You're Robin Ventura

hi8is

"Alright. f***!"

Flip table and kick over a cooler. Seethe for a few brief moments with teeth grit, breath held, and face red.

"f***!!!"

Walk over to the cooler, pick it up, and throw it outside the clubhouse into the tunnel under Safeco.

"First off - Saler, I'll never take your destiny out of your own hands again. I failed you. You pitched another gem and I robbed you of this win. But come on guys. We've been playing like A ball players lately. Fraizer, you've been looking embarrising up there - throwing bats beyond third base, losing your helmet on swings at crap in the dirt. Stop pressing and just let it go man. All of you, 1 through 9... Let it go! Relax.

You're all wound up tight and you're pressing. Let me be tight. Let me be the one who loses his cool."

Take off jersey and put it in the trash.

"We've got a Rook here in Anderson who's playing with the most comfort at the plate. D-Rob, Carson Fulmer looked more composed and in control against Albert f***ing Pujos... In his first major league appearance! If you miss your spots like this again and piss the bed one more time - you're sitting for a week with spot relief stints in the 7th God damned inning."

Go grab a few water bottles and throw them each in different directions at the walls.

"You all are playing major league f***ing baseball and there's no damned fire! You all have the talent that hardly any men on this f***ing earth posses but you're trying so damned hard that your all getting yourself out. Jose, every time you're at the plate from now on - just imagine yourself in Havana on an empty field taking cuts in the sun man. All of you - stop trying and just f***ing DO. Find that effortless place you all have called 'instinct' and LIVE there on my f***ing field."

Take hat off and let shoulders drop.

"If you're all going to prove anything - prove to yourselves you're great. Show yourself you're ball players. That this game is in your blood. No drills tomorrow. No cages. Just get lose and stretch out. Then get on the f***ing field when it's god damned game time and BE WHO YOU ARE.

Because you're not this. You're all better than this. I know it."

Walk out of the room and on the way out as the doors closing,

"NOW SHOW YOURSELF THAT YOU KNOW IT TOO!"

Go to hotel room, grab cell phone, and have a drink.

Send wife one text, "I'll be home for good soon, honey. Going to bed. Love you and the kids."

Edited by hi8is

"Allright.. you guys played great tonite.. that's baseball.. we gotta get better, and we will... there's always tomorrow…."

"Anyways, I'm bushed.. nite all, see ya tomorrow"

Later in the hotel room, on cell to JR

RV: "Boy Jerry, that closer sucks.. what was Hahn and Kenny thinking?

JR: "Really Robin? hmmm.. what happened? I didn't watch the game"

RV: "Yeah, we lost.. in the bottom of the ninth"

JR: "Damn…anyways, if the wife is in town next week, you guys are invited for little dinner party..Kenny and Rick will be there"

RV: "That sounds good.. man this a long season, is it over yet? (laughter)

JR" "OK, nite .. nice job tonite, as always"

Stand in the middle of the room

"Sale come up here for a second. Now every one of you take a look at this man, really look at him. This man just left every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears that is humanly possible out there on that field tonight. And when he was at the very end, when he was at the point where his body just couldn't give any more he turned to his brothers to pick him up, this team up and finish it for him."

Walk over to D Rob and point at him

"Did you pick him up, us up?"

Turn to Abreu and point at him

"Did you?"

Turn to Navarro and shake your head a little

"Did you?"

Look up and down the rest of the locker room

"Did any of us? Everyone of you have the skills to be great, otherwise you'd be working 8-5 boring ass jobs like the other 99 % of the world. Do you realize what is going on in this world right now? Look at us, we get to play a GAME that we love every night and make a living doing it. Do you think those officers in Dallas or Baton Rouge didn't give every ounce of energy that they had. Every damn ounce."

Just pause and look around slowly at every face in the room.

"Tomorrow I want everyone of you to do something for me. I want you to be dragged off the field by you team-mates because you gave it your all. Swing like it was your last at bat, run until your legs are weak, stretch a little further, and throw a little harder. Play this game like you were 13 again and didn't have a care in the world."

Look back at Sale

"I remember the first homerun I ever hit. I remember the joy and PRIDE I had as I rounded 3rd and headed towards home. Sale do you remember what it felt to get that first strikeout. We all do, that's why we play this game, that's the way we should feel every night."

As you are saying the last sentence start slowly walking out of the room.

"Do you guys feel that way tonight? I don't."

"Do you guys know how many fans back in Chicago went to sleep last night thinking that the latest slump in this s*** show we call the 2016 season was over? Well, not a lot, but that's besides the point. We let those fans down again, guys. Again. Do you guys want to play baseball? Do you care about winning? I may look like I'm halfway to a coma most of the time, but I care. I occasionally wake up long enough to see this s***. And what I see makes me sick."

*sits down with a huff* *points at Abreu and Robertson*

"Did you know that soxtalk.com is going to remove you shlubs from the banner? Did you? Yeah, how does that make you feel? I wish I could get paid millions of dollars to do a s***ty job-"

*snaps his head up when he hears snickers from the group*

"Yeah, keep laughing, asshats. You're going to cost me my job."

*points at Avi*

"And what the f*** do you do here? What purpose do you serve?"

*stands up and starts pacing*

"You know, I might just call it quits. You guys depress the hell out of me. I'm going to go ask Hahn to trade me to the Cubs. I'll just go be their locker room custodian."

*smiles dreamily*

"Yeah, that sounds nice. Later losers.*

*walks out of the locker room*

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Avila and Jackson made the playoffs four consective seasons.

Shields in 2008 and 2014...in the World Series.

Robertson with the Yankees when he could throw 96-98.

Cabrera with the Giants.

Morneau and Gonzalez have played in the playoffs multiple seasons as well.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
"Do you guys know how many fans back in Chicago went to sleep last night thinking that the latest slump in this s*** show we call the 2016 season was over? Well, not a lot, but that's besides the point. We let those fans down again, guys. Again. Do you guys want to play baseball? Do you care about winning? I may look like I'm halfway to a coma most of the time, but I care. I occasionally wake up long enough to see this s***. And what I see makes me sick."

*sits down with a huff* *points at Abreu and Robertson*

"Did you know that soxtalk.com is going to remove you shlubs from the banner? Did you? Yeah, how does that make you feel? I wish I could get paid millions of dollars to do a s***ty job-"

*snaps his head up when he hears snickers from the group*

"Yeah, keep laughing, asshats. You're going to cost me my job."

*points at Avi*

"And what the f*** do you do here? What purpose do you serve?"

*stands up and starts pacing*

"You know, I might just call it quits. You guys depress the hell out of me. I'm going to go ask Hahn to trade me to the Cubs. I'll just go be their locker room custodian."

*smiles dreamily*

"Yeah, that sounds nice. Later losers.*

*walks out of the locker room*

Is this supposed to be Ventura or Chris Sale?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Morneau and Gonzalez have played in the playoffs multiple seasons as well.

Not to mention the Rays' other playoff appearances for Shields.

Rollins, definitely.

You'd have to think Navarro made it a few times....surely with TB.

Albers, maybe.

Frazier once or twice with the Reds.

Cabrera with the Giants.

Neither Avila and Jackson are playing.

Shields hasn't been here very long.

Cabrera was suspended for the last couple months and didn't play in the post season.

The Yankees never won anything when Roberston was there.

So maybe ... a little bit there.. but still pretty thin.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Neither Avila and Jackson are playing.

Shields hasn't been here very long.

Cabrera was suspended for the last couple months and didn't play in the post season.

The Yankees never won anything when Roberston was there.

So maybe ... a little bit there.. but still pretty thin.

You're only discounting Shields, Avila and Jackson's playoff experience because it doesn't fit the narrative.

And you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about because Melky and Robertson were both on the 2009 Yankees that won the World Series. Robertson also pitched in 3 other postseasons and Melky was also in the playoffs 2 other times with the Yankees and once with the Braves.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
You're only discounting Shields, Avila and Jackson's playoff experience because it doesn't fit the narrative.

And you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about because Melky and Robertson were both on the 2009 Yankees that won the World Series. Robertson also pitched in 3 other postseasons and Melky was also in the playoffs 2 other times with the Yankees and once with the Braves.

I completely forgot the 2009 Yankees... I hadn't remembered the Yankees winning one in quite awhile.

So I guess... on our 40 man roster we have 5 players with playoff experience.

I guess that's probably common on many bad/mediocre teams.

Not sure if it changes my initial "narrative" - we don't have many players who have experienced winning/know how to win at the big league level.

Edited by harkness

Cabrera with the Giants.

A simple 2 second search could tell you that that Robertson has never once in his career averaged 96-98. The highest he has ever averaged on his fastball was 93.1 mph in 2011.