the 1920s

So, based on that, if the Irish got together and found that it was offensive to them, I think they'd have a legitimate case. Instead, I think, given the Irish heritage of the school, they view it as a source of pride anymore. I'm not Irish nor an alum of ND nor anything related to ND nor a citizen of Indiana, so I have no horse in that race.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Yes.

Under what circumstances would you feel it remotely possible to strip a word with a racial history of its power enough that you'd feel willing to use it to a person's face?

Can you give me an example of where that has happened? Even looking through words tossed at Irish or Italian Americans through time, I don't think you'd call people those today.