White Sox players protested in Seattle

Jose Abreu

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
Nice to see these guys continue to be focused on winning

I do agree with their objection to this one. At least Sale controlled himself and didn't attack the food table with a knife.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
I do agree with their objection to this one. At least Sale controlled himself and didn't attack the food table with a knife.

Their opinion is legit. Just seems like they let things escalate too much

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Their opinion is legit. Just seems like they let things escalate too much

Doesn't sound like it. They had a complaint, took it to the proper authorities and were unsatisfied with the outcome. They took measures to protect the "staff." They didn't break any rules and i'm sure they tipped the staff personally.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Doesn't sound like it. They had a complaint, took it to the proper authorities and were unsatisfied with the outcome. They took measures to protect the "staff." They didn't break any rules and i'm sure they tipped the staff personally.

This,i don't see the issue. Everyone has their "Sox are a joke" goggles on right now and completely warranted but this was a legit complaint that even the article says other teams had also questioned. I see no problem here.

Yeah this one actually sounds like the Sox were being the stand-up guys, I applaud them for making a stand against what sounds like a terrible policy by the M's. Teams are raking in the cash...pretty lousy they're trying to redirect money away from what I can only assume is a very poorly paid member of the staff in the Clubhouse Attendant. Trying to offset the cost of food is a joke, and if the other attendants aren't being paid enough, then the Mariners can give them a damn raise on their own.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
So the clubhouse manager collects all dues and tips, then redirects 40 percent(!!!!) to himself, and the Sox are jerks for saying that is bulls***?

I agree with them.

It's not that. It's usually the clubhouse manager collects them all and after paying for the food and such he distributes it among the rest of the clubhouse staff. What Seattle is doing is only letting him handle 40% because he must give 60% of the money to the Mariners front office and then they determine how it is distributed.

In other words the clubhouse staff do not have control of the money that the visiting players are giving to the clubhouse staff.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
So the clubhouse manager collects all dues and tips, then redirects 40 percent(!!!!) to himself, and the Sox are jerks for saying that is bulls***?

Under the system that they like, the clubhouse manager controls 100% of the dues and tips; he uses it to buy the food and give money to the underlings.

Under what they don't like, the clubhouse manager takes 40% for himself, and then the organization takes the 60% to guy food and pay the underlings.

I don't know if the are right or wrong, but concentrate on baseball, please.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Under the system that they like, the clubhouse manager controls 100% of the dues and tips; he uses it to buy the food and give money to the underlings.

Under what they don't like, the clubhouse manager takes 40% for himself, and then the organization takes the 60% to guy food and pay the underlings.

Do you have a job you should be concentrating on?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)

The issue is that in all other ballparks the clubhouse guy controls all the money and after buying the food and such distributes it to the other clubhouse staff. In this case he only controls 40% while the team controls 60%. The white sox want their dues and tips to stay in under clubhouse control not going to the team to control. Essentially the team is determining who gets the tips not the clubhouse manager.

I can't believe people have a problem with the players sticking up for the "little guys" in the clubhouse. The players want their tips to go to the guys for which they are intended.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
The issue is that in all other ballparks the clubhouse guy controls all the money and after buying the food and such distributes it to the other clubhouse staff. In this case he only controls 40% while the team controls 60%. The white sox want their dues and tips to stay in under clubhouse control not going to the team to control. Essentially the team is determining who gets the tips not the clubhouse manager.

I can't believe people have a problem with the players sticking up for the "little guys" in the clubhouse. The players want their tips to go to the guys for which they are intended.

yep. agree 100%.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)

Not guys - guy. Under the system they like, one guy" controls 100%. He determines what the other little guys get.

But I understand - the money is meant for the clubhouse attendants, not for the owners.

They should at least put the money in escrow....or pay no dues, but pay the equivalent of dues + tip all as tip, which the clubhouse manager gets which he would dutifully disperse.

Edited by GreenSox

The teams should have not horned in on their age old policy of tipping the clubbies. Cheapskate front offices. Baseball is an amazing sport. They pay the players so much money it's like 4-5 million dollars is nothing but a drop in the bucket. Then they nickle and dime the regular workers. Remember when the Cubs balked about paying the grounds crew and sent 'em home then it started raining? Now this?

I even think money is a reason teams are more reluctant to fire managers. I truly think they don't want to have to pay the new manager as well as the existing manager who gets fired. I back the Sox on this one.

IMHO, this practice by the Mariners should be illegal. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, tips are the property of a tipped employee. While this is normally applied to restaurant workers and the like, this feels like the same situation.

The White Sox did the right thing here. They're not tipping the Mariners, they're tipping their employees.

Edited by Deadpool

Nobody has ever complained it was unfair to pay Keppinger, Bonifacio, Rollins or Morneau, etc., those salaries.

On the other hand, Alexei was underpaid quite clearly...until they corrected it.

At any rate, it continues the emerging storyline the Sox are not focused due to peripheral/off the field issues, when getting back into the Wild Card race would have been the sole driver for a winning organization. All we seem to get these days are distractions, and not entirely positive ones.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Nobody has ever complained it was unfair to pay Keppinger, Bonifacio, Rollins or Morneau, etc., those salaries.

On the other hand, Alexei was underpaid quite clearly...until they corrected it.

At any rate, it continues the emerging storyline the Sox are not focused due to peripheral/off the field issues, when getting back into the Wild Card race would have been the sole driver for a winning organization. All we seem to get these days are distractions, and not entirely positive ones.

This distraction argument never holds any water. When Drake LaRoche was a major distraction, the team started out 23-10. Only after that did the wheels fall off (no noticeable distractions). You're trying and failing to connect two things that don't matter.

Baseball players are human beings. They don't only focus on baseball. If they feel like this Mariners system is a scam (it is), I applaud them for acting.

Edited by Deadpool