Horrible High School Crime re. Football Team

greg775

I've never understood these hazing crimes.

Seven high school football upperclassmen in Jersey are likely facing prison time for basically raping freshmen in the locker room. Four kids would allegedly pin the freshman player down while others did bad sexual stuff to the freshman.

I've read stories in the past about high school and even college teams doing this kind of stuff. If I'm a head football coach the first day of practice or at a team meeting the day before practice I read the players the riot act. I tell them "there is no f***ing hazing in my program. I don't care if it's a "tradition" to haze, it will not happen. We are a team, freshmen through seniors. If I get word of anybody doing anything improper you are not only off the team but the cops will be notified immediately."

Geezus. WTF were these 7 kids thinking. Thankfully my frat didn't haze in college aside from the seniors throwing eggs at us after we returned from Walkout. I'd have quit that frat before I let anybody haze me. I don't let anybody abuse me physically even if its tradition passed down. Also no sports teams I ever played on pulled this bulls***. Any of u been "hazed?"

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2014...al_assault.html

Edited by greg775

The coming of age and membership rituals go back centuries. From long periods of fasting and isolation to debutante balls they all are part of the same ritual behavior arc. We have graduations, retirement parties, swearing in ceremonies, and dedications. Think about the blood brother rituals, the fight your way in, or sex your way in to certain groups. Prove you are tough, can take pain, be silent, respect the traditions, etc.

Now why do some groups take these to extremes?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
The coming of age and membership rituals go back centuries. From long periods of fasting and isolation to debutante balls they all are part of the same ritual behavior arc. We have graduations, retirement parties, swearing in ceremonies, and dedications. Think about the blood brother rituals, the fight your way in, or sex your way in to certain groups. Prove you are tough, can take pain, be silent, respect the traditions, etc.

Now why do some groups take these to extremes?

Great post. A pessimist could say man is inherently evil or evil exists and if perverted people are included in the group the ritual makes it easy to bring out the evil. If those 7 perpetrators are sexually depraved people this gives them an opportunity to commit violent sex acts and maybe get away with them. The evil comes out in the ritual. These acts are definitely crimes and it should be interesting to see if those 7 kids go to jail or get only probation.

Intersting quote in the Yahoo article today...

"Getting to the root of the problem is difficult when victims, for the most part, are trying to become part of an inner group," said Brendan Dwyer, assistant professor at Virginia Commonwealth University's Center For Sport Leadership and a former college football coach. "They're willing to be part of a hazing ritual if they're going to be accepted on a team."

Edited by greg775

I understand the scaring part, the faux threats, the treasure hunts that could get you in trouble, even th drinking competitions. But the sodomy stuff, what THE f***.

Not only would I never want that done to me, but I would never ever in a million years want to do that to someone else

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I understand the scaring part, the faux threats, the treasure hunts that could get you in trouble, even th drinking competitions. But the sodomy stuff, what THE f***.

Not only would I never want that done to me, but I would never ever in a million years want to do that to someone else

How the f*** does that even run through one's mind to do something like that. It's ridiculous.

I'm cool with a little bit of hazing(meaning make the freshman carry your pads and what not) but this type of s*** doesn't even make any sense.

The theory is the greater the pain the tighter the bound. I am 99% certain that the coaches didn't suggest this happen. I'm certain the hazing simply went a little further each year. Mob mentality and peer pressure is a powerful thing.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
The theory is the greater the pain the tighter the bound. I am 99% certain that the coaches didn't suggest this happen. I'm certain the hazing simply went a little further each year. Mob mentality and peer pressure is a powerful thing.

Only bond that pain/experience would produce would be my fist bonding upside their jaws when I was released, or the bond they would need to get out of jail afterwards.

Parents, PARENTS, are saying that no one was harmed, that the coach taught the kids more about character than the school board, that the games should not have been cancelled, that the football team takes care of their own, etc. I wish we had our old puke icon still.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
Parents, PARENTS, are saying that no one was harmed, that the coach taught the kids more about character than the school board, that the games should not have been cancelled, that the football team takes care of their own, etc. I wish we had our old puke icon still.

People are also stupid.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)

Yeah, that's how I feel.That's why I posted that about evil coming out in these cases. To want to do that to someone else means the perpetrator is depraved. Is a sexual deviant. I guess they are out there and when you are allowed to turn the lights off as a senior and scare the freshmen, the deviants in the group apparently see it as a way to perhaps get away with a sexual crime.

Weird and sad and sickening cause like you say a normal person doesn't want to sodomize a freshman football player.

I'm glad they canceled the season. The innocent kids ... yes I"m sad for them, but hopefully they can go out of basketball. Or some of 'em can, or track in the spring.